HACKED Money removed from my account

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:41 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:38 pm
weemac wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:17 pm
How do these people get into your account in the first place? I think the account gets locked after 5 incorrect password attempts. How can they know the password?
There's a piece of software which sits on your machine and looks for certain URL to be actioned. Once they are then it records your login details etc and sends them to whoever installed the software on your machine.

You can setup this software and tailor it what too look for and where to send the results too.

I can't remember the name of it but the Police and Banks are fully aware of it.

Use to know I guy who got done for fraud and he use to remote install it on peoples machines without them knowing via an unlocked port number.
You make it sound as though everybody has this software installed on their machine by default!

You're talking about a trojan that most people won't have and can be prevented with good security.
Didn't mean too.

Usually its an email.

But if you have a port open on your machine then they can randomly target you remotely by scanning router addresses.

PS. Its called SKYWALKER and nothing to do with the film franchise.
Derek27

My knowledge on computer security is way out of date but I would expect a firewall to keep unused ports closed and warn you of port scanning attempts, that is, hackers trying to connect with each port in turn.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:07 pm
My knowledge on computer security is way out of date but I would expect a firewall to keep unused ports closed and warn you of port scanning attempts, that is, hackers trying to connect with each port in turn.
They don't by default. That's why so many get caught put.

Port 631 is open, used by printers but can still be used by hackers.
ShaunWhite

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm
You seem to know a lot about it, and a pal who was done for fraud too. I won't be downloading any files you put on here !
BetScalper

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:42 pm
BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 4:12 pm
You seem to know a lot about it, and a pal who was done for fraud too. I won't be downloading any files you put on here !
:lol:

I worked in IT for awhile with Cisco routers. Its common knowledge.
ANGELS15

suff22886 presumably the £800 was also withdrawn via Skrill like the £10 was later on? The reason I ask is that it seems whoever did this couldn't withdraw it to another bank account unless sufficient deposits had been made from that other account.

I've been a victim of fraud recently myself. Got a letter from a finance company recently chasing up payments for credit run up in my name. Fortunately no money was taken from my account. luckily after ringing the company and speaking with one of their reps it soon became apparent it was a case of fraud.

I was advised to ring Actionfraud. Perhaps you should do the same? they deal with online/cyber crime. You'll get a crime reference no which hopefully will aid your case.

Good luck with whatever you do in trying to get it sorted
Derek27

Perhaps it's a reminder to us all to check what accounts we have linked to Betfair and remove accounts not in use. I would think this type of fraud should be quite rare because the fraudster needs access to Betfair and the linked account.
BetScalper

Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm
Perhaps it's a reminder to us all to check what accounts we have linked to Betfair and remove accounts not in use. I would think this type of fraud should be quite rare because the fraudster needs access to Betfair and the linked account.
Have you not seen the News night program that followed a hacker/fraudster who sat in Starbucks with a laptop and was able to access/install software on several peoples laptops/smartphones while pretending to use his own laptop and talking on his phone ?

It was funny but at the same time rather scary to watch.
markfox78

I had my account hacked once. Whoever it was put a bet on a tennis game whilst i was out driving.

You can see in your settings a list of IP addresses that have used your account and in my case my account had been accessed 3 times from Vietnam. I have to say that Betfair were really good and they locked my account, opened a new one and after about 2 weeks i got my money back.

I believe in my case it was because i was using a couple of VPNs and it was because of that. I now have 2 step authentifaction and i've had no problems since.
suff22886

no 2 step activation, i used to use it but stopped when getting a new phone :( lesson learnt.

it’s hard to ask skrill about it, because they deposited £10 with an unknown skrill account, and withdrew the money to the same one. i can’t see what skrill account, when talking to the “contact us” they said it was my skrill account but that’s been deactivated for years, so that’s confusing.

contacted the online fraud website. i’m sure i would have lost the £800 at the world cup anyways..... but it’s just abit worrying if somebody got access to my files. driving license, card details, bank, family details etc. i was on a public wifi at the time (work wifi)

i doubt i’ll see the money again as the funds have left betfair. skrill won’t give it back i bet.
BetScalper

suff22886 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 9:35 pm
no 2 step activation, i used to use it but stopped when getting a new phone :( lesson learnt.

it’s hard to ask skrill about it, because they deposited £10 with an unknown skrill account, and withdrew the money to the same one. i can’t see what skrill account, when talking to the “contact us” they said it was my skrill account but that’s been deactivated for years, so that’s confusing.

contacted the online fraud website. i’m sure i would have lost the £800 at the world cup anyways..... but it’s just abit worrying if somebody got access to my files. driving license, card details, bank, family details etc. i was on a public wifi at the time (work wifi)

i doubt i’ll see the money again as the funds have left betfair. skrill won’t give it back i bet.
Public WiFi is a NO NO.

Problem is, its easy access. Trains, Buses, Pubs, Restaurants, Airports, Cafés, Libraries , walking along the street. And the amount of paperwork that's stuck in ones bin before the dustmen turn up.

Everyone thinks their secure. But there not, far from it.
Derek27

Is it worth contacting the police?
whimsies

Keeping separate passwords for betfair and generic online accounts as hackers targets soft accounts for passwords and use them banks, betfair etc as we are creatures of habit.
BetScalper

I think people are missing the point.

Password security is only half the story these days. If somehow they manage to get remote access to your machine then it doesn't matter what your password is, it could be 20 characters long, using numbers, letters and special characters.

If you have key logging software installed/hidden then its only a matter of time before someone/somewhere empties your on-line accounts.

You need to lock down routers, firewalls, ports and change passwords regularly.

The problem is most people don't know how to protect themselves in the 21st Century.

Why do you think the Police, Banks and other organisations are usually one step behind all the time!!!!!
gutuami

BetScalper wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:18 pm
Derek27 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 7:03 pm
Have you not seen the News night program that followed a hacker/fraudster who sat in Starbucks with a laptop and was able to access/install software on several peoples laptops/smartphones while pretending to use his own laptop and talking on his phone ?

It was funny but at the same time rather scary to watch.
this is also fun to watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwpg-AwJ0Jc

as to suff22886 I would recomend to contact everyone that could help - skrill, bank, police, betfair. fight for your money. there's a good chance that you might get it back.

Return to “Betfair exchange”