Australian Newspaper

We've gone to the dogs.
northbound

A few questions from someone who’s never been to Australia.

Do they have betting shops over there like in the UK?

Do they bet on horses/dogs in betting shops?

Do they have something similar to the UK’s Racing Post? With horses/dogs previews and tips...
Shamrock

No betting shops but they do have the TAB which is linked to the racecourse. There are three and depending on which state you are in defines the price your paid, this is why you will see three prices for a winner. You can back fixed odds in the TAB on any sport including racing.
There is a paper but I cannot think of the name, somone else may be able to help.

Also large clubs and pubs will have a TAB outlet where you can have a bet and a drink.
Opening hours are from around 10am till the last race (about 10pm)
northbound

Thanks Shamrock
whimsies

Remember it is illegal to bet inplay except on horse racing
northbound

So, what's the main "betting" newspaper in Australia?
Cards37

Depends on the state. Most state capital cities have a daily tabloid that has a formguide.
northbound

Cards37 wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 11:17 am
Depends on the state. Most state capital cities have a daily tabloid that has a formguide.
Thanks. So basically there’s no nationwide paper such as the Racing Post over there.
Cards37

Not that I am aware off. Web based stuff though of course.
Derek27

Do you have a rough idea of how many racecourses there are in Australia Cards37?

In the UK there's about 60 but I suspect Australia will have a lot more?
mcgoo

Found this-wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_h ... ing_venues
"There are over 360 registered racecourses in Australia where Thoroughbred racing takes place during about 3,050 race meetings. There are also a number of separate harness racing tracks"
Derek27

Thanks mcgoo. I'd imagine there's too much racing for a single newspaper to cover everything.
gazuty

The tabloids (all one of them in each major city) and the broadsheets (all two of them) have form guides. The AFR is your paper for financial tables.

Back in the day (before the internet) when I used to frequent the newsagent there were all sorts of racing publications eg Best Bets, the Sporting Globe and other weekly's etc. I never bought them or got interested in them. Often though they were handily placed beside the "men"s interest" section so when I was a young lad I could cast an eye over that way and perhaps "accidently on purpose" pick one up to quickly leaf through (before the days of plastic wrapping) while the newsagent wasn't looking. A guilty pleasure for a 12 yo boy.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”