Bounce Intl: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Scie

Trading is often about how to take the appropriate risk without exposing yourself to very human flaws.
andyfuller

Following Peter's post on his blog the other day about this book I was wondering if you could let us know Peter which book was the one you read as there seems a few different versions:

This is the one with the same image as the one you posted:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Intl-Fed ... 168&sr=1-4

But there are other versions it seem such as this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bounce-Myth-Tal ... 386&sr=1-4

Could you let me know as I would like to order it and have a read.

TIA.
Euler

I've got a kindle so it was the download version.
andyfuller

Ah okay, I will go with the first one which seems to have the same title as the one you posted on your blog.

Not tried a kindle but I have to say I like the 'feel' of a book in my hands.
PeterLe

Hi Andy
I had a long car trip on Monday so downloaded the audio unabridged version to listen to...
Although a little repetitive at the beginning, there are some interesting points that also relate to trading, such as pattern recognition (not per se, but within chosen areas such as chess for instance)
it also points put that there is no such thing as innate talent..which I strongly agree with too
anyway, so far so good! Worth a read

Regards
Peter
hgodden

I'll have to give that a read, sounds a bit like Outliers. Apparantly to become a 'master' at anything you need to practice for roughly 10,000 hours. That is a hell of a lot of practice! I think this may be one of the reasons our young footballers are so technically inferior to other nations that allow their youngsters to train for far longer periods (and crucially with more ball work.) I think I remember hearing that there is even a limit to how much time kids in this country can be couched per week! I guess its more important to make sure they have plenty of time to hang around on street corners smoking and playing xbox
PeterLe

hgodden wrote:I'll have to give that a read, sounds a bit like Outliers. Apparantly to become a 'master' at anything you need to practice for roughly 10,000 hours. That is a hell of a lot of practice! I think this may be one of the reasons our young footballers are so technically inferior to other nations that allow their youngsters to train for far longer periods (and crucially with more ball work.) I think I remember hearing that there is even a limit to how much time kids in this country can be couched per week! I guess its more important to make sure they have plenty of time to hang around on street corners smoking and playing xbox
Hi H
I have read other books by Gladwell but I haven't read Outliers...he actually quotes the 10,000 hours in the Bounce book..
bet I'm not far off 10000 hours expended on my bloody spreadsheets!!
Regards
Peter
PS Do you recommend Outliers too>??
hgodden

I have a pretty foggy memory of it to be honest Peter. I think I recall that you have to get through quite a bit of waffle to get to the good info, but others might feel differently to me :)
PeterLe

Morning,

I finished this book yesterday...
Although it follows a theme right from the off (and then seeks to convince the reader) there are a few nuggets in there (and, although not referenced in any way by the author; when you read it in with "Trading" in mind, you can draw many parallels with what happens in sports with trading).
One such parallel was how two pilots completely missed an early warning failure because they were concentrating on something else with catastrophic consequences.
I'm convinced that this happens every day on here. Why some people "sees" things that others dont and can profit from them..
By way of example (if you havent seen it before) : Watch the Youtube clip and concentrate hard on how many passes the white team make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxUAykZ5e3g

When you consider the amount of data that is thrown at you during an average race, it just goes to show how easy is t concentrate on the wrong info..

Regards
Peter

PS (good book overall, although I thought that the last few chapters concerning drug use in sports went off track slightly from the main theme of the book..even though it was interesting in itself)..
pdupre1961

PeterLe wrote:... such as pattern recognition (not per se, but within chosen areas such as chess for instance)
it also points put that there is no such thing as innate talent..which I strongly agree with too
anyway, so far so good! Worth a read
As a chess player I can relate to this and the 10,000 hours you quoted later in the thread.

Though I am 50 next week my Chess rating is still going up - I tend to play 1 minute blitz every day.

As they say practice makes perfect - "they" reckon chess players need 10,000 hours work to become a Grand Master - youngest yet was 12 years old. Not sure when he started though.
Euler

10,000 hours in action!

http://thedanplan.com/
JollyGreen

Euler wrote:10,000 hours in action!

http://thedanplan.com/
Jeez!! With that awful left hand grip I am amazed he's down to 6.5! He won't get much lower until he changes that grip and improves his hand position at address!

Good luck to him but I cannot see it myself.
JollyGreen

In this country we spend too much time telling people they're a failure. This happens during school, sport, work etc etc. If we are to improve overall as a nation and ultimately as individuals we need to change our belief system.

I have worked in coaching both with golf and swimming and from what I have seen the change isn't even on the horizon let alone in view.

From a swimming point of view, coaches in this country are obsessed with instant results. This means they want fast times from a junior which generally come from the tallest, strongest and early maturing youths. Because the focus of attention then falls on these fast youngsters it means many more potentially fast late maturing youths will fall by the wayside. I have watched it over the last 10 years and nothing is changing. I should point out this is not ALL coaches but it is a very high majority of them.

They simply push the swimmers aerobically and try to build their strength. The focus on this means technique is often ignored and in swimming that means you will eventually fail to improve. As a child matures they tend to reach to peak of their physical ability and their performances plateau. They then lose interest because they are no longer top dog and stop swimming competitively.

Because of this short sighted attitude we lose a lot of potential talent because they never get a chance. You can apply this to just about any sport, someone pointed out Football and they're are so correct.

One saying that irks me is "Practice makes perfect". This is simply WRONG! The saying should be "Perfect practice makes perfect!", there is no point practising your faults! You can apply this to anything you like be it, football, trading, golf, swimming etc.

Cycling in the UK seems to be one of the few sports where coaches are looking to the future. This has been running for many years now and we have all seen how successful we have been as a nation. Let's not talk about the old drugs day a la Lance Armstrong.

So because we expect instant success we are looking for a genius, a child prodigy like Beethoven, Mozart etc. The rest are doomed to fail and are told as much with comments like "you're too short" "you're too slow" etc. We are always looking at stars like Michael Phelps, Ian Thorpe in swimming or Lionel Messi in football and expecting our youngsters to live up to their achievements...yeah right, it isn't happening any time soon!

Until we change this thought process in this country and plan for the future we are simply going to bounce along with a modicum of success.

If you also do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got...an annoying saying but sadly all too true!

Rant over!! :D :D
freddy

I agree, Football coaching is another example, in this country the emphasis is on winning from a very young age, rather than as it should be technique.

it's just get the ball and hoof it towards the goal
and they wonder why we are light years behind :lol:
steven1976

Great post jolly and I agree 100% and have felt that way since being a youngster that the UK we are not given the encouragement to follow sporting dreams. If Messi was British he probably would have struggled to get trials at Lincoln due to his size. I also like your comment about perfect practice makes perfect. I think like yourself I was also a decent golfer playing off scratch when I was younger before a few knee ops. I use to see people practicing after a bad round but usually they would be practicing bad things as they were not swinging well but I always preferred to.praftice after a.great round to improve muscle memory. I guess it could also be advisable for trading as well.
PeterLe

:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “Trading Psychology”