Moving between sports/markets

A place to discuss anything.
stueytrader

Just wondering what peoples' thoughts/experiences are about moving from one sport to another in trading? Have you done it, and how was it?

E.g. you decide to adopt a separate sport such as football/tennis after being primarily horse-racing previously. Often I'd suspect to open more potential income lines rather than restrict to one area.

I'm currently considering moving some activity to Tennis (been almost exclusively horses pre-race so far in trading). Couple of reasons for tennis, I used to play the game to a 'fairly serious' level when younger, punted it in my past (gambling) life, so would love to move a little across to trading the game now. But, it would be a new area entirely in my trading....

Stu.
Abraquay

If you're going to gonna go down the tennis route then you may want to watch this video but i would trade something in a sport at which you
have at least some interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOaTl5IFi3U
stueytrader

Abraquay wrote:
Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:45 am
If you're going to gonna go down the tennis route then you may want to watch this video but i would trade something in a sport at which you
have at least some interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOaTl5IFi3U
Thanks Abraquay, something to consider yes. I do have quite a natural interest in Tennis as a sport, which was a reason for considering moving some of my activity into (and fill in some times when the racing's not so good). I played tennis to club level when I was younger, so always wanted to follow it up in the trading sense, but never really got round to setting up for trading it. I'm sure there are plenty key aspects to consider when looking to trade it, which would take me some time to pick up.
Dallas

Tennis was the first sport i branched out to and started trading outside of horse racing, initially my focus was on the automation side but in recent years i've been doing a lot more manual trading though still do run automation in the background, especially on the hectic early rounds of the bigger tourneys.

I like the fact that all the moves are based on an in-play occurrence with their start and ends points always clearly defined just like football markets but its also much more volatile and faster moving like the horse racing markets.

On the whole Im surprised more people haven't got round to giving it a go
stueytrader

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:18 am
Tennis was the first sport i branched out to and started trading outside of horse racing, initially my focus was on the automation side but in recent years i've been doing a lot more manual trading though still do run automation in the background, especially on the hectic early rounds of the bigger tourneys.

I like the fact that all the moves are based on an in-play occurrence with their start and ends points always clearly defined just like football markets but its also much more volatile and faster moving like the horse racing markets.

On the whole Im surprised more people haven't got round to giving it a go
Yep, some features that appeal to me too there. Did you find the trading very different, from your previous trading experience, when moving across to tennis? Or was there a lot of crossover?
Dallas

The big difference is your trades don't require you to 'read the market' in the way you would when trading pre-race, instead a move is only going to occur based on what happens on court, add to that the use of the 'Tennis Trader' tool you can easily pick the moments that will offer the lowest risks to highest rewards for when you enter and exit

There is also possibly more stats out there for tennis than any other sport which gives you a big head start especially when it comes to setting up automation
stueytrader

Makes a lot of sense, thanks Dallas.
I suppose there could still be a little of the 'market reading' if it was a pre-match trade, but mostly inplay where the real action/movement takes place like you say.
Dallas

stueytrader wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:09 am
Makes a lot of sense, thanks Dallas.
I suppose there could still be a little of the 'market reading' if it was a pre-match trade, but mostly inplay where the real action/movement takes place like you say.
I've never traded pre-match only in-play,

Todays match between Pera & Cornet was a excellent example of the RvsR you get from Trading Tennis I was just talking about
http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic ... &start=120
Bluesky

Dallas wrote:
Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:53 am
The big difference is your trades don't require you to 'read the market' in the way you would when trading pre-race,
I think this is massive. I have only recently started trading tennis and still not doing a lot, but have found it much easier than pre off horse race trading.
stueytrader

I'm hoping you're right Bluesky - been looking to move some activity that way, and wouldn't mind a little difference in approaches from time to time.
Lucacrebbe

Dallas wrote:
'Tennis Trader' tool you can easily pick the moments that will offer the lowest risks to highest rewards for when you enter and exit
Sorry I usually prefer to make my own statistics based on observation of the matches, I can't immagine to rely my money on a software
Lucacrebbe

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:05 pm
Dallas wrote:
'Tennis Trader' tool you can easily pick the moments that will offer the lowest risks to highest rewards for when you enter and exit
Sorry is not better to make your own statistics based on observation of the matches rather than to rely money on a software?
Lucacrebbe

Dallas wrote:
Does it help you?
I want to try it, it's intersting
Dallas

Lucacrebbe wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:07 pm
Dallas wrote:
Does it help you?
I want to try it, it's intersting
http://www.betangel.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13251
Bluesky

stueytrader wrote:
Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:16 am
I'm hoping you're right Bluesky - been looking to move some activity that way, and wouldn't mind a little difference in approaches from time to time.
I think the fact that you played tennis to a reasonable level could well provide you with an edge. It may well help you to spot changes in momentum before lots of other traders, enabling you to get better prices and so profit long term.

Return to “General discussion”