Data Request Charges??

News, chat and debate about the Betfair betting exchange.
PeterLe

Hi
Has anyone incurred data request charges since they have been using the new Guardian Feature??

I have just incurred a large charge of the best part of £200! This has taken almost half of my profits over the last week> So it's bit of a sickener...

I have never had the "Limit Data Requests" set to anything higher than 19 nor had a browser open logged into my betfair account? ( I have two accounts with Betfair) that I run in parallel..but different user names/different debit cards...so this shouldn't have any bearing should it???

My set up on the day that I incurred the charge was approx 30 markets open in Guardian, 200ms refresh (and 200ms on the main screen)...
As I understood it...as long as the "limit Data Request" was set to <20..the refresh rate and number of markets open in Guaradian was irrelevant and was taken into account?

Any feedback/comments appreciated,
regards
Peter

PS..A long shot, but has anyone even had the data Request Charges cancelled on a goodwill Gesture?? (Do Betdaq has a similar limit??)
PeterLe

...Just to add some additional information to this...that may be relevant...
I am also testing a software product called "Grey Horse BOT (GHB)" that was also logged into the same account (different market) that incurred the charges. The data request for this software was set to 1 (it places a single bet on each dog in the greyhound market)...but well in advance of the star of the race, so a setting of just 1 was adequate...
However the combined value of both Betangel and GHB was never more than 20?..just thought this might be significant...
I just need to get to the bottom of it..as small charges would be OK, but not of that magnitude!!
..Going to take ages to get that back lol!! (Adam H/Peter W - If you wish to log into my account and trade for an hour, I think I could accommodate that !!!)

Regards
Peter
Jimmy

Hi Peter,

Yes I have got 3 accounts with betfair all with different user names and different cards. But yes Betfair do tie them all as one account. If you log in to your betfair account and then go to the betfair premium charge portal it will tell you in the top left which accounts are tie to that current login. Heres the premium charge portal if your not sure what it is.

https://premiumcharge.betfair.com/PremiumPortal/portal

Cheers

Jimmy
TheTub

Hi Jimmy & Peter,

Isn't the premium charge different to the data request charge?

I have to say I am a heavy user of the new Guardian feature and often have two machines running with Bet Angel with the entire day's racing loaded in each. I have them set to a maximum of 9 calls per second and so far have never incurred a charge. Setting to 9 also gives me a buffer for the 'bunching' that can occur with the data calls and lets me have the web interface open at the same time.

But my brother is about to start using the same internet connection as me to perform his trading so if Betfair charge by ip address then I will start to get worried. But I can't see this would be the case. Who would they charge for example? Me or him?
Squirtle

I use Guardian and I understand that all 20 calls, or whatever you set, are accounted for within guardian also. The only way you can go above that limit is if you have more than one application running that asks for data from Betfair. This includes the Betfair web site as well!

Surely Betfair should have a counter at their end so the user knows what they are using. Isn't it illegal to charge people without any referance to what charges they are incurring?

Been caught the odd time myself but have it under control now.
PeterLe

Hi
Yes the premium and data requests are different charges....
( I didn't know that they tie your accounts together when determining premium charges?? Got to be honest I did think about setting one up in my daughters name...but if they use an IP address to group accounts..????)...
Anyway, I'll see what betfair say when (if) they call...
By the way; Betangel support have confirmed that as long as yo have a singel instance of betangel running with limit set to <20, irrespective of how many markets, at any fresh rates you will not incur charges...
regards
Peter
PeterLe

Hi
Just had a call back from betfair....

They told me that the charges had been incurred most likely because I was running two instances of betangel (Different usernames) but 'Linked' in someway......(Didnt have time to ask him what he meant by linked..)
..and get this.........before I had chance to ask if they would refund all/some as a good will gesture...they offered to refund the full charge!....

I'm running a single instance today 200ms refresh at 15 requests/per sec...and the data usage team is going to run another report tomorrow for today usage just to check....

I have to take my hat off to the Betfair team; I didnt expect that!

regards
Peter
PS £61.35 up today...was aiming to recoup my charges...but now will go on the P/L!!
Squirtle

Betfair link all your accounts for purposes of the preimum charge and data charges. You can't get around this by just having different user names unfortunately.
chris_ri

This has become a bit more worrying today as I received a data usage charge of £31 for yesterday 2nd July. I run one copy of Betangel with the rules set to limit requests to 18 per minute and guardian set to refresh every 2 seconds. I've been trading daily for a few months with betangel open from about 2:00pm to 8:00pm. Yesterday was appeared to be not different from any other but boom £31 charge. I spoke to Betfair who referred me to [email protected] to check their data request logs (still no reply as yet), anybody else experienced anything similar?

regards,
Chris
LeTiss

I received two whopping data requests from Betfair, but they didn't charge me, they just warned me. It turns out I had more than 1 BetAngel window open. I always have BA and Betfair open, but never receive data request charges. Listening to everyone's comments, it seems a very inconsistent system
GaryC

A couple of weeks ago I got a bit for £280! Apparently this was because I had two instances of BetAngel running (which is quite possible)..Betfair refunding the cash on that occasion but doubt I'd get a refund if it happened again. Even so, I was still amazed how high the charge was.
chris_ri

Got to the bottom of my £31 charge.
The BDP people at betfair came back with graph of my data usage and it doubled for a 2.5 hour period on the 2nd July. They said I must have been running two copies of Betangel.
Now I run a single copy however a couple of times recently my XP based PC wouldn't shutdown and checking the process list I found there was still a Betangel zombie process (I had just closed Betangel), so I killed this process and the machine then shutdown cleanly.
The timings on Betfair's data usage graph for the period I was charged correspond to me closing Betangel halfway through the day and restarting. If a zombie Betangel process remained after this shutdown, the restart would result in a second copy of Betangel, the end of the double usage period also corresponded to the end of my trading day when I turned off my PC. Neil at BDP also sent a spreadsheet showing how the charge was calculated, there were about 38000 extra data calls over 2.5 hours which equalled £31!!
I think the moral is if I restart Betangel check the process list to ensure there is no Betangel process still running.

Cheers,

Chris
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

I think most people get caught by this sort of issue. The thing we all need is for Betfair to display this data somewhere so people can see they are calling too often and take action.
chris_ri

Yes sounds like a good idea, but it would need to show all requests Betfair were receiving on the same account, so would likely need support in the Betfair API (don't know if it currently supports such info). Showing what a single instance of Betangel is doing wouldnt have helped in my situation as the zombie Betangel only existed as a background process (i.e. had no user interface (open window) or presence on the task bar)

Cheers,
Chris
chris_ri

Postscript to my data charge, I wrote back to Bdp, thanking them for the quick turn around and asked whether Betfair might waive the charge due to the unintentional and unusual nature of the data usage. They wrote back yesterday and have refunded the charge as a goodwill gesture!

Cheers,

Chris

Return to “Betfair exchange”