Greyhound cards

We've gone to the dogs.
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Had a nose this morning again at these and the volumes were not too bad. Tradable, nowhere near the same extent as the horses, but not terrible. Better than virtual racing anyhow! :lol:
100202 - Greyhound racing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LeTiss

Actually, I've been dabbling a little on greyhounds myself

The liquidity has definitely risen
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I think you are right, I've definitely missed a trick here.
Nero Tulip

Greyhounds have been brilliant for a long time.
Predicton

Hi gents,

is it only certain tracks that attract the money? I've looked from time to time but haven't seen a red cent on offer,

cheers P
psycho

Hi

I've got a laying system but the difference between the b/f odds and SP are higher on the dogs than is the case with the GGs. Also, the money comes very fast and very late. So, I have to do a partial trade to get close to SP. Trading the dogs, I have to say, ain't rocket science. I don't have Bet Angel so I have to do it manually. However, if I did have Bet Angel, life would be a little easier. A bit more liquidity would also be helpful - but it is slowly increasing. Still, you can't have everything in life.

Psycho :twisted:
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

Predicton wrote:Hi gents,

is it only certain tracks that attract the money? I've looked from time to time but haven't seen a red cent on offer,

cheers P
I've visited the dogs now and again but avoided for the same reason. But maybe I have been guilty of just not looking hard enough. It seems the late morning / afternoon cards attract reasonable liquidity now but the evening cards are hopeless, apart from when they are on TV. I've done very well this week on them, so I will continue to devote some time to building a more defined strategy.
Jimmy

Bet Angel wrote:
Predicton wrote:Hi gents,]
I've visited the dogs now and again but avoided for the same reason. But maybe I have been guilty of just not looking hard enough. It seems the late morning / afternoon cards attract reasonable liquidity now but the evening cards are hopeless, apart from when they are on TV. I've done very well this week on them, so I will continue to devote some time to building a more defined strategy.
Hi BetAngel,
I do have to disagree with you on this one, from a small stakes of £35 on back or lay trading can achieve approx £10-£20 every 30-60 minutes at night every night, apart from sunday nights when theres no racing. This is more than most people earn in an hour. Its not always about the big hit every race its all about the small steady wins. A small drip fills a big bucket. Its great in the winter as you can still have funds coming in when there is no evening racing.
I found it a great way to see if I could enjoy trading and yes I love it.

Cheers

Jimmy
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I can't seem to get the evening stuff to work, but do well in the afternoon.
SpikeyBob

Bet Angel wrote:I can't seem to get the evening stuff to work, but do well in the afternoon.
Maybe you need some trading advice ;) .
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

:lol:

I think the problem is my trading style is quite aggressive so if the market isn't flush with cash I tend to fall over myself. From what I have seen so far the liquidity just isn't strong enough to support me on certain races / meetings. Still a work in progress for me but it's a useful addition to the daily total so it's getting more and more of my attention.
baz4u2

I've been looking for a greyhound laying strategy,but have been struggling. but I do like the ammount of races..lots of opportunity!!
Psycho..where did you find your method??
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I carried on my "throw money at it" strategy this week and haven't done so well, so pulling back the stakes now to more reasonable levels and that seems to be doing the trick. Shame they are no bigger markets as the frequency of races is a big bonus.
Jimmy

Hi Betangel,

Yes that is the problem, When people us big stakes on greyhounds they mess it up for everyone. The small guys get matched by a massive back and then they pull out and the bigger guy can't get out. So all in all no one makes money. On any normal night you might be looking at tops £50 to £100 stakes. I haven't been trading for the last couple of nights as I have been busy, but I did notice the other night that someone was chucking in £400+ and there was even a £1000 back, which I did laugh at. As most people who trade the dogs know that sort of cash is not all real and you can nip in and out if your not to greedy and take small bites out of the big player. Fantastic

Like I said before, A little drip fills a big bucket.

Cheers

Jimmy
psycho

Hi Baz4u2

My apologies, good sir, only just seen your post.

Where did I get my system from?

I developed it based upon my horse laying systems but anyone can develop a Dog or any other system based upon my methods.

The thing about horse and dog races is that, essentially, Betfair's markets are perfect in that a dog's/horse's chances of winning are determined by its odds (after the odds have been corrected for the overround).

Given the above, 'invent' a system. It doesn't really matter how/what. For example, you could lay or back all dogs that start from trap 1, dogs whose name begins with the letter A, dogs whose odds are 4/1 etc. Which system you choose insn't important. What is important is that you are consistent.

Once you have a system, record the results of at least 1,000 races.

Now decide whether you will use your system as a backing or as a laying system. Again, it doesn't matter which.

You will find that that the strike rate of the system will rise and fall and your system will have winning and losing periods.

Now use mean reversion to determine future periods when your system will probably win. In this case, place bets. Now, determine future periods when your system will probably lose. In this case, monitor the system but do not place bets.

Mean Reversion will not guarantee success but it should give you enough of an edge to win over the long term.

Note: Mean Reversion can turn a system off for days/weeks or even months. The way to get around this is to have several systems. In this way, if one system is switched off, another may be switched on.

The thing about dogs is that, if you are layng, you have to do a partial trade in order to get close to or even better than SP i.e. you have to lay first and then back (using a smaller stake than that used when laying) at higher odds. If you don't, you won't win because of the high odds. If you can get close to or even beat SP then, long term, you should win.

Hope that this helps.

Psycho :twisted:

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”