Closed account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
grandeR

I m profesional trader on Betfair for 8 years,also im a long term winner.Before 7 days Betfair just closed my account,no explanation why,no email.Support said its ongoing investigation with my account and they inform me with in 24-48 hours...Nothing.Now I cant even chat becouse i cant log-in.Im writing this here becouse i assume what happened.So day before they closed my account I win about 5k$ on basketball.I noticed month ago two guys on low liqudity market placing bets for example cleveland leads 105-90, 1 minute before end,and they placing bets on hendicap cleveland -1,5 for some amounts.Its hard to catch them couse they are fast.Obviusly these guys doing this to avoid Premium charge but this time i lay bet in front of him and he backed me for 5 k$ (I had screen shots of that).Of course I m on the exchange to win a money like all of us and if they offer me easy money i will take it,every trader would take that as well.Notice one more thing,I already pay Premium charge at 20%,so they will charge that winning with PC.But they closed my account with no explanation and i have significant amount of money on it,almost all my bankroll and thats why im writing this.Can someone help me with advice or anything im not from UK so sorry for my english.
wearthefoxhat

grandeR wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 am
I m profesional trader on Betfair for 8 years,also im a long term winner.Before 7 days Betfair just closed my account,no explanation why,no email.Support said its ongoing investigation with my account and they inform me with in 24-48 hours...Nothing.Now I cant even chat becouse i cant log-in.Im writing this here becouse i assume what happened.So day before they closed my account I win about 5k$ on basketball.I noticed month ago two guys on low liqudity market placing bets for example cleveland leads 105-90, 1 minute before end,and they placing bets on hendicap cleveland -1,5 for some amounts.Its hard to catch them couse they are fast.Obviusly these guys doing this to avoid Premium charge but this time i lay bet in front of him and he backed me for 5 k$ (I had screen shots of that).Of course I m on the exchange to win a money like all of us and if they offer me easy money i will take it,every trader would take that as well.Notice one more thing,I already pay Premium charge at 20%,so they will charge that winning with PC.But they closed my account with no explanation and i have significant amount of money on it,almost all my bankroll and thats why im writing this.Can someone help me with advice or anything im not from UK so sorry for my english.
They may have been trying to avoid the PC, another one to consider is that they were participating in some form of money laundering. This is obviously more serious than avoiding PC. It sounds as though you may have unwittingly got yourself caught up in the crossfire and are now under investigation.

If all previous trades have been above board then you may be okay. One idea is to explain everything you said in the above post and hope they believe you.
BetScalper

grandeR wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:07 am
Sounds like your account has been flagged for betting irregularities.

Which country are you from ?
Euler

You may want to read this thread also: -

viewtopic.php?t=2835&start=410
spreadbetting

Sounds like you've been caught up by the PC avoidance team,people transfer winning balances to new accounts to avoid the PC. You'll just have to sit it out until they conclude their investigations. If you're innocent it should be quite obvious to them and they'll release the account hopefully with your $5K winnings.

Sadly just a case of sitting it out as there's nothing you can do until they contact you now, keep us informed of how it pans out.
grandeR

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 11:57 am
Sounds like you've been caught up by the PC avoidance team,people transfer winning balances to new accounts to avoid the PC. You'll just have to sit it out until they conclude their investigations. If you're innocent it should be quite obvious to them and they'll release the account hopefully with your $5K winnings.

Sadly just a case of sitting it out as there's nothing you can do until they contact you now, keep us informed of how it pans out.
I m sick of siting out 7 days and when i talk to them on phone they say sorry our security account team does't take outer calls,investigations in on so wait literally who know how long,their comunication is zero.To repeat,my account is old and im hit by PC 5,6 years ago.Also im from Croatia.
grandeR

Also about money laundering..I wouldnt certainly keep my bankroll on site,that would be be stupid,right...I think i made last withdrawal year ago
Last edited by grandeR on Mon May 28, 2018 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BetScalper

grandeR wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 12:50 pm
Also about money laundering...If i do that i will certainly dont keep my bankroll on site,that will be stupid,right...I think i made last withdrawal year ago
I don't even know who you could contact in Croatia to lodge a complaint with, maybe the Ministry of Finance ????? :roll:

Apart from that then I think you are stuffed until they resolve the situation at their own pace.
grandeR

Maybe Malta Gaming Authority?
PDC

Could you not take advantage of the new GDPR rules which meam Betfair have to upon your request release all the information they hold on you.

I do not know much about GDPR but on the radio they have talked about it being a lot easier for customers to get access to all the data that a company holds about you.

This is likely to be handled by a Human Resources department who will be independent of the team investigating you and they will legally not be allowed to hide any information they hold about you.

Something to consider and look at in more depth.
marksmeets302

I was in a similar situation. When they say they the security team is working on it, it's probably true. It's just those guys are either swamped with work or are really lazy. It takes a really long time for them to move. In my case I had already concluded I wasn't going to resolve this on my own and had made an appointment with a lawyer. Then all of a sudden the money on my accounts was returned. No phone call or email, no information at all. Just like when they first blocked the accounts, as they apparently did with you.

Give it some time, but keep calling them every day.
spreadbetting

How long did it take in total to get the account back?
marksmeets302

spreadbetting wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 3:25 pm
How long did it take in total to get the account back?
I had 9 accounts at the time. They quickly opened one, but I couldn't access the others. After about a month they transferred the funds on those accounts to to the open one. I have only one account now, and have withdrawn most of the money since then.
spreadbetting

Thanks, so I'm guessing you weren't left without an account fi they set up a new one for you.
Derek27

PDC wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 1:15 pm
Could you not take advantage of the new GDPR rules which meam Betfair have to upon your request release all the information they hold on you.

I do not know much about GDPR but on the radio they have talked about it being a lot easier for customers to get access to all the data that a company holds about you.

This is likely to be handled by a Human Resources department who will be independent of the team investigating you and they will legally not be allowed to hide any information they hold about you.

Something to consider and look at in more depth.
I don't know much about GDPR either but I presume, as with the Data Protection Act, there will be a lot of exemptions that Betfair can hide behind.

Return to “Betfair exchange”