Trading Greyhound racing

We've gone to the dogs.
Euler

Go on my little beauty.

Please suggest some resources for Greyhound racing and I'll amend this header with your suggestions.
Halliday

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:42 am
Go on my little beauty.

Please suggest some resources for Greyhound racing and I'll amend this header with your suggestions.
Well done that man !!
HRacing

As much as I have enjoyed trying the greyhound markets it has been very tough to try and make constant pennies throughout the day. I find that a more 'simple' automation doesnt really cut it in these markets as it may in others. Very difficult to find a 'signal' to go off to start the automation. As tough as it is, good fun trying to crack the code before the racing starts.
jimibt

HRacing wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:50 am
As much as I have enjoyed trying the greyhound markets it has been very tough to try and make constant pennies throughout the day. I find that a more 'simple' automation doesnt really cut it in these markets as it may in others. Very difficult to find a 'signal' to go off to start the automation. As tough as it is, good fun trying to crack the code before the racing starts.
one thing the greys has taught (and continues to teach) me is that if a kernel of an idea works well on the greys, it stands a good chance of working exceptionally well on the nags (pre-off). this is a blessing, given the sheer volume of markets day in day out on said greys.
HRacing

Very interesting, Iv had no success trying to automate the nags pre-off which in turn probably explains why I am struggling with the 'greys' :)
Euler

deansaccount wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 am
Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am
I'm thinking maybe it's time to start a new thread so we can actually talk about greyhound racing?

I wanted to reply to a comment last night, but I've lost it in the melee.
I had asked you how much you wait to be matched on the market and on the horse being traded? 😃
I think you meant dog?

You can pretty much go by the gradings. The higher quality races tend to be really liquid and there are lots you can do in them. The lower quality stuff is a bit more variable.

I haven't refined my automation enough to look at specific races, so I just set a hurdle of £5k by 60 seconds to activate any trading. I think that's too rough and ready TBH. But it's improved my results.
obitus

Assuming this thread has taken over from the other one, do most peoples automation files scalp or look for swings in the dogs? or a mixture of both?
sionascaig

I've been trading manually for the last few weeks & one of the biggest risks I believe is races starting early, e.g. on Sunday quite a few races "seemed" to go off 30 secs before start. I say seemed, as still not sure if its my PC that has the issue or if indeed they race goes off early. This means I really need to think about winding up positions at 60 secs to go just as a lot of the money starts to come in.

To manage risk of leaving an exposed position I think Peter suggested using the "Take SP" feature through Guardian automation, so even if you don't have an automated way of trading it could still be worth while having a Take SP bot running in the background.

In terms of resources to support Greyhound races I would be keen on any other suggestions / features that could help mitigate the start time risk.

Other key indicators for me are: vol matched & book %

Perhaps a bot that plays a sound when book % & volume matched meet certain criteria and runs the Take SP once every second is the way to go ....
deansaccount

Euler wrote:
Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 am
deansaccount wrote:
Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:37 am
Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:23 am
I'm thinking maybe it's time to start a new thread so we can actually talk about greyhound racing?

I wanted to reply to a comment last night, but I've lost it in the melee.
I had asked you how much you wait to be matched on the market and on the horse being traded? 😃
I think you meant dog?

You can pretty much go by the gradings. The higher quality races tend to be really liquid and there are lots you can do in them. The lower quality stuff is a bit more variable.

I haven't refined my automation enough to look at specific races, so I just set a hurdle of £5k by 60 seconds to activate any trading. I think that's too rough and ready TBH. But it's improved my results.
haha yes I did indeed mean dog. Do you mean you just trade in the final 60 seconds if 5k is matched? I assume you green up 30 seconds before the off time due to greyhound start times being variable, leaving the bot to trade for 30 seconds?
welshboy06

He may not green up 30s before the off. Ithink he uses the 'Take SP' option incase the race goes off early.
BetScalper

You can just wait until 5k has been matched in the market, trade and get out before 40 seconds to go. The off times are scheduled start times but not set in stone. They can also be delayed if a dog gets pulled and a reserve one is used. Some tracks are worse than others. The big races at established tracks tend to go off on time. But not always. I don't know why but on-course bookies can influence the actual start times. Always thought greyhound racing was seriously bent. All the hassle (travel, vet bills, food, training) and very often the winner gets £50, given some races have 25k matched then why would you bother unless you knew full well your dog had no chance and betting against it on the side.
deansaccount

welshboy06 wrote:
Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:02 pm
He may not green up 30s before the off. Ithink he uses the 'Take SP' option incase the race goes off early.
I was of the opinion that 'Take SP' did not work on the Greyhounds?
deansaccount

I'm assuming Take SP will not hedge any profit / loss?
BetScalper

It should take SP on any pending or offset bets i presume.

From what I have seen not all races support SP ?

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”