Greyhound Scalping and Trading

We've gone to the dogs.
Crazyskier

I agree. Also, because of the spikes in Greyhounds whereby your SL could get blown and just sit there miles away from the current back price[/quote]

YUP - that's what I see most races and the stop loss only seems to be set by ticks not asking price?
cybernet69

Crazyskier wrote:I agree. Also, because of the spikes in Greyhounds whereby your SL could get blown and just sit there miles away from the current back price
YUP - that's what I see most races and the stop loss only seems to be set by ticks not asking price?[/quote]

YES. That's the biggest problem. Personally I think you should be able to set your SL by ticks or price. That way you could build a trigger to say if back_price <= x send a trade in @ 1.01 because most of the time setting or having a SL is useless especially on Greyhounds. Much better to close it out with the best price the market will offer. Maybe this could be a suggestion for the BA team ?
PeterLe

This is easily done with Excel.
I often have both Guardian and Excel working in conjunction on the same market.
Guardian seems to have the edge where speed is needed, so I use that for bets that are speed dependant and then excel does the tidying up. for eg closing and greening at reverse price
cybernet69

I am not allowed to post my results here anymore.

One thing I have changed is to only trade during the last 60 seconds of each market. This seems to make it much more consistent with regards to price matching. Makes sense as this is the period when most of the money comes in. It also helps me cut down on the number of TX(s) so as to not incur any charges from betfair. :D

Cheers,
Dallas

I dont think there is any objections to you posting results if there from your Betfair P&L page
guy333

PeterLe wrote: Look; Ill probably not be too popular saying this; but if you detail exactly what your doing in a public forum, your strategy will most probably stop working overnight as everyone will attempt to do the same thing.
Personally I think it is quite refreshing for someone to be willing to help other users.

Do you really think that a handful of copycats are going to affect a strategy when thousands of pounds are traded on each race?

Surely it is the interest of all users for as many fellow Bet Angel users as possible to find a winning strategy.

I am still plugging away but will have to cease my subscription if I cannot make it work soon.
LinusP

guy333 wrote: Do you really think that a handful of copycats are going to affect a strategy when thousands of pounds are traded on each race?
100%
guy333 wrote: Surely it is the interest of all users for as many fellow Bet Angel users as possible to find a winning strategy.
Its a zero sum game (almost), we are all against each other when it comes to the markets.
Dallas

guy333 wrote:
PeterLe wrote: Look; Ill probably not be too popular saying this; but if you detail exactly what your doing in a public forum, your strategy will most probably stop working overnight as everyone will attempt to do the same thing.
Personally I think it is quite refreshing for someone to be willing to help other users.

Do you really think that a handful of copycats are going to affect a strategy when thousands of pounds are traded on each race?

Surely it is the interest of all users for as many fellow Bet Angel users as possible to find a winning strategy.

I am still plugging away but will have to cease my subscription if I cannot make it work soon.
Everyone would like to see fellow forum users making a profit but if everyone done exactly the same stratergy all would end up losing.

For example in horse racing dozens of users will be using some sort of IR stratergy looking for low odds but each will be using there own combination of triggers, staking and conditions like book%, WOM, latest prices & tick movements etc with all making some level of profit.
(PeterLe has previoustly posted how he himeself uses 3 variations on a stratergy on the same races each with slightly different settings - all which are profitable)

But if everyone started using exactly the same criteria any edge and profitablity has gone immedietly.

The forum is full of users all helping each other in one way or another and PeterLe in particular has handed out more than his fair share of help and advice to other users but there is a line between helping and guiding people and publically sharing the exact details of a stratergy which will benefit no one once copied by all.

As the saying goes there more than one way to skin a cat
cybernet69

guy333 wrote:

Hi,

Don't be put off if you are struggling to find something that works long term. We have all been there. Some of us for many years. More than 90% of people don't make a profit on Betfair or placing speculative bets at the local bookmakers. It's true that it is a zero sum game. But that doesn't mean you can't find an edge to any market. Yes, it takes time, unless you are lucky enough to know someone who is willing to share some knowledge. It took me 8 years to come up with something which works. The problem is you need to do allot of research, try it out, modify it, scrap it and usually start again. Most think/want a way of giving up their day job, press a button, walk away and come back to $$$$$ in their BF account. If everyone achieved that then nobody would offer odds on BF and alike of large financial institutions would just blow all the small people out of the water with stupid amounts both sides of a market. Some do by the way on certain horse races!!!. If you can't afford the BA subscription then take a break for a couple of months, do some research and paper trade ideas for awhile. Best of luck and keep your chin up, you will get there, it just takes allot of time and effort...

The best advice I can give you is NEVER EVER take the back or lay odds on offer. Look at the other prices available well away from the current market offers!!! ;) Depending on the market there will always be someone or a bot that will take YOUR offers when they are trying to close out their positions!!! ;)
xitian

cybernet69 wrote:The best advice I can give you is NEVER EVER take the back or lay odds on offer.
Isn't using a stop-loss taking odds which are on offer?
cybernet69

xitian wrote:
cybernet69 wrote:The best advice I can give you is NEVER EVER take the back or lay odds on offer.
Isn't using a stop-loss taking odds which are on offer?
That's when you need to get out of a trade. What I meant was when you initial open a trade DO NOT take the best back or lay price on offer.
Pinnochio

;)
Last edited by Pinnochio on Sat Dec 24, 2016 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guy333

Dallas wrote:
guy333 wrote:

Everyone would like to see fellow forum users making a profit but if everyone done exactly the same stratergy all would end up losing.
My point is that there are thousands of traders/gamblers on Betfair. This thread may be popular but I don't think posting a strategy here is going to instantly lead to hundreds or thousands of people using the same strategy.

I am not asking for anyone to give me their secrets. I have been plugging away for years and if I ever crack it I would be reluctant to pass it on to someone who has not put in the years of graft that I have.

Having said that I have relatively recently found the Automation on Bet Angel and so am always glad of any tips.
cybernet69

If you are going to trade Greyhounds then make sure the back book % is below 110%. This usually happens around 2/3 minutes before the start of the race. Why 110% ?, well most greyhound books will start around 200% because nobody is trading any of the prices on offer because the back odds are far to low for any type of value to be found. When the book goes below 110% then the odds much more reflect the percentage odds of each dog winning. Also, before you start backing or laying make sure the back price is <= LTP. You will often see a gap of 3 ticks or more between the second best back price and the current best back price. If you are laying then this is the area you should be looking at for each dog in the race priced below 10. ;)
stu410

cybernet69 wrote:
marko236 wrote:Nice going cybernet, looks like your getting a really nice profit.

I would say trading dogs is harder than horse's due to volume.

Well done.
I personally think that Dogs is easier due to exploiting the price gaps on the first 3. No indicators, just fill the gaps. Also there are around 80 UK races per day. I only take a 1 tick offset/SL. The red ones so far today was due to my internet playing up. Its taken me a number of months to fully automate this although not with BA.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”