Betfair error - advice needed

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
danum

Would appreciate the forum's view here:

Yesterday I placed an opening back trade, before kick off, on the Leicester vs. Brighton U2.5 goals market. I also placed a closing trade to make a small profit (assuming no goals) and made this a keep bet as I was due to miss the first half. I checked the Betfair app on my phone about 15 mins into the 2nd half and it showed I still had full liability, my closing trade hadn't been processed so I cashed out (at a much better price as no goals had been scored).

Turns out that Betfair incorrectly voided my matched bet following the VAR review of the Brighton penalty (they have accepted this) but they didn't make the amendments until 22:44 last night. As a result I have now made a loss (small) on this match rather than the small profit I should have. I have accepted that my original bets should stand, so I shouldn't get the larger profit, but my view is that that the later closing trades I placed should be voided as these were made due to BF incorrectly voiding my matched bet.

BF's stance is that all trades should stand as per their logs, I have asked for this to be reviewed and I am awaiting their repsonse. What do you think, do I have a chance?
JohnT

That isn't exactly what happened.

The penalty was awarded and the markets were suspended.

VAR decided to check and the market remained suspended.

The penalty was missed and the markets were reopened.

The problem occured when Betfair voided the bets that were matched
AFTER the market was reopened.
danum

JohnT wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:14 pm
That isn't exactly what happened.

The penalty was awarded and the markets were suspended.

VAR decided to check and the market remained suspended.

The penalty was missed and the markets were reopened.

The problem occured when Betfair voided the bets that were matched
AFTER the market was reopened.
That's good to know, the pertinent bit is that BF voided bets in error which they didn't correct (or maybe even identify) until after the game had finished. The subsequent trades I placed were to cash out and were made via the BF app as I was out...
Dabbla

From betfair
The traders just got back to us.

It seems that after the penalty was awarded, VAR came in at 17:12:38 UTC, the penalty was confirmed by VAR however the markets were voided for some reason. This has been raised with the IT department and is currently being looked into. I do apologize for the delay and any inconveniences caused.

Edit
I didnt realize BF reversed the void bets. Thankfully brighton didnt win and i made a few quid :)
jamesedwards

Not only has VAR ruined the beautiful game but it has also created an enormous banana skin for people trading football automatically in-play. How can one rely on market positions and greening-up/exiting positions if you discover some of your bets have been voided after the fact due to some nonsense VAR incident? Disappointing.
gewage83

I had a very similar issue on the O/U 1.5 goals market. I had green book on the market so stopped checking it. then the next morning my balance was down and when I checked I was -£56 on the market. I had a live chat with support and was told that there was a "technical issue" where bets were "incorrectly voided" and that they didn't see there was any loss to me as they returned my stake. which if this was all instantaneously at the time would have been fine, as I would have replaced the bets at probably better odds, but they did it retrospectively after the match, so I ended up being -£56.

They've basically told me that the matter is closed and I just have to deal with it. :evil:

I'm starting to see why people are looking for alternative exchanges to trade.
Crazyskier

Actually today on the greyhounds I had a similar issue to the one I just read with the Brighton game: I had some value bookmaking bets taken which was showing me a nice green when the late money came and I greened up; however after entering and being matched on several of these green ups, all of the earlier matched bets suddenly disappeared entirely, leaving me with the other half which was initially a green-up.

This actually cost me a bit by the time I'd traded out and there was no warning whatsoever. The bets were completely removed from the bet log too!

Is there any recourse for this? And under what possible circumstances would BF cancel and remove bets already matched? especially when other bets are being made to green them up?

CS
jamesedwards

Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 pm
Actually today on the greyhounds I had a similar issue to the one I just read with the Brighton game: I had some value bookmaking bets taken which was showing me a nice green when the late money came and I greened up; however after entering and being matched on several of these green ups, all of the earlier matched bets suddenly disappeared entirely, leaving me with the other half which was initially a green-up.

This actually cost me a bit by the time I'd traded out and there was no warning whatsoever. The bets were completely removed from the bet log too!

Is there any recourse for this? And under what possible circumstances would BF cancel and remove bets already matched? especially when other bets are being made to green them up?

CS
What was the race? How long before off were the voided bets placed? Withdrawn/non-runner greyhound perhaps?
Crazyskier

jameegray1 wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:51 pm
Crazyskier wrote:
Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:38 pm

CS
What was the race? How long before off were the voided bets placed? Withdrawn/non-runner greyhound perhaps?
I forget the specific race though there was no withdrawal and the bets disappeared just after I was matched to green them, around 40 seconds out.

CS
firlandsfarm

What do the Bf T&C's say about such events? I'm sure Bf are acting within them but it may be worthwhile someone investigating them. I'm not a solicitor but sometimes "the contract" is not just the T&C's but includes all other communications such as advertising and marketing material etc. For example in insurance the contract is not the policy document, that in law is seen as evidence of the contract … the contract is actually the whole file leading to the issue of the policy document. Do we have a contracts solicitor as a forum member?

Return to “Betfair exchange”