Racing Post

The sport of kings.
LeTiss

Who received an email from Racing Post editor Bruce Millington this morning?

He states their database of customer accounts has been hacked, and I need to change my passwords if they are the same as my Racing Post account, as mine is one of them

Just me, or anyone else?
Euler

I've got nothing, but loads of reports everywhere that the site was hacked, but nothing official on Twitter feed or their website, could be a phishing email? But best to be cautious.
Last edited by Euler on Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euler

Copied this from elsewhere.
Email read wrote:Despite our best efforts, the security on racingpost.com has been breached over the last 36 hours, in a sophisticated, sustained and aggressive attack. One of our databases was accessed and customer details were stolen.

Security is an area we take extremely seriously and our website has not been compromised previously. As soon as we were aware of the situation we did everything in our power to halt the breach. We have now established that a number of customer accounts were accessed. Although all the passwords are encrypted, we believe that there is still a chance that some passwords can be deciphered. As yours is one of the accounts involved, there is a risk of identity theft. Please be aware that we do not store your credit card details on our website and these have not been the subject of any theft.

As part of our efforts to resolve the issue, we have turned off the ability to register / log-on to racingpost.com. You will still be able to access the site safely. Members' club content will also be available.

However, we are contacting you now to request that you take all precautions and reset your passwords on any other site which uses the same password as the one you use on racingpost.com as soon as you can. If, for example, you use the same password for your bookmaker accounts, email accounts or for social media we advise you to reset them. Mine is one of the accounts involved and I will be changing my passwords. We understand how inconvenient this is - and can only apologise for any difficulty this causes - but feel it is necessary under the circumstances.

Once we are totally satisfied that using your account details on racingpost.com is completely secure, you will need to reset your password on our site. We will send you an email with instructions on how to do this. For security reasons, there will be no links on the email. You will need to visit the racingpost.com website to make the changes. For now, please proceed with changing your passwords (if the same as your racingpost.com password) on any other site.

If you have any questions, please contact Racing Post customer services on 01635 246505.

Please be assured that we are currently reviewing all of our security measures and will put in place even stronger protection to stop this happening again. Extensive changes have already been made overnight with the assistance of industry-leading cyber-security experts.

We are extremely sorry that this unfortunate incident has occurred and thank you for your patience and understanding.

We will be in touch in due course once we have re-established the registration / log-in part of the site.

Yours faithfully

Bruce Milllington
JollyGreen

Me too! My e-mail arrived around 22:00 last night.

It babbled on and on with them expressing how sorry they were etc etc. There was no offer of "As a gesture of goodwill and to restore confidence we will offer you a month's free access!"
Euler

Link appearing on the RP web site now but it looks like it's returning a 404 message when you try to view it.
Euler

Just spoken to somebody and it is genuine, but I may have been unaffected by the look of it.
convoysur-2

i got that email last night also..
walshy

Got the email also
LeTiss

Peter, I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but it might be worth drawing your own database's attention to this. People are creatures of habit, and I suspect there's a number of BA users that have the same username and password for many accounts, including Betfair
Zapata

I got the email too. There is no login link now and access link to my RP account does not work.
Euler

LeTiss 4pm wrote:Peter, I hope you don't think I'm being rude, but it might be worth drawing your own database's attention to this. People are creatures of habit, and I suspect there's a number of BA users that have the same username and password for many accounts, including Betfair
Did that as soon as I was aware this morning. I've posted up comments and advice in a number of places.
Wyndon

I've tried several times since last night to change my Betdaq password - without success. Finally I contacted the helpline who advised me to try later (when it would probably be sorted out) or they could issue me with a temporary password. I chose to wait and make sure that I didn't keep too much money in the account.
andyfuller

What has rather annoyed me is that my account was supposedly closed and de-registered from their systems from a request I made previously.

It seems that this is not the case and despite my request for all my details to have previously been removed and confirmation of this from them, they had not in fact removed my details and still held all the details on their systems which have now been stolen.

I am pretty sure they are in breech of some rules by doing so. :(
LeTiss

It's a bit annoying because I have so many accounts. Admittedly, most have shut me down, or I haven't used them for ages, so my cards will have expired.
But, it's a huge inconvenience that's for sure

Return to “Trading Horse racing”