Today's Greyhounds

We've gone to the dogs.
eightbo

Can't recall 1 AUS market go off before post yet but only traded a few hundred markets. Are they more responsible with their start times vs. UK or is it just a coincidence?
PeterLe

PeterLe wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 11:10 am
Oscar wrote:
Sat Apr 27, 2019 9:45 am
To PeterLe,

I too have adopted and adapted one of Dallas's bots and it is surprisingly (for me), looking encouraging.
I've made a few tweeks and so far have been getting around 70% green, although using very small stakes, so
the profit can't be appreciated.
I decided to look at the dogs when the horses were off sick the other month. I just need the confidence and maybe a few more adjustments before I decide to increase my stakes.
With the profits you have been able to achieve, I doubt we are using the same technique. I would be interested to know what kind of stakes you are using. I'm using £1 at the moment.

Jackie
Hi Jackie,
I wanted to take advantage of SP so i use £11 liability on the lay side (I just wanted to make sure I met the minimum £10 stake)..and i started off with the same target of £11 on the back bets too. My goal is to look at the profits long term, so if I have a losing day, Im not too worried about that. If you look at the graph, you will see that I had a big losing day a few days ago and having looked at the data, I can see no reason for it. Equally Ive had some good days too.

One thing I would suggest you doing is read the blog by Peter (Cant remember the title ,but it refers to whether you have just been lucky or unlucky, a recent post).. to check whether you have just been luck and caught one of the 'good days' or weeks etc..BEFORE increasing stakes
You probably know how to do this, but if it helps others..you would download the SP data CSV files (Google Betfair SP Prices), then check your results against the actual overall results..
Eg Say your system only laid selections between 2-4, how would you have done if you had laid everything within those parameters..and compare how you actually did using your own strategy.
Once you have a a few weeks data (ie a couple of thousand races under your belt), you will start to see a trend of if you were lucky, or you were better.
Ive just started to use the same system on the pre race Horses too..to early to say if it is working yet, but in profit
Both hugely scaleable, which is what is most interesting to me.
Good Luck!
Regards
Peter
PS I once had a GH system that ran for nearly four months and looked like it was going to fly long term, but it didnt, in the end it looked like a letter 'n', so Im not counting my chickens just yet :D

PS It would be good to see some of the equity curves from the more established GH traders for inspiration :)

Edit : Here is the Blog Post I mentioned above..https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5fyLqVCqjE
Jackie,
Just to add to this post. ..and as Ive just spent the last couple of hours checking my results...I thought it may be useful to see a real example of how to test if you have just been lucky or not.
The graph below is a pre race strategy for Horses, its only been running from the 20th April, but its just to illustrate a point.
By checking the all actual results from the SP data. Had I bet on every single selection that matched a certain criteria, the profit and loss would have been as per graph one. By applying my own extra criteria (ie the secret sauce as its been called on here), then graph 2 are the actual results.\
So in essence, I know that Ive not been lucky as the general trend has been down whilst mine has been up. So Ill continue with this for a while before increasing the stakes. Not sure where this will take me, but thats part of the fun :D
Hope that helps.
Regards
Peter
PS Its interesting if you check out the top chart, as there were points on the graph that had you started your strategy just before the up trend, you may have thought that it was a winning strategy, whereas it would have been a false dawn :o
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eightbo

Nottingham - OR 500m
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Emmson

21.08 Romford has been suspended before 21.00...............don't tell me it has started about 10 mins early. :cry:

Can't be weather as the next 2 have not been suspended. I'm exposed here on the fave :evil:

EDIT thankfully now unsuspended, took about 4 mins
Oscar

To PeterLe,

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding and many thanks for your ideas, graphs and info.
I've had a reluctant break from "tinkering" with trading and now I'm just trying to catch up again.
Looking forward to a fun challenge.
Best
Jackie
Dim

The last market at Moonmor was strange today. Got suspended 45 s before the off. Got open again about 18s and was not suspended with the star of the race effectively went in-play .

hmmmmmmm :roll:
eightbo

It was actually the 2nd last @ Monmore (21:47). Market suspended 55s early for a 19s duration before re-opening.
The market appeared to suspend as normal before the race started (no late erratic moves which can be linked to IP activity).
TipTopTrader

The last thing you need to think about when trading Aus dogs is jumping early.To start dead on the start time is so rare.Coming from a Aus racing background I couldn't believe it when I heard traders dicussing the fact that the uk dogs are known for starting before the jump time.
BetScalper

TipTopTrader wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 12:49 am
The last thing you need to think about when trading Aus dogs is jumping early.To start dead on the start time is so rare.Coming from a Aus racing background I couldn't believe it when I heard traders dicussing the fact that the uk dogs are known for starting before the jump time.
Certain tracks are worse than others.

It comes down to the track owners and/or on-track bookies and/or TV scheduling.

Also, depending where the track is then the last race must finish by a certain time due to noise restrictions imposed by the local council using By-Laws etc.

From my experience on-track bookies have allot of power when it comes to influencing when a race actually starts in the UK.
Dim

7.42 at Sheff was interesting today, got suspended 19 s before the off and reopened 8 s before the start .
Naffman

Dim wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 7:46 pm
7.42 at Sheff was interesting today, got suspended 19 s before the off and reopened 8 s before the start .
Just took a look and it did it again on the 19:52 as well, bloody didn't take my back bets at SP either as that had already been 'set'
BetScalper

Its been said before so we will say it again, If your trading on Greyhounds in the UK then you need to be out one way or the other at the 30 second mark. Many will be out at the 50 second mark.

You have been warned, so stop complaining about it. The on-track bookie, dog owner, track owner, TV company or the person who waters the track incorrectly doesn't care about your trades or what time you placed them.
Naffman

Alright mate settle down...and if you actually watched the market they weren't even off, the market suspended then came back again
Kai

BetScalper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm
Its been said before so we will say it again, If your trading on Greyhounds in the UK then you need to be out one way or the other at the 30 second mark. Many will be out at the 50 second mark.

You have been warned, so stop complaining about it. The on-track bookie, dog owner, track owner, TV company or the person who waters the track incorrectly doesn't care about your trades or what time you placed them.
Sounds like someone's having a bad day already :?
sionascaig

BetScalper wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 11:00 pm

I used to think that too however the problem was a simple as my PC clock being out (slow) by 30 secs or so... Peter posted some helpful advice, specifically use of the NetTime tool (timesynctool.com) and most of my problems disappeared - there is some discussion on this & I think early start time somewhere on this thread...

==> Quite relaxed about it all now with a safety bot running in the background, take SP and green outs 10 to 20secs after start of racetime... You can also stick in a time since market suspended condition to help cater for the example mentioned.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”