Ladbrokes in talks with Betdaq

The purple place, the most viable alternative to the Betfair exchange
andyfuller

You beat me to it - I really should get up earlier!

Scott Ferguson's take on it:

http://www.sportismadeforbetting.com/20 ... etdaq.html
Euler

Expanding the scope of Betdaq in this manner is probably Betdaq's best chance of competing with Betfair. Betfair have annoyed many in the channel by refusing to engage with others on commercially acceptable terms. Though it is the people behind the prices that are the clever people, not Betdaq themselves. But they can offer a platform for people looking to exploit Betfair pricing by proxy IMHO.
LeTiss

Ladbrokes were rumoured to be interested in BD a while back

I'm not really sure how this would benefit punters / traders though, as any deal will see Lads just wanting to direct punters to them.

I've said it before, but the best chance we have of somebody creating real opposition to BF, is if a struggling online bookie decides to transform into an exchange instead. Or, as previously discussed, ToteSport become a virtual State owned Exchange
andyfuller

No chance of the latter as ToteSport is owned by Fred Done now.

I think the best chance of a rival to Betfair could come from America but I can't see it happening anytime soon.

If the American racing industry had their heads screwed on they would come up with their own betting exchange and stop the likes of Betfair. It would mean much better funding for the sport than if they let Betfair in imo. But the US racing industry is so segmented that I can't see it ever happening and Betfair will exploit this and cause the industry a lot of harm, though the industry is already doing that to themselves without a helping hand form Betfair.
LeTiss

Yeah, my apologies, I didn't word that that at all well. In the build up to BetFred buying ToteSport, the idea of the Tote becoming a Government owned Exchange was being put forward by many different people.

If we're holding out for the Americans, then that's going to be while yet
Euler

andyfuller wrote:If the American racing industry had their heads screwed on they would come up with their own betting exchange and stop the likes of Betfair. It would mean much better funding for the sport than if they let Betfair in imo. But the US racing industry is so segmented that I can't see it ever happening and Betfair will exploit this and cause the industry a lot of harm, though the industry is already doing that to themselves without a helping hand form Betfair.
I did some work on the US horse racing market last year and it is horribly fragmented and divided. If you thought the UK was in a mess you need to look at the US!
Zapata

Not the same Ladbrokes that banned me in October 09 after I lost exactly £1886 to them in the previous 7 days. :shock:
freddy

Not good news imo,
winners are not welcome at ladbrokes by any stretch of the imagination,

so how long before greed gets in the way and they are not welcome at Betdaq either.
Euler

I wonder what Ladbrokes would do with them though? May give it a liquidity boost if they are smart and widen the number of markets. Would liven things up in the market place if something did go ahead.
LeTiss

I can imagine the bookmaking industry is experiencing difficult times, and the exchanges have made competition cut throat

If Ladbrokes were to buy BD they could use their financial power to populate many markets with their own prices. This will lead to bets being matched that wouldn't have happened due to people not logging onto Ladbrokes.com
Once layers then better their prices, they will simply mop up the commission and be onto a guaranteed winner.

It's a great move for Lads, and a good move for us because BD have proven to be inadequate opposition to BF, but Ladbrokes would be a totally different animal for BF to deal with
Iron

Ladbrokes fires digital director Richard Ames over botched strategy - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/news ... ategy.html
Euler

Reading some of the financial results and analyst reports Ladbrokes have struggled to get the online stuff going very well so it looks like a nice fit at this moment.
mcfc1981

just a name change from betdaq to ladbrokes would add liquidity.

Return to “Betdaq exchange”