iMac vs PC

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
grigsy

Hi

After more than a month out of action since my PC decided to boycott BA of its own accord, I have reached the point where I can just about justify getting shot of it and getting a new one.

The choice I have now is whether to go with the new iMac or stick with a PC. Having never owned a Mac before, I was wondering if those that have experience of both can offer any advice. I'm particularly taken with the 27" monitor, which will probably remove the need for dual monitors.

But the first obvious question is does BA run just the same on a Mac? I can't find anywhere on this forum, the BA website or in any of the user documentation that even gives the subject a mention.

Any thoughts or recommendations anybody, please?
PeterLe

Hi Grigsy
I think there are a few posts on here on the Imac..
I use one every day and love it.

A couple of points:
If you run BA on the Mac OS you will need to use something like Fusion software (it creates a standalone windows environment within MacOS). I eventually stopped using this as there is a small amount of latency(<200ms), so not ideal for trading!

I now use VPS and connect via RDC. Works perfectly.
I also have three addition monitors on an ergotron stand connected via a "Matrox Triple Head to go" adapter card (I posted a picture on here some time ago, attached)

I have been toying with upgrading my 24" to a 27". Getting rid of my three monitors and buying an Apple refurbished 27 and using it as a slave monitor, but the missus thinks I'm being obsessive..and although I haven't said so, I think she's right!
If I have a good summer I might just treat myself!
Regards
Peter
PS I originally bought the Imac as my main system at home as I work from home and a number of colleagues recommended it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
grigsy

Thanks for the great reply Peter, much appreciated. How easy is it to use VPS and connect through RDC? Is this easy to set up? For someone simple enough to not what exactly that all means? I'm not in the least bit technical I'm afraid, so the ability to run BA will be all important if I am to switch to iMac.
PeterLe

Hi Grigsy,

The VPS (Virtual Private Server) is a service provided by BA (Circa £35/Month). It provides you with a base windows platform that you can install the BA Server Edition software (As you would do on your own system at home).

RDC (remote Desktop Connection) is a free application from Microsoft that you can download and run on your Imac (I also have it on my Iphone and Ipad (Yes I'm an Apple fan!), all very easy to set up too.

For me, the VPS is well worth the money. Take today for instance. I have setup all the races for today (which finish after 8pm this evening). At 6ish I will be driving to Reading for a couple of days and will close the application tonight when I get to the hotel. Tomorrow I will access the VPS from the hotel in the morning and load the markets, all very easy.

Regards
Peter
walshy

Hi Peter,

The RDC that you mention you have on your iPad, will it also work to connect from an ipad to a windows pc? Also what is the full title of it in the app store? as I can seem to find it.

Thanks
PeterLe

walshy wrote:Hi Peter,

The RDC that you mention you have on your iPad, will it also work to connect from an ipad to a windows pc? Also what is the full title of it in the app store? as I can seem to find it.

Thanks
Hi Walshy
Yes you should be fine connecting to a windows PC
The app name is RDP Lite (Which is free) by Mochasoft
regards
Peter
walshy

Thanks Peter,

I'll have a look for it.
mugsgame

I too use a 27" imac i7. It blows me away. Once you have had a Mac you won't go back. It will take a couple of weeks to get used to the differences, but for ease of use and reliability it is awesome. Mine is 18 months old and has never crashed. It is very fast.

The only negative I have is that Excel (office for mac) is poor. The features the PC versions don't work well. All the PC spreadsheets once transfered to Mac went weird (ie the formatting didn't transfer properly).
If you use the VPS this won't be an issue, as you can install Office on the VPS server.
andyfuller

PeterLe wrote: I also have three addition monitors on an ergotron stand connected via a "Matrox Triple Head to go" adapter card (I posted a picture on here some time ago, attached)
Came across this thread when looking for some info on the Ipad, may I suggest you invest in some cable management. The difference a cluter free environment can make I find is huge so a few quid spent on some cable wraps, or my new favourite is a roll of Velcrom which you can cut to length is money well spent - though you could say I am a perfectionist ;)

Nice setup though!
mugsgame

Peter,

Just looking at your setup again.
I have to say how impressed I am with the tidiness of your desk. It inspired me to tidy mine up (ok, ok my wife nagging did influence me too). Shame about the cup not on a coaster................. :D
PeterLe

Ha ha!
Not quite as tidy right now I can tell you!

..but joking apart...if my desk is a mess It does bother me when I trade?
I like it to be really clean (and dusted!), a bit anal, but I find I concentrate better when it is nice and clean!
andyfuller

Fully agree, hence my little comment about the cables ;)

It is that attention to detail that is important in trading imo. Watch the video of Peter Webb's setup and you also see it is clean and tidy. All helps to get you in the right mindset I find.
PeterLe

andyfuller wrote:Fully agree, hence my little comment about the cables ;)
ha ha! Cables fixed in release V1.1 ! :D
Morph

Hi,

I am also considering going for a mac and have been told that an alternative to fusion is "boot camp". As I understand this it effectively partitions your Mac so that you can load windows on one half. You decide on which operating system you will use for a particular session at boot-up.

Does anyone have any experience of this ?

If true, it strikes me that a partitioned Mac may give the best of both worlds, enabling no-latency use of BA as normal aswell as the option of VPS.

Any comments appreciated
PeterLe

Hi
I have fusion on mine and no longer use it.
The reason being is that it does have a very slight latency and therefore adds to the delay (only millisecs, but that is significant esp for in running)...

Bootcamp - (although I dont use that either) allows to partition your hard drive and boot native windows...(ie Either Mac OS OR Windows, but not simultaneous)..

For me; the best combination is to boot MAC os and then use RDP to remote to a VPS.

The beauty of the MAC OS is just simply that it is more more resilient than windows (derived from a Unix OS). A mate of mine convinced me to get a MAC. When I asked him why I should change, he said "Because it just works"
The Imac was the first apple product I bought (other than the Ipod) and I would never go back to using a windows PC for my day to day job. ( i sometime have to use my company laptop when I go to head office and it just doesn't feel right? )

regards
Peter
Edit: You would also have to buy a copy of windows if you were to install it via bootcamp..

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”