"Russian Box" To View/Hack SIS ?

The sport of kings.
dogform

Hi,

Has anyone else heard the rumours about a "Russian Box" in circulation which is supposed to allow viewing of the bookmakers PowerVu encrypted SIS pictures?

The bookmakers SIS PowerVu system which is/was supposed to be unhackable due to the unique addressing of every Scientific Atlanta receiver is rumoured to have been hacked by a Russian with boxes now in circulation at a fraction of the subscription to SIS.

Rgds
dog
convoysur

mm
Last edited by convoysur on Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
mugsgame

So everyone has the "russian" boxes and sis goes out of business as they get no revenue. Clever.

Just stick to buying dodgy dvds down the pub
JollyGreen

mugsgame wrote:So everyone has the "russian" boxes and sis goes out of business as they get no revenue. Clever.

Just stick to buying dodgy dvds down the pub
I have covered this before but will add a bit of info if it helps someone.

SiS is encrypted using PowerVu which is basically a Military Grade encryption linked directly to Uncle Sam's War Machine. They use it for AFN so military personnel can watch their home TV. This has never been hacked and IMHO never will be. There is no commercial gain to be had from cracking this system. If you did crack this encryption then selling it in "Russian Boxes" would simply result in the encryption key being changed thus rendering the boxes useless. That is a big IF and you must bear in mind the US Military would not take kindly to you hacking their system and you could find a large gun poking you in the face!

The resources required to hack this code would be enormous and IF you managed it then you'd be selling it to China/Russia/Al Qaeda, changing your identity and then spend the rest of your life looking over your shoulder. Using it to make a few quid on "Russian Boxes" or trading in running just doesn't enter the equation!

On a lighter note I did know a very lucky person who plucked a Receiver from a skip outside a bookies. He found it still had the encryption keys and he could watch SiS. It worked for about a year and then it stopped. You will see PowerVu Rx units on EBay but they will not have the valid keys so they are glorified doorstops!
olligeorge

If using the SIS ’live’ feed gives so much of an edge, surely it would be worth the subscription fee and being legit, or am I missing something?
JollyGreen

olligeorge wrote:If using the SIS ’live’ feed gives so much of an edge, surely it would be worth the subscription fee and being legit, or am I missing something?

You are correct. Basically things have moved on a lot since the early days of SiS. When TurfTV bought the rights to broadcast for some of the UK courses (RUK is domestic version) it changed the landscape because now SiS would only allow you to view the courses covered by ATR. You could buy the SiS at Home service for about £8K + VAT per annum. I know a couple of people who use this and they make a decent living at it.

Then people started to visit the track and traded from there. I first did it about 4 years ago and this meant no delay. I was laughed at but then it became big business. With the new PC3 it will make it hard for these track players to continue. The more people taking part means they are fighting for the same piece of the pie. This meant it was harder to make profits so when you add PC3 and combine it with their expenses it starts to kill them off.
Iron

I think those boxes might be a tad illegal...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 16116.html

Jeff
JollyGreen

Ferru123 wrote:I think those boxes might be a tad illegal...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/cr ... 16116.html

Jeff
That is a Virgin STB which is relatively easy to clone or hack. Now imagine how the forces of Uncle Sam would descend on you if they find you have hacked their STB!
Iron

Considering they want to extradite a guy called Gary McKinnon, who allegedly hacked into their military computers whilst on British soil (in search of evidence of UFOs, apparently), and McKinnon could face 20 years in prison, I'd give it a miss!

I'm sure Bradley Manning is a nice guy, but I wouldn't want to be sharing a cell with him! :lol:

Jeff
JollyGreen wrote: That is a Virgin STB which is relatively easy to clone or hack. Now imagine how the forces of Uncle Sam would descend on you if they find you have hacked their STB!
Stillfanta

This can be hacked i use ever day. dont know about all in's and out with it but defo can be hacked because i dont pay sis
freddy

You don't really need to be able to hack it,
what happens mostly with such things is someone somewhere is paying for it and just redistributing the feed to others.
mcfc1981

id guess it works the same as cardshare

Return to “Trading Horse racing”