Grrr!

We've gone to the dogs.
Iron

If anyone is thinking of trading greyhounds, be warned that the markets seem to sometimes close a few seconds before the official off time... :evil:

Jeff
legendz

It's considered an inferior sport Jeff , therefore they dont have the timing like the horses, football etc. probably go off some guys watch :D , especially if the traps have failed and they need to catch up with 9mins between races they sometimes push it by a few seconds to catch up. Also the other way they are made to wait past official time to let big races go without clashing. in four years i've never seen it more than 10 secs before the off.
cezar78

i lost a lot of money betting greyhound, football is better
Iron

The main challenge I have with greyhound markets is that they are often gappy and the liquidity is poor on the whole.

I know some people like to offer money within the gap, and fair play if you can get that to work. However, personally I'm not comfortable with that approach, as you can be left high and dry if the market takes your money and then moves strongly against your position.

With regards to betting on greyhounds, I once corresponded with a guy who lays greyhounds profitably, so it can be done, but you're up against insider knowledge. This guy admitted to me that he won't go up against a dog that has had a big gamble on it winning, as such dogs are very dangerous. If you see a dog with a forecast price of 6/1 that goes off at 3/1, don't be surprised if it wins easily (but equally, don't assume that there's any value in backing it).

Jeff
cezar78 wrote:i lost a lot of money betting greyhound, football is better
LeTiss

I used to know a guy who owned a greyhound at Pompey dogs. He gave me insight into the inner workings of dog racing, that was enough to avoid it as a trading platform
Iron

There has to be a reason why someone would enter their dog in a race on a cold and wet evening for a 1 in 6 chance of winning £20...

Jeff
LeTiss 4pm wrote:I used to know a guy who owned a greyhound at Pompey dogs. He gave me insight into the inner workings of dog racing, that was enough to avoid it as a trading platform
freddy

Been playing about on the greyhounds abit lately cos of the bad weather,

and all i can say is it's brutal :evil:

the money comes in so late on
leaving you seconds to make your money.

That part is quite easy, but Betfair seem to suspend the markets when ever they feel like it.
sometimes 20 seconds before the off :? .

It's seems impossible not to get caught out to me with an open trade even if you had sis pictures.

not my idea of fun :oops:
Iron

Are you certain it's not the case that your computer clock is 20 seconds out? :)

You can download an atomic clock FOC, and get it to check and update the time on your computer regularly, meaning that your computer clock will always be near as dammit 100% accurate.

Jeff
freddy wrote: That part is quite easy, but Betfair seem to suspend the markets when ever they feel like it.
sometimes 20 seconds before the off :? .
freddy

No it 's not that :D

Sometimes there is no money matched until the clock is well below 0:00 anyway, so you carn't base it on that or you wouldn't ever complete a trade :) .

I've been listening to the races on Ladbrokes radio and althoe i realise it's delayed by a few seconds it's pretty clear that Betfair are very sloppy with the suspensions.

Ive been caught out a few times now, so it's not really worth while for me.
dogform

Greyhound races are often started after the scheduled off time. This is possibly due to requests from the SIS schedulers who allocate horse racing priority on the SIS service.

Anyone who attempts to trade greyhounds with bots where the scheduled off time is used as a variable in an algorithm is an idiot. The liquidity comes late and fast and often after the scheduled off time.

Rgds
dog
Iron

I was trading Henlow yesterday, and the race started about 30 seconds before the scheduled off! :evil:

Jeff
dogform

Ferru123 wrote:I was trading Henlow yesterday, and the race started about 30 seconds before the scheduled off! :evil:

Jeff

Jeff,

The scheduled off times for greyhound races on SIS are subject to both types of variation, ie, before or after the scheduled time.

It's just my personal opinion but anyone trying to regularly trade greyhound racing shown on the SIS service should try to get SIS pictures. The bookmaker online radio commentaries are behind reality due to the inherent latency associated with the technology. In addition, the trader is also subject to the vagaries of the Betfair suspend process.

For TV greyhound racing shown on RPTV then things should be better for a trader due to less latency and the availability of relatively "live" pictures. In addition, there should be no requests from SIS shedulers to manipulate the scheduled off times for RPTV races.

For bet placement where the selection is simply backed or layed based on a judgement call without a trade out then the bookmaker online radio commentaries can be reasonable as an indicator of the impending off time. The quality of the online radio race commentaries is another matter, they can be appallingly innacurate on occasion.

Rgds
dog

Return to “Trading Greyhound racing”