How do you know you have a profitable system?

A place to discuss anything.
foxwood

marksmeets302 wrote:
Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:59 am
foxwood, I usually remove the outliers which are a result of problems with betfair, internet connection etc. After that, I'm often left with something that is normally distributed. Of course it will have a positive or negative mean depending on the profitability of the strategy, but a skew is rare in my opinion. Some years ago I spend some time on how to check if a distribution is normal. It seems you can use something called the Jarque-Bera test for this. If you google for it you'll find tools that perform this test for you.
Many thanks for that - like most of these formulae it looks horrendous to implement but seems there are some Excel and package solutions that will take the grunt out of it.

Turns out the strategy I am looking at is bimodal (ie two humps) - the losses and profits each form roughly normal distributions either side of the zero line.

Could be because my graph Y axis is abs(total pnl) at X axis points of 'PL £ per race'. Might try graphing the numbers in different ways to see if can view it as a normal distribution before the headaches set in !
brunty122

Hi,

I have been reading this post and applying some of the methods to my results. I am struggling however when it comes to the Monte Carlo simulation. I have data over 243 races which I know is quite small at the minute but wanted to give it a go anyway.

I know my average profit over the 243 races and the standard deviation.
Ive also worked out the +/- standard deviation to 3500 races.

Could anybody point me in the right direction as to how I would do the Monte Carlo simulation in excel? :)

Thanks
brunty122
brunty122

Anyone?

I have data for 506 races now but I am still unsure as to how I would go about doing the Monte Carlo simulation

Thanks
Brunty122
marksmeets302

This: https://excel.tv/monte-carlo-simulation ... -download/ seems to have a nice explanation
brunty122

marksmeets302 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:30 pm
This: https://excel.tv/monte-carlo-simulation ... -download/ seems to have a nice explanation
Cheers! Easy video to follow
brunty122

Hi

The Below graph is the P/L using past data for 452 days for one of my strategies. These are the results from paper betting not actually using real money in the market, however I dont think the results would differ to much as it is more of a value betting strategy using flat stakes which I dont feel will have a problem being matched.
P L Chart.png
It showed an average profit of £17.93 and a Std Dev of 75.71

The bit that is slightly concerning and what I would like some feedback on is the results of the + - Std Dev results.
It showed that over 1000 days the results would be between the number shown below to a 95.4% certanty

Std Dev - =£-24,991.6
Std Dev+ =£60,851.6

The bit that looks scary is obviously the -£24,991 as I could go the best part of 2 years and be negative by quite abit. I was wondering if this is normal for a value betting type strategy. I have had a mess around with the number of days I have been looking at and changed the 1000 days to 10,000 to see what impact it would have on the results. That changes the figures to

Std Dev - = 43,569.9
Std Dev + = 315,030.1

As shown by the graph it is showing an up trend but that -£24,991 suprised me quite abit and I just wanted some feedback. I may have even done the calculations wrong so feel free to tell me!

I have also run a Monte Carlo simulation and its showing that over 50 months on average 90% of months will be in profit

Thanks
Brunty122
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by brunty122 on Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Atho55

I am also testing strategies taken from 1 years worth of Betfair data and have found that even in practice mode the results are not always representative of the paper results and despite both my Back and Lay being place x @ SP y I have occurances that they do not get matched or get matched at different odds.

I`m not sure if this will help you in your decision making but I have found that by summing the returns by day then plotting this accumulatively you can project your past returns forward as a guide to measure the present ones against. The idea being to see if the areas of losses could be avoided. Only a couple of weeks in but you can get the gist from these. The Blue line is from 2016-2017 and represents actual paper returns projected forward. The actual results from the rules applied in BA are below it.

Hope that helps

Glyn
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marksmeets302

brunty122, the negative number of -24K is not that surprising at 1000 data points. In that case it would mean you had been very unlucky on an extraordinary number of days. The pnl of a day is the result of several races. If you take a single race result as one data point instead of a full day you will get different means and standard deviations, but 1000 days will now be much more data points, perhaps 30000 or so. You will see that you need much less days to rule out a loss with 95% probability.

The best way to go about this is to actually ask for the individual race profit and losses, betfair can provide those numbers for you. There is a shortcut though: there's a way to scale the results. If you do let's say 30 races per day then you can take your original mean, divide it by 30, and your original standard deviation and divide it by the square root of 30. You probably will not have a fixed number of races per day, and I think the more they fluctuate the less useful this method will be.

There's also a third method: just look at the graph. That's a beautiful curve! I wouldn't worry too much.
Congratulations, very well done.
brunty122

Thanks Glyn, will have a look at that next time I have time

marksmeets302 wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:59 pm
If you take a single race result as one data point instead of a full day you will get different means and standard deviations, but 1000 days will now be much more data points, perhaps 30000 or so. You will see that you need much less days to rule out a loss with 95% probability.
I did think about this marksmeets302 but I just had the daily results on hand so used them (Maybe being lazy haha) I can see where you are coming from though and can see my mistake. As a rough estimate I did what you said but for 20 races a day and it produced better results. Cheers for the help!!! :D

Return to “General discussion”