Spread Betting

Long, short, Bitcoin, forex - Plenty of alternate market disuccsion.
superfrank

I saw an ad for this while watching Doomberg today... I don't think it's a new offer, but you can't complain at zero spreads! (Platinum Account requires min initial deposit of £5k).

http://www.worldspreads.com/en/Spread-B ... reads.aspx
Groovyelms

That link looks interesting, I am off to seminar next week on the basics of forex, and i'll scribble something up after it. looking at various threads and u tube missives it seems you would need a fairly hefty account to make good money at it and be able ride out the inevitable lossing trades. Regarding the above link I am not clear how they make their money??? any suggestions or is it just me being thick :(
luck to all,
Groovy
superfrank

Groovyelms wrote:Regarding the above link I am not clear how they make their money?
It's only on the most popular markets and bear in mind that the average person who 'trades' using spread betting is not Peter Webb and they can't lose.

A great promotional idea for getting new business and it sounds like a fab offer assuming there isn't a catch.
Groovyelms

Hi All,
I recently attended a free seminar run by IG Index on the basics of forex trading, presented by their chief market strategist "David Jones". It was very good, well presented with a live link projector set up to IG's trading platform. Interestingly I was the only non account holder there but found it easy and informative to follow. I also spoke to several attendees including one guy who had gone full time about 6 months previously and claimed it was going really well. David Jones himself is funny and immediately endeared himself with the following question to the audience:- anyone heard of the Elliot Wave or Stochastics? a forest of knowing hands shot up... all nonsence says David..this made me giggle as he is a "qualified Technical analyst", so I was expecting a bit of complicated mumbo jumbo...nope non of that, he then went on to present some simple analysis/strategy based on support and resistance...I have just finished his book "spread betting the forex markets" and now know a good bit more than I did.
Overall it a was good evening with decent snacks and a very reasonable glass of wine to boot.
It would be interesting to hear comments from other forum members if they attend something similar. IG do give the impression of being very professional and made it clear that could accomodate the big hitters along with more modest accounts.
luck to all,
Groovy
Iron

Groovyelms wrote:David Jones himself is funny and immediately endeared himself with the following question to the audience:- anyone heard of the Elliot Wave or Stochastics? a forest of knowing hands shot up... all nonsence says David..
Completely agree with him!

I'd be wary of using support and resistance levels to trade though - IMHO, they are only knowable with hindsight, and even then there is a lot of scope for interpretation.

Jeff
superfrank

I wrote to WorldSpreads this morning and suggested that they develop a ladder style interface for their zero spread markets. It has been forwarded for consideration.

It would be fab if they did it... no transaction costs and decent software (a winning combination!).
andyfuller

Groovy - as you were a non account holder when you went on your seminar were there any issues? Did you have to sign up for an account in the end?

With regards to world spreads I am guessing they make their money on the zero spreads as Superfrank said by people just losing money and WorldSpreads not hedging the position? I would have thought though that if you are a Premium customer putting in £5K you would surely have a bit of a clue about what you are doing?
andyfuller

superfrank wrote:I wrote to WorldSpreads this morning and suggested that they develop a ladder style interface for their zero spread markets. It has been forwarded for consideration.

It would be fab if they did it... no transaction costs and decent software (a winning combination!).
Just been doing some back ground reading and it seems scalping is not looked upon favourably with the zero spreads, it seems to be looked upon as High Frequency Trading.
Iron

Define scalping. :) Are you talking about trades where you aim for, say, 5 pips? If so, I'm not sure you want to be spread betting, as there's a good chance that the spread will kill you! :lol:

I've used Capital Spreads, and they make it so that the market must have travelled x pips in your favour before you can put in an order that means that, in the worst case scenario, you break even. If other companies operate likewise, it may make quick scratching difficult.

Jeff
andyfuller wrote: Just been doing some back ground reading and it seems scalping is not looked upon favourably with the zero spreads, it seems to be looked upon as High Frequency Trading.
andyfuller

Ferru123 wrote:Define scalping. :) Are you talking about trades where you aim for, say, 5 pips? If so, I'm not sure you want to be spread betting, as there's a good chance that the spread will kill you! :lol:
The spread is Zero tho Jeff.
andyfuller wrote:Just been doing some back ground reading and it seems scalping is not looked upon favourably with the zero spreads, it seems to be looked upon as High Frequency Trading.
Iron

Sorry, I'd assumed that zero spreads was the name of the company! D'oh! :lol:

So how can you spread bet without a spread? :?:

Jeff
andyfuller

Surely just the same as you would with say a 5pt spread? You buy or sell then close out and either take your profit, loss or scratch.

Never done any spread betting so can't say I am overly qualified to comment. But I would guess say X is priced at 205 but is 200 to sell and 210 to Buy with Capital Spreads, with World Spreads and their Zero Spread it would be 210 to Buy and 210 to Sell.
Iron

I thought that the spread betting company made their money from their ability to buy and sell closer to the spread in the market itself, and that was why you didn't pay any commision or fixed fee.

Let's use a Betfair analogy. You think that the market is about to start steaming, and back at the available price of 2.68 (and Betfair themselves lay your back). And let's say that Betfair have a secret deal with a high roller where they can sell bets and lays to him between the increments available to everyone else. The high roller thinks that the price is about to drift, and wants to lay ASAP. He's able to lay at 2.69, rather than the 2.7 that's available to everyone else. So Betfair would profit by laying your back at 2.68 and backing his lay at 2.69.

The above is purely hypothetical, but it wouldn't surprise me if it goes on! :lol:

Jeff
superfrank

That's exactly it Andy.

The problem I have with it is that you have to trade from a crappy order entry screen rather than a ladder.

See the screens here http://www.worldspreads.com/en/ppc/deal ... de/en.aspx.

When I've used WorldSpreads I've done so using my futures trading software for all the charts etc. then just have a small browser window with WorldSpreads in it to place the trades.
Last edited by superfrank on Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andyfuller

They say they make the money off customers who use the Zero Spread when they trade other markets that aren't zero spread.

My guess would be that if you solely traded using the Zero Spread markets they would have a word in your ear?

Return to “Trading Financial markets”