Spread between lay prices and back prices

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
nlsmth

Rookie question:

Given that (afaik) for every backer there’s a layer playing the same sums and odds (and viceversa) is there a high enough chance to get matched if I were to lay Nagasaki at 6.6 and back them at 7.8?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jukebox

High enough chance for what? It costs nothing to make make an offer to the market - and even seemingly ridulously low value offers get taken everyday - Check most markets and you'll be surprised at the price points that get matched.
On this market I can see that money has already changed hands at 7.8 and 5.4 on Nagasaki
nlsmth

Jukebox wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:38 am
High enough chance for what? It costs nothing to make make an offer to the market - and even seemingly ridulously low value offers get taken everyday - Check most markets and you'll be surprised at the price points that get matched.
On this market I can see that money has already changed hands at 7.8 and 5.4 on Nagasaki
Hmm I see, I was generally wondering whether there’s a decent chance of profiting from this gap for most of the games out there
Jukebox

If you mean "can I just blindly offer to lay a team at a very low price on every football match and offer to back the same team at a very high price and expect them both to get matched and sit back and watch the profits come in?" Then no.
ShaunWhite

nlsmth wrote:
Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:54 am
Hmm I see, I was generally wondering whether there’s a decent chance of profiting from this gap for most of the games out there
It might just be your terminology but the 6.6 - 7.8 you mention in that market isn't a gap.

There's only a gap at @ 7.2 and spread is 7.0/7.4.

If you put offers in at those prices, that basically what scalping is. As for the chances of both getting fully filled, that's a big big question. If nothing happens in the real world, then fairly good, but if anything happens in the real world, fairly bad.

Therefore the answer to that big big question is simply, wagwan? And you hope the answer is nagwan.
(to save you looking it up http://www.yourdictionary.com/wagwan) :)

Return to “Betfair exchange”