WARNING - Betfair account hacked / fraud

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
LeTiss

Euler wrote:They have no choice but to escalate it now I think, they will have to go to the police I would imagine. I'm curious now as to how widespread this issue is.

All the cases I have seen so far seem odd in that the account holders seem to have taken all normal security precautions. So how can somebody log on with one attempt and clean out the accounts?!?!?!
I'm keen to know if these victims have anything in common at all? It might even be something minor that we're overlooking
andyfuller

I am surprised he hasn't already taken it to the Police tbh. If someone came into your home and took x amount of money off the side you would ring them straight away. He needs to get a Police incident number.

If it happened to me I would be going straight to the Telegraph guy - bet he would love to do a follow up story on the security breech one that he broke. I am sure a journalist could write an article that would combine the two stories and leave people asking question if the two stories are linked.

Madness if they don't as they have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Euler

I think I have to start a campaign for Betfair to improve security. Given how terms are enforced on customers and the security issue that they didn't make public, better security is now a MUST!

In the meantime, everybody, please make sure you take all necessary precautions to protect your account.
Euler

andyfuller wrote:I am surprised he hasn't already taken it to the Police tbh. If someone came into your home and took x amount of money off the side you would ring them straight away. He needs to get a Police incident number.
I guess they sort of hoped it would be sorted without referring it.
andyfuller

Yeah I guess - but now I think they need to go to their local nick and get an incident number. The police won't be any use but they need to make this step imo. Also it would give their story more credence.
Iron

Might be something to raise with the CEO.

As you said, he'll probably want to make his mark pretty quickly, so this could be something that he could use to send out a message that he means business...

Jeff
Euler wrote:I think I have to start a campaign for Betfair to improve security.
LeTiss

I wonder if the police will be interested though?

When I was the victim of online fraud, they told me to deal with my bank's fraud department instead. To avoid mountains of paperwork, online frauds were taken out of their hands and put into the hands of the bank or company website's fraud team.

On that basis, BF's fraud team might be judge and jury!

This is why I think the press needs to be involved. BF will react quicker when they know public confidence is being eroded
Euler

What about if this was a system error? Betfair's attitude seems to quote T&C's and not investigate it very much. There could be somebody out there that thought he lost a load of money but has got away with it!
Euler

I was defrauded by a bookie many moons ago. They took some money on deposit and refused to return it. The trouble you seem to have with authorities is that they don't have much sympathy for gamblers!

I resolved my issue by finding the head office of the company involved. I bypassed security and went directly to the MD's office. He was at lunch so I sat in his chair and waited for him to return. He realised he wasn't going to win and paid out. A bit extreme but it worked!
to75ne

LeTiss 4pm wrote:I wonder if the police will be interested though?
when my account was robbed. i reported it to the police.
well it was not a real copper, one of those part time muppets in a part time cop shop.

it was hard work getting a crime number out of him.he could not seem to understand that a theft had occurred. because betfair refunded me, he could not get round his head the fact that i had still been robbed. no matter how many times i told him, it was irrelevant whether i or betfair was out of pocket, a theft from my account had happend.

i have not heard anything from the police since and dont expect to sadly.

i would hope that the person concerned does go to the police and i would advise seeing its a large chunk of change that as been nicked, not to go to the local police station, or have anything to do with part time noddy coppers, but go the regional headquarters in their area, and insist on seeing someone from cid.

im disgusted my betfairs attitude towards this person but im not surprised, they are what they are, no class.
morante1

Not sure that taking money out of your account after each session as someone suggested is workable. In Australia it takes a few days for the funds to hit the account if you use Bpay. If you use a credit card it may be faster but BF charge you 1.5% of each transaction. One thought I had was to tie up the money overnight ie laying or backing something at ridiculous odds to the value of your account. The risk is that someone may accept the bet overnight, but if the odds are stupid then its probably not a problem as you should be able to lay off. Anyone see a problem with this strategy?
LeTiss

Funny you should say that Morante, but that's exactly what I done last night.

I've become a bit paranoid about this, so last night I spread money across various selections at ridiculous odds. If some of it gets matched, then even better.

I'm not sure if these fraudsters though will be stopped in their tracks by this. There's a default message from BF about having unmatched bets when logging out, so once they are into your account they could easily cancel them I suppose
Zenyatta

Do you have any idea how they were getting into your Betfair account? Was the problem at Betfair's end, or do you think malware installed on your own computer had capatured your passwords?

Just last week my security software caught someone ramaging around on my computer. I traced the problem, and it turns out the hacker got in via security holes (exploits) in the older versions of the Java runtime environment. You need to make sure that you always get the latest patches and updates for installed applications. In real-time, I saw that the hacker had access to my computer and was installing password capture bots, worms and other nasties. My security software was constantly removing the malware, but the hacker was somehow still getting back in. Sometimes malware is so well hidden it can't be removed. I had no choice but to reformat my entire hard disk from back-up. Since I installed the latest version of the Java runtime environment (ver 6.29 with security patches), the hacker hasn't been able to get back in.
Iron

morante1 wrote:One thought I had was to tie up the money overnight ie laying or backing something at ridiculous odds to the value of your account.
It can't hurt, but if someone is clever enough to hack into your account, they'll probably be able to work out how to cancel your unmatched bets...

Jeff
Iron

I asked Betfair if it was possible for customers to only allow connections from particular IP addresses (another simple, low cost security measure, you might think).

Their reply was about as useful as a chocolate fireguard:

Unfortunately we do not have an IP blocking facility I'm afraid, you can however check your last 10 login attempts through the 'My Account' section by selecting 'My Security'.

We ask that you have a strong password and strong security questions to prevent fraudulent access to your account, as well as investing in good Anti Virus software to protect your information.

Gee thanks guys - That would never have occured to me...

Jeff

Return to “Betfair exchange”