What causes your losses

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
steven1976

Not understanding a sport can cause losses. Stick to what you know would be my best advice. I know traders who make 20k + a month on football for many years, but constantly lose on horses.
Bluesky

steven1976 wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:30 pm
Not understanding a sport can cause losses. Stick to what you know would be my best advice. I know traders who make 20k + a month on football for many years, but constantly lose on horses.
Excellent advice, imagine how wonderful it must be making that kind of money from a sport you really enjoy watching.
weemac

Buying high, selling low.
threedogs

Excellent reading about the issues which affect the price of a horse however Adam Todd say it doesnt matter which way a price goes it is how you deal with the trade thats vital and does something called advanced coin toss trading which just proves that price direction taken at complete random will make profits by how the trade is managed ...
ruthlessimon

... & one of those options, is to just hold to post.

Which, done 1000 times, ends up looking something like this:

The most likely scenarios being a return on stake, between 0.0% & -0.4%

Which might explain why he no longer trades
threedogs

Hahahahaha suggest you do some research on him .....
threedogs

Also you COMPLETELY missed the point which is it doesnt matter which way you trade back or lay its the way you manage the trade thats important and makes money ..I hope thats clear now
to75ne

i agree (firmly believe) that how you manage your positions is paramount along with handling yourself (emotions), but the markets have evolved along way from when adam todd was promoting his software, i doubt if his "coin flipping method " would be successful these days, due to number of false moves that occur now, i reckon you would more often than not be cutting for a lose as opposed to more often than not cutting out on a gain.

i could be wrong maybe someone will try some aggressive coin tossing and report the outcome. i dont believe it would be effective these days over the long run.
SeaHorseRacing

Just try not to lose money. Sound so simple. But it really is the key. Don’t get into stupid positions.

A stupid position could we be just 1 tick in in the red.

Defensive. Get to grips with that than move on from their.
ruthlessimon

threedogs wrote:
Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:09 pm
Also you COMPLETELY missed the point which is it doesnt matter which way you trade back or lay its the way you manage the trade thats important and makes money ..I hope thats clear now
Which in layman terms means, "have an edge".

Let's say I randomly enter, then I spot something occur in the market, & I cancel my trade. If that limits my negativity (longterm), I've found an edge.

Problem is most people who follow a coin-flipping strategy, are doing it because it looks so easy. & I have a big problem with that.
stueytrader

Coin flipping/random entry point sounds easy on the entry point as an idea (of course!).

Difficulty of course is the exit point.
threedogs

Adam Todd does a video about "advanced coin flip strategy" and of course the title is just a joke but what he does is trade with just a random bet either back or lay and shows how to make profit and lose nothing or near to nothing by the trading style he uses and on a serious not he states that you do not have to know anything about horses jockeys trainers tracks weather form etx etc etc ..all you need to know is how to trade a market from wherever you enter it and thats enough to make money ..fascinating ...simple enter take a tick or two and out rinse and repeat very easy ..if it starts to go against you scratch fast ,,so easy its what I do ..
rayhigh

Hi threedogs

Can you check your private messages?... I sent you one a few weeks ago but it's still sat in my Outbox, I think because you've not read it.

I'd be interested to get your thoughts.

Regards... Ray
stueytrader

If you enter a market randomly, then your returns in terms of profit/loss are also going to be random.

Caveat, that you enter a market entirely randomly - even a small reason for entering is not random of course.
threedogs

If it makes money and its easy whats the problem ? ...

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”