Closed account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm
I don't know much about GDPR either but I presume, as with the Data Protection Act, there will be a lot of exemptions that Betfair can hide behind.
The Data Protection Act is a UK only law. GDPR is a European law (Croatia joined in 2013) but it's to do with permissions about what they hold and who the sell it to, not the disclosure of your personal data to you.

What exemptions are there?
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 6:41 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:34 pm
I don't know much about GDPR either but I presume, as with the Data Protection Act, there will be a lot of exemptions that Betfair can hide behind.
The Data Protection Act is a UK only law. GDPR is a European law (Croatia joined in 2013) but it's to do with permissions about what they hold and who the sell it to, not the disclosure of your personal data to you.

What exemptions are there?
As I said I don't know much about GDPR - it was just a presumption.

I'm sure there must be provisions, either in GDPR or other legislation to deny requests for data in certain circumstances, for example, fraud investigations.
spreadbetting

The UK are adopting the GDPR even though we're leaving the EU, it replaces the DPA and covers all data so he can still do a SAR ( subject access request) as Betfair will have to abide by it. Only thing they can do is redact info from anyone linked to his data that hasn't given permission for hin to have it i.e. any other accounts involved not with his name. Even though the time limits have now been reduced from 40 to 30 days I'd imagine Betfair will drag it out as long as possible, so probably not worth trying at this stage.
PDC

I would apply for it as soon as possible as it gets the clock ticking on the maximum 30 days. This can be extended beyond 30 days but there is specific criteria that has to be meet in order to extend this deadline. If the deadline is not meet Betfair would be liable for a fine from the ICO. They can't just drag it out without legitimate reason to do so.

It should not cost anything to do, it will also potentially focus their minds about sorting out the closed account and there is nothing to be lost by applying for it. They are also not allowed to delete or amend data unless it would be done normally so it isn't like they could do a cover up.

There is a lot of useful information on this link from the ICO:

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... of-access/
grandeR

I just want to inform you that today i got this email from Betfair:
Thank your your patience. We would like to inform you that the investigation is now over and your account is now active.

Regards

Account Security Team
Betfair

:) Maybe they read this forum :)
Thank you guys for advising me,cheers!
Euler

Pleased to see it was resolved successfully.
ShaunWhite

Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 pm
I'm sure there must be provisions, either in GDPR or other legislation to deny requests for data in certain circumstances, for example, fraud investigations.
When you're a defendant, your brief must have access, by law, to anything the prossecution plans to use so that wouldn't be the case.
No conspiracy there this time.

Maybe you should question your biases, "I'm sure..." :)
Derek27

ShaunWhite wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:11 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 7:11 pm
When you're a defendant, your brief must have access, by law, to anything the prossecution plans to use so that wouldn't be the case.
No conspiracy there this time.

Maybe you should question your biases, "I'm sure..." :)
Fraud investigations don't involve a defendant - only a prosecution does.

Return to “Betfair exchange”