Betfair set float price

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
andyfuller

FY12 H1 Results out on Wednesday - will be interesting to see the yield of the new PC and a full year of horse racing cross matching.
Euler

Given the very aggressive nature of the way they have applied new charges you would expect a stellar set of figures. If that doesn't happen you have to ask yourself what is really going on in the business.

You sort of think that the figures should be good as that have put their hands in the accounts of many to boost the bottom line. But that's bound to have had a depressing effect on the general numbers and also it's likely that the charges have yield much less, due to the 'laffer' effect.

Should be interesting anyhow.
andyfuller

I would think the money they have 'earned' from Cross Matching on horse racing specifically will be massive, though isn't that run by a separate Betfair Company? So will those figures be published?

It will also be very interesting to hear what the plans are for Australia, the decision is due anytime now though it could take a few months yet. I was just reading Racing New South Wales have on ice roughly £110 million that they have collected to date in race fees, not all from Betfair but I bet they have paid a hell of a lot.

Surely if they lose then it would be game over for Betfair Australia?

http://www.racingandsports.com.au/racin ... ll_Unknown
Euler

I guess the xm will depend on how efficiently they have done it. There is a lot of slack that falls into Betfair's pockets on small fields but not on big fields. That said the racing markets are massive compared to others so any number on something huge will be big.

Its perfectly within their power to not skim anything off the XM so it's a bif naff that they continue to do so. I note they position it as 'improving' the markets but it's had the opposite affect when we measured it. It's a neat way of articifically keeping the overround smaller and therefore using that to qoute competitive prices in the market, before all the billions or other fees and charges of course!

A lot of 'Australian' market turnover doesn't actually go through the austrailian exchange I found out. I don't know how any ruling would affect that but I suspect Betfair route the traffic across the two exchange independantly for strategic reasons. I know wallets are seperate but when I saw the Aussie guys I was astonished to find out all the work I did in Aussie markets never ended up in their pot and they were not rewarded on it.
andyfuller

Euler wrote: A lot of 'Australian' market turnover doesn't actually go through the austrailian exchange I found out.
Can you expand on that Peter? I didn't know about that.
CaerMyrddin

I'm a bit worried with this Australian situation, right now australian markets are accounting for around 50% of my profits. How are traders down under seeing this court problem? Would you be put out of bussiness?
Euler

andyfuller wrote:Can you expand on that Peter? I didn't know about that.
I could have mis-interpreted what they said, but they quite clearly told me thanks for all the turnover you are doing but we don't get to see any benefit from it.

I don't know whether that means, they never see it on that the Austrailian exchange or whether it just means it's not included in their numbers or whatever. Difficult to tell.
Euler

andyfuller

Cheers for that Peter.

That is a bit odd about the Australian exchange. It sounds like the American exchange will have to be kept totally separate to the main exchange with no cross over between them so it won't be any use to people outside of the state.

Is anyone able to register for the webcast? I will make sure I have the kettle on and the custard creams ready ;)
Euler

Based on the fact the press release has already been written today and the share price rose, I'd predict a favourable response by the city when the announcement officially comes out tomorrow. ;)
Iron

Possibly, although share price rises today may have been due to rumours of QE3, which have been dashed by Ben Bernanke this evening.

Jeff
Euler wrote:Based on the fact the press release has already been written today and the share price rose, I'd predict a favourable response by the city when the announcement officially comes out tomorrow. ;)
andyfuller

Yes Peter, I kept an eye on the share price all day today. One of the best days it has had for good while from memory, backed to around a 5 month high roughly.

Doesn't it fill you with a warm feeling knowing they are robbing us blind again tomorrow at midday.

Jeff it was rising from the opening of the markets, before the QE rumours, I would guess it was much more to do with tomorrow than QE, BWIN gained only 1.37% today to BF's 3.57%
Euler

Financial highlights

· Core Betfair revenue of £170.3m, with 12% year-on year growth in Q2 2

· Core Betfair Adjusted EBITDA up 26% to £44.6m 1, 2

· Group underlying earnings per share up 43% to 19.5 pence 3

· Interim dividend proposed of 3.2p pence per share

· £23.7m returned in share buyback to date

Operational highlights

· Strong Exchange performance: Q2 non-risk revenue up 20% year-on-year

· New mobile products drive growth: 16.2m bets (up 103%) and £9.1m of revenue (up 88%) in H1

· Encouraging current trading: Core Betfair revenue up 13% in Q3 to date

· New site to be launched shortly: much improved speed, reliability and search functionality

Management update

· Breon Corcoran announced as new CEO

· Stephen Morana to be Interim CEO

· Gerald Corbett appointed as Deputy Chairman and will become Chairman in Q1 2012
Euler

Euler

I'm tweeting updates from the call:-

http://www.twitter.com/betangel/

Return to “Trading Financial markets”