Peter Webb taking SP on greyhound automation

We've gone to the dogs.
Leeds1919

A question about Greyhound automation

I watched the video on youtube with Mr Webb and Psychoff (link below) , brilliant video and lots of interesting stuff discussed but the one moment that caught my attention was 58:50 into the video where Peter is asked about how he deals with australian dogs going off late and he says he trades past post time in those markets and takes SP. I always thought the objective would be to green before post time? It must give a very odd looking profit and loss with lots of £0.00 results and relatively big wins and losses? I thought it would be more efficient to green up?

Is this generally how people set their automation on greyhound markets?

https://youtu.be/0OuSGUx4Nv0
ShaunWhite

Presumably he greens up at sp. It's fairly standard.
You just need to maintain a greening back or lay bet placed outside of the current range to cover your current liability, and set that to take sp.
It a method that rarely returns an exactly balanced position because you never exactly know where sp will be, but it's near enough.
Leeds1919

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:10 pm
Presumably he greens up at sp. It's fairly standard.
You just need to maintain a greening back or lay bet placed outside of the current range to cover your current liability, and set that to take sp.
It a method that rarely returns an exactly balanced position because you never exactly know where sp will be, but it's near enough.
Thats what I thought at first but that would be manual trading. If automated you would have to use NET stake no? I know theres a servant to Take SP and green all selections but that only works on in play markets.
ShaunWhite

Leeds1919 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:10 pm
Thats what I thought at first but that would be manual trading. If automated you would have to use NET stake no? I know theres a servant to Take SP and green all selections but that only works on in play markets.
You can take sp on all dog and horse markets, what you can't do is take sp after an event has gone in-play.
I've no idea what he does but that's what I do. I trade automation right up to the off and any hedging above a certain threshold is automatically maintained to tidy up at sp.
ShaunWhite

You might have to wait for Peter to reply to this one, afterall he's got the answer.
Euler

Closing orders past off time are simply taken to SP, that's all. It results in a slightly bumpy P&L but it all averages out.
Leeds1919

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 10:05 am
Closing orders past off time are simply taken to SP, that's all. It results in a slightly bumpy P&L but it all averages out.
So its NET stake thats taken to SP and its not greened up?

Sorry for stupid questions i'm trying to wrap my head around it ;p
Euler

I open a position, put the closing position in and if unmatched before the off it goes to SP. It's no more complex than that.
Leeds1919

Euler wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:59 pm
I open a position, put the closing position in and if unmatched before the off it goes to SP. It's no more complex than that.
But its not greened up its NET stake so that's why the profit and loss is bumpy as you say?
Euler

The automation stops and hedges near post then restarts.
ShaunWhite

Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm
Euler wrote:
But its not greened up its NET stake so that's why the profit and loss is bumpy as you say?
You can stake whatever you want from getting a free bet thru to fully hedged, but when BSP is resolved the staking is now just slightly wrong . Why are you convinced it's net stake?
Leeds1919

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:20 pm
Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:41 pm
Euler wrote:
You can stake whatever you want from getting a free bet thru to fully hedged, but when BSP is resolved the staking is now just slightly wrong . Why are you convinced it's net stake?
Im not convinced of anything thats why theres a question mark. Ive seen a few of Peters videos and he says he never greens up until the very last, thats why im wondering if its NET stake.

Or does he do it differently with automation? For example is the closing order that gets taken to SP a green up order? I should have asked that in the first instance, I realise I havent asked this question clearly :oops:
Euler

Just offset with greening and take it to SP
ShaunWhite

Leeds1919 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:35 pm
I realise I havent asked this question clearly :oops:
no probs.
Bottomline is that everyone just does what suits them and/or their abilities. Personally I maintain a closing order that gets taken at SP which hedges(ish). It very rarely gets it spot on so the race outcome affects the pl. Some I gain on and some I loss on but over 1000s it evens out because bsp, taken at large scale, is just about correct. In that regard unless you're concerned about more variation than necessary (and paying slightly more commission) letting dogs run vs closing them out makes little long term difference.
Leeds1919

Ok that makes a lot of sense. Thanks both of you for your patience as much as your knowledge.

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”