WARNING - Betfair account hacked / fraud

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
superfrank

premium bonds are a rip-off. you'd be better off finding the highest interest savings a/c (sh1t also i know) and then buying a few euro lottery tickets every week (for the chance of a big win if that's your thing).

the only savings a/c i've had since the credit crunch that has beaten inflation is NS&I index-linked savings certs (unsurprisingly no longer available!).
PeterLe

Hi SF
Yep I know the return is not good...but high interest accounts are cra* too..and I just like the thought that I may just hit the big one! (just thinking that you may win is worth something??!)

However, you could argue that it's limited downside (as you could get your money back anytime) and potentially and lots of upside! maybe thats the trader coming out in me; I know the NPV will effectively mean the funds will erode over time..but they are making nothing in Betfair anyway! So win win!

Regards
Peter
LeTiss

I've had £5000 of Premium Bonds for 7 years. I've won 2* £500 since, and I put them back in, so I've now got £6k

Not the greatest of investments, but like Peter says, there's very little anywhere to get savers excited right now
superfrank

adjust that for inflation and you've still got less than you started with!

when you bought them they were a reasonable investment but they've slashed the amount paid in prizes and now it's just 1.5% (but tax free i suppose).
Mdave1

Hi, Just to let everyone know this is still going on, my account was hacked yesterday, got email from Betfair and now sorted. Never leave much money in my account so no damage
LeTiss

Mdave1 wrote:Hi, Just to let everyone know this is still going on, my account was hacked yesterday, got email from Betfair and now sorted. Never leave much money in my account so no damage
You were lucky

I suspect they wouldn't have been so receptive if you had thousands in there
Euler

I've had my accounts locked a couple of times but when I have spoken to security it appears to be user error has accidentally caused this. I can relate to this as I have sometimes done this the other way around.
LeTiss

user error, how does that work then?
walshy

Ive had an issue before where whilst in the middle of trading a race, I've been bombed out of betfair and then unable to log back in as the account was locked.

When I rang the helpdesk they informed me that I was bombed out because somebody was trying to login using my username (probably a typing error on their behalf) with an incorrect password .

I found this incredible as I had obviously used the correct password and had been trading for about 3 hours at the time. Luckily I didnt have an open position but 10 seconds before or after and I could well have.

Betfairs Helpdesk had the attitude that it was my fault for having a username that incorporated my surname and so was also similar to a lot of other people.

Their attitude stank but whats new about that?
Euler

LeTiss 4pm wrote:user error, how does that work then?
Similar to what 'washly' has said. Would worry me if it cut off while you were logged in. I've only experianced it before I have logged in.

Basically you have username 'username01' but somebody has a similar name and mistypes it a few times. Then you suddenly can't get into your account.
walshy

The fact that I was logged in and trading is why I was so angry at the time, as obviously it could have led to a big loss .

I can understand the issue with "username01" and with hindsight i wouldnt have picked a similar name.

It has only happened the once though!
aperson

I've just noticed in the "my security" part of my betfair account that you can now set up 2 step authentication, whereby you need your smartphone with you in order to access your account.I pressume this solves a lot of the issues mentioned in this thread? Sorry if this is old news but I've only just noticed it!
Euler

We put a new buld of Bet Angel on the site this week that is compatiable with two step authentication. So if you are thinking of using this, long overdue but welcome, security feature. Please ensure you download the very latest version of Bet Angel.
spreadbetting

Just saw a post about it on the bf forum, a welcome addition indeed. Have you tried adding the code to the end of the password in the existing app and seeing if6 that works as the say, Euler?

Return to “Betfair exchange”