Animal Cruelty in Aus Greyhounds

We've gone to the dogs.
Naffman

I didn't see the show because I knew it would have been so hard to even watch, but this is absolutely disgusting behavior by these trainers. Those people using live bait must be completely f****d in the head to do something like that. Take a look if it is not to disturbing for you - http://iview.abc.net.au/programs/four-corners

And if anyone on here reading this knows of any animal abuse in any form, please inform RSPCA.
LeTiss

I've mentioned this before on this forum, but in 1990/91 myself and some mates were interested in buying an A7-A8 greyhound at Pompey dogs.

The costs didn't put us off......what put us off was the terrible way in which these Greyhounds were treated, especially once the poor souls were no longer fit to race
spreadbetting

I doubt it's limited to Australian Greyhounds in fact the way most livestock is treated and killed should be enough to turn us all vegetarian. Horseracing is hardly the sport of kings either when it comes to the treatment of animals. The sad fact is most of us are happy to turn a blind eye if it's saving or making us money.
Wainwright

Truly sickening story.

There's an e-petition to ask for more legal protection for greyhounds in England;

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/71130
98lewisj

spreadbetting wrote:I doubt it's limited to Australian Greyhounds in fact the way most livestock is treated and killed should be enough to turn us all vegetarian. Horseracing is hardly the sport of kings either when it comes to the treatment of animals. The sad fact is most of us are happy to turn a blind eye if it's saving or making us money.
I have had/been involved in race horses in the past and I can assure you I have never come across any cruelty what so ever. If anything race horses are treated better than most. I keep in contact with the ex-racers and I know there are loving there retirement. Regular pics of them etc.
walski5

I have two greyhounds that are ex-racers from this country. My older greyhound raced in Ireland and Sittingbourne, but retired at 4 due to injury. I got him directly from the trainers, and to be honest didnt really know too much about him but he had a lovely temprement. I looked his racing history up and he ran 50 odd times in his English career. I visited the trainers on a couple of occasions and they were lovely. However, the downside to owning an ex-racing greyhound is the vast amount I have spent on vets bills due to the injuries he suffered whilst racing. He is a big lump for a greyhound, however his body took a hell of a pounding over his racing career. He is 8 now, and hardly ever runs around, and this is mainly due to the soreness in his legs. I also have a female that raced at Romford but was retired at quite an early age, due to her being small and constantly being bumped out on bends.
I have a mate in Australia whose Dad was a greyhound trainer in Victoria. I once asked him the question about what happened to those that didnt make it as racers. I am afraid that all he said to me was "you dont want to know mate"

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”