The 34th Americas Cup (2013 )

Any markets not covered in the other boards
hhh

Anyone traded or following the Americas Cup?

Understand not many would be aware of the cup going on, or its history, however the story behind the final race tomorrow and the series itself is one for the history books - something to read up on if you love sport.

Only £100k matched on betfair, however amazing history of events - and subsequent fight back by Oracle.

The short of it:
After Team New Zealand won the Louis Vuitton cup (vs Sweden/Italy), they were still underdogs when up against the current cup holders, Oracle. With the financial backing of Larry Ellison, Oracle had acquired some key personnel + technology and were expected to retain the cup.

Before the final began (with the winner being the first to win 9 races), Oracle was slapped with a two-point penalty for illegally modifying their catamaran.

When racing did get underway, Team New Zealand were immediately seen as the faster boat, with an obvious advantage upwind.

After the first 9 races, Team New Zealand were ahead 8 - 1, and only needed the one more race to win the cup.

On betfair, £27.9k was matched under 1.10.

In the 9th race, which was lost very very badly by Oracle, they choose not to race that afternoon and went back to the drawing board. Apparently, they got rid of their tactician and acquired the services of Sir Ben Ainsley, the pommy yachtsman who was with team New Zealand last challenge.

This morning, Oracle has just won their 10th race, so it is 8 all on the scoreboard taking into account the -2 pt penalty.

Should be a cracking final race tomorrow, and if you have never seen a yacht race on TV (if they have it in your country) the coverage is pretty good!

Highly recommended...

Betfair Market
http://www.betfair.com/exchange/yachtin ... .110898477

Race history
http://www.americascup.com/en/results-standings

On a personal note, I am a kiwi so hoping Team New Zealand gets across the line :roll:

Not confident though to be honest - if you are a punter and like the short odds then Oracle is currently 1.3
Euler

They did it, amazing!
25-09-2013 16-58-06 - New Zea.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hhh

Yep, they owned us again.

On paper it would look like we capitulated as per the NZ cricket team, however the word now is that after race 9 Oracle applied some automated technology to allow them to get up on the foils (so the boat lifts out of the water) more efficiently.

Interesting to see how late application of technology, influenced such a strong reversal in the market. Those in the know would have been laughing...

Good on them.
hhh

Oracles first Americas Cup Marketing campaign showcasing their technology...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw7Aqc5b0Fg#!
kelpie

I also had a sniff around TNZ to win on 1.1. It seemed so obvious when they were 8-1 ahead. But those odds are too small for me and I left it... just as well!

However, I think the whole penalisation of Team USA is a story yet to be told in full. Who was twisting whose arm behind the scenes? Never before in America's Cup history, a race dominated by pushing the technical edge, has their been penalisation of one team BEFORE the race starts. And officials just happen to make a decision that favours New Zealand...

Rugby World Cup 2011 spring to anyone's mind?
hhh

kelpie wrote:The penalisation of Team USA is a story yet to be told in full.

Agree there probably are a few other things going on in the background, however as I understand it they were penalised for banned modifications to their yachts in 2012. It does sound like a bit of a have, however it would have been an Americas Cup Jury panel to make the decision I assume...?
kelpie wrote:And officials just happen to make a decision that favours New Zealand...
Sensing a conspiracy theory? Luna Rossa or Artemis could have been the benefactors???
kelpie wrote:Rugby World Cup 2011 spring to anyone's mind?
No - what conspiracy is this?
hhh

Looks like Australia & potentially Britain are going to be putting in a challenge for the cup next time around...

Aussie challenge makes life tougher for Team NZ
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/americas-c ... or-Team-NZ
PeterLe

Its interesting to see how technology plays a part (data analytics and real time big data processing).
Shows what you can do when you are a billionaire (Larry) and chuck bucket loads of resource on it...

http://realbusiness.co.uk/article/24276 ... e-team-usa

It make you wonder how technology will play a part is other sports in the future..more so than now

Return to “Other Betfair Sports Trading markets”