WARNING - Betfair account hacked / fraud

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
Euler

Betfair would seemingly go to extraordinary lengths to collect possible charges that can be levied, so I look forward to seeing them put even more effort into using the same process to stop outright fraud. They already claim to have the technology to analyse in detail related activity so it should be fairly easy I would think.
Iron

Quite - If Betfair puy the same effort into protecting their customers as they did into extracting every penny possible from them, their security would be like Fort Knox! :lol:

Jeff
Euler wrote:Betfair would seemingly go to extraordinary lengths to collect possible charges
aleksandar

Does anyone of you know what system could they use to transfer money between accounts? The best I can think of is to use some sort of martingale. But in the long run they can't do anything with it.
poklius

Betfair poker is easiest way to transfer money, no need for fake accounts or complicated systems, just some very bad calls :)
Euler

I'm sorry to say but this individual has been given the cold shoulder by Betfair. So their account is wiped out. Betfair admit that they did not place the bets but refuse to do anything about it. I'm shocked.

How can they link activity for the purposes of charging then deduct large sums of money retrospectively without providing proof, but not bother when somebody is defrauded is shocking, totally shocking. It is time for them to introduce much tighter security, much tighter.

I suggest if you have a Betfair account you keep only the absolute minimum in your account and change your passwords regularly. That didn't help this person, so you have to wonder if there is a system issue with Betfair or a deeper security issue. Else how can somebody at the first attempt log onto somebodies account and clean them out?
andyfuller

Has he considered getting in touch with the guy at the Daily Telegraph. I bet he would get a refund if the story went to press. Or what about Watchdog?
LeTiss

Yeah, I agree with Andy. This needs to be made public, because it's an absolute disgrace.

For BF to seem disinterested in people becoming the victims of fraud, that is beyond a bloody outrage.
Iron

Might be also worth people setting up a special bank account for Betfair, so fraudsters can't deposit all the money in your main bank account into Betfair and clean you out.

I know you need the CV2 no to make a deposit, but I bet there are pieces of software that can try every combination from 000 to 999...

Jeff
Euler wrote: I suggest if you have a Betfair account you keep only the absolute minimum in your account and change your passwords regularly.
Euler

They have no choice but to escalate it now I think, they will have to go to the police I would imagine. I'm curious now as to how widespread this issue is.

All the cases I have seen so far seem odd in that the account holders seem to have taken all normal security precautions. So how can somebody log on with one attempt and clean out the accounts?!?!?!
LeTiss

I recommend Jeff to contact the press, he seems to enjoy pitch battles with the establishment
LeTiss

Euler wrote:They have no choice but to escalate it now I think, they will have to go to the police I would imagine. I'm curious now as to how widespread this issue is.

All the cases I have seen so far seem odd in that the account holders seem to have taken all normal security precautions. So how can somebody log on with one attempt and clean out the accounts?!?!?!
I'm keen to know if these victims have anything in common at all? It might even be something minor that we're overlooking
andyfuller

I am surprised he hasn't already taken it to the Police tbh. If someone came into your home and took x amount of money off the side you would ring them straight away. He needs to get a Police incident number.

If it happened to me I would be going straight to the Telegraph guy - bet he would love to do a follow up story on the security breech one that he broke. I am sure a journalist could write an article that would combine the two stories and leave people asking question if the two stories are linked.

Madness if they don't as they have nothing to loose and everything to gain.
Euler

I think I have to start a campaign for Betfair to improve security. Given how terms are enforced on customers and the security issue that they didn't make public, better security is now a MUST!

In the meantime, everybody, please make sure you take all necessary precautions to protect your account.
Euler

andyfuller wrote:I am surprised he hasn't already taken it to the Police tbh. If someone came into your home and took x amount of money off the side you would ring them straight away. He needs to get a Police incident number.
I guess they sort of hoped it would be sorted without referring it.
andyfuller

Yeah I guess - but now I think they need to go to their local nick and get an incident number. The police won't be any use but they need to make this step imo. Also it would give their story more credence.

Return to “Betfair exchange”