Automation

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Darkpond1967

Hi Everybody,

I'm really new to Bet Angel and have been playing about with the automation. I'm still on the free trial and really close to subscribing but just not seen any real returns as yet. Today off the back of 10 races i'm £7 down!!!

I'm only using the simple racing scalp at the moment and haven't really got into designing my own automation.

So my questions are, are there any particular types of market more suited to automation and also, I have discovered that you can open 2 instances of Bet Angel, this then allows you to apply 2 different automation strategies or at least that is what I assume.

Am i correct in my assumption?

So i was using the simple racing scalp on one instance and the back clear favourite if leading all the race on the other, does this actually work? Both of these from the forum pages.

Thanks for your time, any feedback would be appreciated.
ShaunWhite

That assumption is correct.

There's as many types of automation as you think of and probably magnitudes more, all have the potential to turn a profit. But the skill lies in using the right strategies in the right situations. That knowledge takes a long time and detailed analysis of your results to acquire.

Take a look at all your trades so far, try and find a pattern in what worked and what didn't. Stick to the winning scenarios and try and find a different strategy for the others. Btw when I say 'what worked' bear in mind that even a good winning strategy, implemented on the 'ideal' markets, will still have its fair share of losing trades.
MemphisFlash

you can open as many instances of Bet Angel as you want.
Not restricted to just two.
ShaunWhite

Remember though that if both (or more) instances of BA are using the same BF account, then features like profit conditions and number of (un)matched bets will be the same on both. BA monitors your account position, not your position per strategy.
JeffMinton

hi guys,

im also new to BA and have been trying to get the hang of automation.

I played in 12 races today and im finding that time and time again bets just dont go on?

I am putting in a lay request at market price 10 secs prior to the jump, 5 secs prior to the jump a have a rule to take SP. These rules always trigger correctly but the bets just dont go on? there is plenty of money to cover the liability.

The final rule is back said selection in play and this part of the automation works 100% of the time. I just cant work out what im doing wrong with the initial lay bet? which only have a 75% success rate.

My first thought was that laying at best market price just wasnt getting matched if the selection drifted for the last 10 secs of betting, at that point i added a rule to take SP all unmatched bets but doesnt seem to work.

Any ideas how i can get my initial lay bet matched more successfully?
ShaunWhite

Is your bet size above the minimum liability for Take SP bets?

https://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/FAQs_theBasics.html
The minimum stake for a back bet at SP is £2 (or the local currency equivalent). The minimum liability if laying is £10 (or the local currency equivalent).
JeffMinton

yep easily above the min.

anywhere between a liability of 500-1500 aus dollars.
JeffMinton

could it be because im betting in a different currency?

seems unlikely
Darkpond1967

Hi Guys,

Thanks for responding to my questions.

I have decided I need to watch a lot more of the training videos and I am going to confine my Bet Angel activity to Practice Mode for the time being

I seems to me I really don't know what i'm doing yet and to prove the point i'm not even sure what the screenshot you can see if you click the link below actually is telling me.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1UEMPS ... a9B0ONZPpg

Thanks again, I'm sure i will have more questions, in fact i do but some of the seem so stupid i don't even want to ask them.
ShaunWhite

If people have a had a crack at finding an answer and can't, then it's not a stupid question.

That screen shot says that you've had an £80 bet on Kyllukey at about 160/1 , and it didn't win. That is, everything except a Kyllukey win will leave you at -£80.

From the tiny thin pink bit in the unmatched bets section, I assume you also placed a lay bet to close that back bet (good) but it didn't get matched.

You might want to start trading pre-play first to get the idea. In-play trading is a world of issues and understanding as the markets move so fast.
ShaunWhite

As a general thing, unless someone comes from the world of betting then automation really is going in at the deep end. Trade manually first to get the general idea, and then try and automate what's working for you.

Diving into automation first will probably just put you off and frustrate you, and you'll probably quit before you get going properly. Walk first, run later.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”