Scalping with additional rule

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
JonathanD

Good evening and firstly apologies for posting this as I'm sure all of you veterans will be in awe at the level of ignorance about to be shown.
Obviously a newbie but have tried really hard over the last month to get to grips with creating some of my own rules, in the main by using the examples given and then tweaking in such a way that they either become redundant within two races or I've retired to a south american beach by race three, only to be brought rudely back to Cornwall by race four! So thought I would ask for some help and hopefully if someone can point me, politely, in the right direction it may help others currently floundering a little.
Simply put, I want to back to lay for say a 25% profit, pre-race (two of these words may be correct but "not necessarily in the right order"). However, manually i do this by over-laying (made up word?) and then this gives a nice green figure across the field when it works.
So would like to know if there is a similar rule already in existence that I can successfully mess up or some idea of how BetAngel has a much more elegant way of achieving this.
Secondly, would really like to know how to then add additional rules, aware that compatibility is key and there should be no conflicts but literally its how and what to add, rule wise when say the outlined rule above fails to materialise then a plan B can be added.
Apologies for the lack of knowledge, its even more distressing being this dumb!
Best
Jonathan
Dallas

Firstly the thing to remember is no question is a dumb one if you don't know the answer so always feel free to ask away

I assume you want to 'fully' automate this?
ie, pick your selections in the morning or apply it to each fav in the race etc then leave it do all the betting through out the day?

If so then these Back2Lay and DOBing files will get you started
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=13629
viewtopic.php?f=52&t=11620

Additional rules can be added to these or any other automation file, just in the same way as your first are added, the following post gives a fuller explanation
viewtopic.php?f=47&t=11857

Or if you'll be sitting in front of your screen each race and want to make a decision at the last minute if and when to bet you can use the 'Global settings' on the main banner.
You would then place the opening back bet, the software would place the lay at the predefined percentage or number of ticks you have specified, the following is the start of the user guide section that covers that
https://www.betangel.com/user-guide/bet ... tings.html
JonathanD

Dallas, thank you for the speed of your response.
Will go through those links in detail and report back with any additional questions, hopefully displaying less ignorance!
Much appreciated.
Jonathan
JonathanD

Well I'm pleased to report there was actually a small degree of success but lets put that in perspective, what I had attempted to create before was frankly a disgrace.
Dallas, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, the fug hasn't completely cleared but certainly the potential elegance of automation was glimpsed.
It was an important first step and has certainly helped de-mystify the initially daunting task of rule creation, thank you.
Best
Jonathan
Dallas

JonathanD wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:38 pm
Well I'm pleased to report there was actually a small degree of success but lets put that in perspective, what I had attempted to create before was frankly a disgrace.
Dallas, thank you for pointing me in the right direction, the fug hasn't completely cleared but certainly the potential elegance of automation was glimpsed.
It was an important first step and has certainly helped de-mystify the initially daunting task of rule creation, thank you.
Best
Jonathan
I'm glad they've been of help to you, if you spend a bit of time having a play about with it usually all of a sudden it will fall into place for you, if not all of it certainly enough for you to make headway but feel free to ask any questions if you do get stuck on something
JonathanD

Well certainly its got slightly easier to understand but its still fun learning, what usually doesn't work too well!

Interestingly having read through a lot of the forum discussions there is a common theme with regards to success. That being in the short term for us newbies and without fail we think we've cracked it with a good run of results and then bang everything is wiped out with one or more major losses - proof if it was ever needed that reward only comes with hard work.

Anyway here's the question for a Sunday night, can the Close Trade Profit or Green All Profit with a negative value help minimise losses when DOBing or as before is there a more elegant/efficient method. Or perhaps the Stop Loss or Trailing Stop Orders can be used?

Best

Jonathan
ShaunWhite

The short answer is yes. And both methods you mention would be equally useful (I'd imagine they both use a very similar mechanism within BA). In fact you could probably say that any transaction whereby you plan to take a profit but not control the loss is just a bet rather than a trade.

As usual though it's not quite so simple as it sounds. There will be times when a price drifts quickly and relentlessly and your exit trade doesn't get matched, and there will be times when a price drifts markedly, your stop matches, and the horse recovers to your DOB price or better.

This type of trade isn't my bread and butter so I'd be reluctant to suggest what methods and price offsets work best. The impression I get is that most guys who DOB don't use a stop and instead use their ability to select specific horses to gain an edge. It's certainly not the case that you can DOB with consistant profits by selecting horses randomly so you either need to be selective, or to employ a more mechanical approach such as you're suggesting. Good luck with your journey Johathan.
JonathanD

Apologies, couldn't see where to post a new subject, hopefully one of you guys will see this.

I know its been mentioned but is this the best 'work round' to being to able to achieve Betfair SP instead of Best Market Price etc etc or is there again a better solution?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13577&start=10

kind regards

Jonathan
Dallas

JonathanD wrote:
Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:11 pm
Apologies, couldn't see where to post a new subject, hopefully one of you guys will see this.

I know its been mentioned but is this the best 'work round' to being to able to achieve Betfair SP instead of Best Market Price etc etc or is there again a better solution?

viewtopic.php?f=37&t=13577&start=10

kind regards

Jonathan
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=16838

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”