Phantom positions? (weird) - Edit now with video

Any markets not covered in the other boards
Euler

I'd be really interested in being able to replicate this. Fairly enough there is a bot trying to make a market, but on every event? That seems beyond the ability of most so you have to wonder who can cover all those markets at once?
gazuty

OK.

I was beggining to feel like the boy who cried wolf.

Finally captured it this morning on video. This will bake your mind, well it bakes mine. I will also be forwarding this to betfair.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu57JNdLwO4

I am going about my morning routine. I load up a market and go about setting it up for the day and on loading I see that I can make a killing given there appears to be a serious fat finger lay against every runner. Except as you will see, I cannot hit any of those positions.

Unbelievable. What is going on?

PS, Hoping not to see too many of you guys joining me in these markets - hopefully too esoteric for the rest of you.
Last edited by gazuty on Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
convoysur-2

where is the video ?????
gazuty

Youtube link?
Euler

You are looking at cross matching: -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bys1lu-18wo
gazuty

Sure, but the positions are not capable of being taken?

The example I posted is extreme given the type if market, but the position should not appear if it is not possible of being hit?

In your video, those positions that appear on the other side are capable of being taken. The positions, already in the market, that I am trying to hit are not capable for being taken? Rather they just disappear? And are replaced by my own bet on the opposite side.
Euler

I'll need to replicate it but I reckon this is what you are seeing: -

Betfair switch on and off cross matching in a completely arbitrary manner. They don't tell the API when it is active or not. So... you have a setting in Bet Angel where you can show virtual bets or not.

If you have virtual bets on they will show whether or not Betfair have XM switched on. Therefore if you try and take a virtual bet it will magically disappear.

You should be able to test this by comparing the Bet Angel screen to Betfair or by switching the cross matching on or off.
gazuty

Thanks.

Yes, I think it is definitely a cross-matching issue and next time I'll toggle the switch to see what occurs.

When I spoke with betfair first thing they said was that the relevant market was a cross-matching market.

Personally, I don't like their cross-matching engine. I made a lot more money before they switched it on.
Euler

gazuty wrote:Personally, I don't like their cross-matching engine. I made a lot more money before they switched it on.
I dislike it also, it's done nothing to 'increase liquidity' as Betfair said. It's increased their bottom line and really scrambled up a number of strategies.
haichless

Interesting, making less money, dont like x matching, and many many more problems with betfair, premium charge, people beating suspends in football, and yet not many switch to betdaq etc...
I guess betfair know they can do anything much and most people will moan a bit and then even though they dont like it, will just lump it..
I certainly make more money on betdaq now im 80% on their..
Each to their own.
Lagos

I agree with Peter, cross matching is a real pain in the backside.I wish Betfair would turn it off, but I dont think there is much chance of that happening.
haichless

how do customers bring about a change from a service supplier that they disagree with.
1.bring it to their attention
2.give the provider time to respond/explain
3.if still unsatisfied after reponse or if no response you have two options
a. accept it
b. vote with your feet and dont buy any longer

simples...
we all get the service we deserve in the end.
gazuty

Betfair customer service.

I ring, they ask me to send in the video.

I ask them if I should contact [email protected]. They say no, do not send to bdp but send to ausinfo.

I email ausinfo. They respond and say they cannot help me. (Suppress laughter).

I email bdp. I get a response within 24 hours. They say the api is showing cached bets post a suspend. They ask me if I was looking at the market soon after a suspend.

I reply, ah no, I think it's a cross matching issue. But a problematic one because I cannot take the bets.

The email me and ask me about whether the market had been suspended. I reply and ask about cross matching and tell them I wasn't looking at cached bets.

No further correspondence received.

Follow up to bdp sent.
Iron

If you don't get a reply, I'd CC your follow up email to a couple of directors. That might focus minds... ;)

Jeff
gazuty wrote: Follow up to bdp sent.
rogerlisa

Stratford 4.30 today in play. Any one explain what the hell that was all about! cost me money! Is this the fake positions you are on about?

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”