Turning Point

A place to discuss anything.
ubetido

Hi All

What was your turning point, that you went from being not profitable to profitable consistently. Did you have to change the way you were trading.

Regards
Ubetido
Bluesky

If you read through the forum you will find many posts where the main reason someone went from losing to winning was changing the sport that they traded. Lots of people like to trade pre off horse racing when they first start which is one of the hardest things to trade (dogs is probably even harder). Switching to say football or tennis can sometimes prove to be a good idea (these are not easy to trade either just a bit easier than the horses).

Whatever sport you trade, its very unlikely you will see much success in less than a year if you are discretionary trading, might be different if you have a system that has been rigorously back tested.
JPK65

I don’t think I am very popular on this forum, since most of my comments are very negative. I can only comment on my personal experience. I am a loser overall but I feel that I am turning things around, slowly (very slowly). I know that I am a gambler at heart. I have always liked the horses and I am trading pre-off. I think the turning point comes for someone like me when you can stop gambling altogether. I have been going well for the last couple of months (on minimum sakes) but I gave today’s profit back on a silly gamble. Only a few gambles are slipping through these days. I was laying a horse which looked like a donkey on the formbook. These days I normally exit pretty quickly if my trade goes in-play, but I held on to this one. I should have known better, since the race was a class 6 handicap i.e. a bit of a donkey derby and some donkey was going to win it. I would agree that, if you are not a racing man, other sports where the prices change more slowly (or where the prices jump after an event) may be easier to learn to trade on, especially if you have some knowledge of the sport and can feel the event (a goal or maybe a break in serve) coming.
weemac

There's not just one turning point - there are several, each one usually more significant than the one before. It's not like doing a U-turn on a motorway; it's more like leaving the motorway to traverse previously undiscovered by-ways.

Return to “General discussion”