The fat fingers thread

The sport of kings.
stevedaggett

Anyone try and back Midnight Rider? I put my order in at 8.6 came back later and saw the price was at around 4.2, so I left it, came back later and got some matched at 8.6!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
marksmeets302

If anybody wonders what went on at the 7f Handicap race at Leicester today, here's why:
Screenshot_from_2015-05-26_184945.png
That's six pages of bets on Als Memory.

I had "fixed" something in my program that I thought was innocent. ...Until I received a message on my mobile that something was wrong. Rushed over to the computer, and tried to get out. I feel very lucky that it didn't cost more.

Just discovered the bug: just one character, an exclamation mark (!) was missing :lol:

Does anybody have a graph of that race?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterLe

M
Sorry to hear about the loss; I have the same tee shirt! (although I put that much through, I forced the price down! I was sitting in dublin airport at the time and will never forget it!)

Are you using Excel? if so, one thing I put in all my spreadsheets was a simple catch all whereby it looked up the total P&L for the day based on a calculation that checked the amount in cell c6. Depending upon which strategy i was using I could set a value so that my losses could never exceed a preset amount. Just provides peace of mind

Regards
Peter
marksmeets302

No, not using excel but I do have something similar, hence the warning on my cell phone.

glad I was near the computer. Being in an airport when the proverbial shit hits the fan sounds like a nightmare!
PeterLe

Fat Fingers there...commentator suggested it may do well..
dip occurred as it went in play..
LeTiss

That's quite impressive

We don't see fat fingers with the regularity we used to. Or perhaps we do, it's just my imagination!
PeterLe

Think they are still there Lt..
I was tradig some of the others...but after the comments I backed it at about 23's I think (£10)..and left an SP in a few ticks below..
It didnt show it in the overview screen but I think it went as low as 1.37??
andyfuller

The best days for a fat finger were before BF introduced the 'Keep' bets where your bet remains in the market at the off as when the market was cleared out of bets it was not uncommon to see people taking 1.01.

I made that error once by hitting the green up button just as the market turned inplay, there was nothing to green up against bar very low bets fired in by automation as soon as the market reopened. Probably paid for Peter's family takeaway that day :)
gazuty

I fat fingered yesterday :(

Wrong bot. Wrong market. Thankfully I realised straight away and I corrected it after one cycle. Made someone else very happy, so always look on the bright side of life.

Dented my psychology for a while. Thankfully (once I applied the right ones) bots are immune to emotion. I know if I was trading manually I would have chased a recovery because I was angry with myself for making a mistake.
Ethanol

Someone just lost their house...

Greyhounds - 15:07 at Hove. Maireads Secure was briefly trading at 790/1, and £200 was matched. I was just glancing at my bot when I saw it in disbelief, but by the time I realised what was happening, it was too late to get in on the action. After the money was taken, the price then normalised in the teens.

It won. :shock:

I think someone will be having words with their bot.
Maireads Secure.PNG
PeterLe

Quch - :o You cant help congratulating the winner...but feel very sorry for the loser
Regards
Peter

Edit : A real lesson for anyone playing around with automation: Test Test and Test again in Practice mode
megarain

I never like reading of these type of errors.

It doesnt sit easy with me, than someone has made a huge mistake - and is allowed to do so, by either the software or the site.

I would much prefer, the layer, to be penalised in some way .. if the average lay price had been 14, maybe a max of 5 times that price, up to a max of 50/1 .. no one is going to lay, 500x the 'true' price, and it just discourages new traders, and the guy who made the mistake.

I appreciate its a gambling exchange, and people shouldnt be molly-coddled, but, there have to be limits .. or at least should be.

Often, there are trap bets, on ill-liquid markets, and people populate the lay side, with 102 for 8 quid, when its 1.01 to back.

I really think, after 15yrs, the exchange should have matured enough, to have a 'charter' for what is accepted practice, and what can be 'palped' or at least penalised.

I am sure, nothing will change. But, if Apple, was mis-quoted at $0.30c, and someone ordered a few billion shares, the order would have been un-wound.
hilly2908

I do feel for people when i see this happen especially these large amounts like this was but just to play devils advocate and put a flip side of the coin across this was obvioustly most likely a mis programmed bot ultimatly a human error as the cause.

People make large sums of money from bots without never being at there computer alot of it from manual traders who are slogging it out in front of the screen for hours on end while they off enjoying life doing something else so when one goes wrong and misfires why should nt the manual trader take advantage and get back what they ve lost to them in the past and no doubt will again in the future.

I have total sympathy for anyone who loses in a big way, just not necessarily the way in which they did. :|
PeterLe

I dont disagree; But Im not so sure how easy it would be to implement?
Assuming it was one persons liability, Surely they must have had the funds in their account? (+£150K)
(and they can set the max liability there too)
Regards
Peter
Ethanol

I, too, pity the person who lost out. I've always considered that it is morally wrong to take such a bet. I know that had I taken it, I'd have felt really bad afterwards given the result. Conversely, if I don't take it, someone else will. Where's the boundary between opportunity and abuse? Nice guys finish last, right? It's tricky when such decisions need to be made.

While policing bets sounds like a great idea in practice, I think if you're going to use the API you need to realise that you're getting into a fast car without seatbelts or airbags. It'd be such a burden to police the whole exchange, and I think we all know that those decisions would also go the wrong way, as well as the policies being abused or being used as some kind of "insurance".

Return to “Trading Horse racing”