Auto trade during the day

Discussion regarding the spreadsheet functionality of Bet Angel.
steph60220

Hi everyone, Does anyone auto trade during the day? meaning setting up betangel to trade for you during the day? Like everyone, i have a day job and don't have much time in my hand to watch the trading screen during the day.
Any comments, would be great.
Cheers
Human123

If only it was that easy!

But i suppose the triggers are there for someone to be using somewhere?
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We do have a number of users that auto trade during the day. But this does have its risks for sure.

We recently put a video up of an autotrading spreadsheet. The basis of the spreadsheet is the clear status cells workbook which is in the spreadsheet area of the forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmBOhMpE5UI
Jimmy

Hi Peter,

Looks interesting, Were can I download a copy of the spreadsheet you show on the video.

Thanks

Jimmy
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We have had a few users run through this, so it should be ok to run. Just bear in mind that you should test comprehensively any automated strategy and use minimum stakes until you are confident that you know what you are doing and the risks you take. Automation can sometimes do strange things so please be careful! Lecture over!

Update: An improved version of the sheet is now located here:

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2085
followthatcamel

Hi Peter, thanks for providing the attached.

Recognising that it is a base from which to build from and it is up to everyone to expand upon its current capabilities if they want to, not being an EXCEL expert I have a couple of questions for the gurus out there:

The description of the formula in CELL E25 appears not to match the actual formula in E25 - is this just a typo or is it relevant to the process in any way?

How do I get the spreadsheet to trade more than one runner - do I just type in the command "=Sheet2!E20" in the relevant runners Bet rules field in column L on the Bet Angel spreadsheet, or do I have to replicate the instructions for runner one on sheet2 for the other runner(s)and put the appropriate command in column L?

If I just have to type in the command, won't this mean that the spreadsheet will not fire any new orders on a runner if there are unmatched bets on another runner outstanding?

Any guidance provided will be much appreciated.
Regards
Doug
Jimmy

Hi Peter,

Yes thanks.

Also does anyone no how to make it automatically trade the just 1st or 2nd Fav with out having to manually select them.?

Thanks

Jimmy
Zenyatta

I would just reiterate Peter's remark to be very careful of automation. I played around with automation on Excel for several months, and most of my attempts at automated strategies were fairly disastrous.

The main BetAngel application is an excellent product, unfortunately the spreadsheet functionality is no-where near as good, and clearly wasn't designed with automation in mind. There are all sorts of subtle issues and problems, and you need to know a lot about Excel, I ended up receiving a rather expensive crash-course in Excel, and my final spreadsheet formulas compensating for the myrid of subtle problems look complex.

The vast majority of generic mechanical strategies will lose you money as well, and even the few that work are probably only marginally above break even. I found that it's far more effective to focus your attention on a few selections where you have very specific information and bet/trade big on those few, rather than trying to apply general strategies to everything.

You have been warned!
Lagos

Zenyatta
What if you have no 'specific information'. Where would you come by such information?
Are you a stable/jockey insider? If so could you win without this information....assuming you do win.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I probably wouldn't be as negative as that, we do have a number of users who just use spreadsheets to trade while they go about their daily business. Using automation has helped me find a whole host of things I couldn't have without it. It also allowed me to explore and understand new markets in depth as well as improving my existing trading capabilites. I now use it to trade markets I can't or in a complimentary manner. I can effectively trade 24*7 using the spreadsheet.

I think it can help everybody even if it is just a case of improving discipline or finding better entry or exit points. My point was that it can go horribly wrong if you don't test, double and triple test it. Use minimum stakes for until you are completely confident you have trapped all possible errors, even human ones!
Zenyatta

By 'specific information' I just mean doing your homework and looking through things like the sports media and sports news reports.
mtrend

Hi,

With this spreadsheet is it supposed just clear the 'status' column for that particular race & then you have to click start to clear it for the next one & so on ?

Or is it as I thought, meant to just keep clearing the 'status' column constantly whilst cycling through the races ?

Im using Excel 2010 & it only seems to work for one race & then you have to click start again ready for the next race & so on ?!
Dabbla

mtrend .If you put races/events in to guardian and select auto switch markets. You can have the sheet constantly cycling through the races.

Open the auto sheet in the normal excel feature.

One thing I did find was that if I use a trigger to stop refreshing.For examlpe.I would stop the automation 5 secs before the race by using (IF)<5 then 0.
When I done this I found that the sheet would not restart. So you really you need to keep the "Clear Status cells every" above 0 and use other triggers to stop the automation.
That’s what I found anyway. Also remember that you have to be clicked on to sheet 2 for the auto to work.
streetcry

I have just opened a sheet i wrote for autotrading in excel a year or so ago on bet angel and the data from betangel is going in all the wrong columns now : is there new template sheet ????
Mug

There was a wholesale change some time ago. The software has three new templates included automatically.

Return to “Bet Angel - Spreadsheet / Excel chat”