Desk Location (Trading Teams)

A place to discuss anything.
RentonT

I take it the majority of people trade from home as a one man band all alone etc.

Peter touched on "skyping other traders" in a tweet last week. And also in one of his Cheltenham videos he was talking to someone during live trading. I assume that's what the headset is used for.

As a concept, a group of people together looking at the markets is interesting and great to able to share views, "two minds is better than one" etc.

But I wondered the reality of it. How many people do it? I know If I had a friend that traded like me then I would definitely be keen on spending a session in the same room.

On a personal note I am looking to move somewhere new, somewhere a bit busier as I am currently in the countryside. I even looked at renting a desk in a shared workplace to see what it was like as we all know trading can be lonely. But obviously they wouldn't be traders which is annoying. But short term I might try visiting a few places to try and find a new place to live and renting a desk (at a decent price) doesn't seem a bad idea especially when thinking about stable broadband connection etc. On that note has anyone used 4g dongles and would they recommended them?

Would be interested in anyone who has opinions on this subject and ever been in a similar situation?
Euler

You need to find somebody at a similar level so you can chat on an equal basis.

I chat to others during big meetings not to collaborate, but just to compare notes. 'Did you see that', 'this is moving', 'that's odd' type of thing.

If you get two people at differing levels then one will feel the drain from the other, so I think if you did try this. That would be the most important thing.
RentonT

Yea I thought so, and would you say it is beneficial yea?

I can see how it would be on the whole, but also how you may get the odd instances where it can be counter productive.

I know Bet Angel are in the process of moving offices? I don't know how busy it gets there but are there opportunities to use the facilities at all? (Not to bother you though haha)
trader44

hi renton i do in running trading and i am currently learning pre race ..is pre race your living or is it something you are currently practising and planning to try and make a living in the future
ruthlessimon

Glad it wasn't just me who heard the "mmmmmmmm" @ 07:38 :geek:

I'm a big fan of teams; & if you actually like the guys you work with (& they like you) there's a good chance you'll be connected with them for yrs; maybe even decades because I can't really see why anyone would stop trading tbh. It's just a case of moving onto the next challenge.
LeTiss

Trading has turned me into a recluse, I overlooked how socially isolated it would make me.

However, I've always been a loner at heart, so it was a natural process for me.

Anyway, I'm not sure I'd want to talk to anybody when I'm trading, however I talk to myself with worrying regularity - I sometimes feel that Ive turned into Jack Nicholson on his way to the hotel bar in 'The Shining'
oscar123

I read somewhere that a lot of the top traders keep a helium filled balloon with a face drawn on it in their office.

This can help with the loneliness and isolation that trading can bring, and helps to keep them sane.
iambic_pentameter

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:44 am
Trading has turned me into a recluse, I overlooked how socially isolated it would make me.

However, I've always been a loner at heart, so it was a natural process for me.
Interesting to read that, LeTiss.

Whilst I've been working from home since 2005, in 2008 I began to suffer anxiety issues which ultimately led to agoraphobia, which I suffer from today.

I should stress that I'm not playing my "woe is me" violin, as I make efforts to go out and keep in touch with a good bunch of traders on Skype but I think it's helpful for people coming into this game that they realise that it's very easy to isolate yourself from society and vital that you make sure you go out, see non-trading friends etc.
ShaunWhite

Bit puzzled why trading makes people feel especially isolated. Plenty of people have a lonely 9-5 and it's also a million times better than being stuck in a small office with people you don't like. I worked for JPMorgan in Swindon once with a bunch of dickheads and it was the loneliest job I've ever had.

If you get your work/life/money balance right there's more than enough hours in the day to live a fulfilling sociable life. It's often obsession that creates loneliness, not 35hrs a week on your tod.

It's probably a lot harder though for people who don't have a best mate (ie your missus) at home to share the daily stories with. Nothing worse than coming home to an empty house whatever job you have. Could just be that it's not your work that's lonely, it's the rest of your life?

How many hrs a week are people here spending at their desks? When I started it was about 60 but now I do less than 30 and it's a welcome oasis of calm 'me time' rather than a chore.
ruthlessimon

LeTiss wrote:
Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:44 am
WE can soon put that right. How about FYEO just off Above Bar? on 2nd thoughts, nah, 10pm to 4am I'm working on my edge! :lol:
workpeter

Google "wisdom of the crowd" ;)
StellaBot

Alan Potts against the crowd ?
workpeter

Ok. but both ideas are not mutually exclusive, because 'wisdom of the crowd' requires that each decision is completely independent and not influenced by others. So applying it directly to market trending isn't going to work, but getting 20 experienced guys in a room all making a back/lay decision on a piece of paper, then tallying it up at the end would yield better decision (in theory).
Last edited by workpeter on Sun Sep 03, 2017 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
workpeter

Read some snippets of that book. I like the principle on which it is based. It resonates with Warren Buffets "“Be Fearful When Others Are Greedy and Greedy When Others Are Fearful”"
trader44

however I talk to myself with worrying regularity - I sometimes feel that Ive turned into Jack Nicholson on his way to the hotel bar in 'The Shining'

haha i can relate to this statement. i cant believe how much i actually talk to myself either telling myself off out loud like( you f*King stupid c**T )or saying out loud ( hold it hold it) having laid one ir and waiting to get out higher . its very common among traders to to waffle on to themselves in my experience /also this is the maddest job i have ever done :D

Return to “General discussion”