Strange Problem

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
nomadic

firedave wrote:Hi,

I've noticed a few hangs every now and then since using windows 7 64bit.
Yeah, I was just thinking as I was reading through these posts that perhaps it's a 32-bit vs. 64-bit issue? I upgraded a few months back from Vista 32-bit to W7 32-bit, and haven't encountered any issues. But I recall when deciding on whether or not to go to 64-bit at the time of the upgrade, I read something about how some software might not run as well as expected. Is CaerMyrrdin using 64-bit?
nomadic

nomadic wrote:I read something about how some software might not run as well as expected. Is CaerMyrrdin using 64-bit?
Sorry, I meant to say: "might not run as well as expected if using 64-bit rather than 32-bit."
mulberryhawk

Well I cant speak for Caermyrddin but im using Windows 7 64 bit and I have a feeling this may be causing the problem. Im hoping support can help, as they are looking into it for me. Pretty frustrating though
Bet Angel
Bet Angel
Bet Angel

We use Win 7 64bit in the office and don't see any problems. Please continue dialogue with support so we can narrow down the issue. Most problems can be solved or narrowed down to some specific issues, it just takes a bit of time sometimes.
CaerMyrddin

Hi everyone, sorry for the late answer.

Yes, I'm using Win 7 64 bit, but as far as I can tell, the problem seems to be connected to the GPU's drivers. I'm using an NVidia GPU btw.

I've managed to come up with a stable solution by creating a dualboot. When I'm working I use Win XP and BA works properly. So, the issue seems to be in the Win 7 drivers for my graphic card and it's likely that's the kind of problem that is affecting other people too.

Hopefully Microsoft or NVidia will fix this. ;)
mulberryhawk

Hey CaerMyrddin, I have a quick question for you or anyone who wants to offer some much needed help. I cant resolve the display issue with win 7 os so I got win xp to set up a dual boot. One small problem seems to have arisen though. My computer wont allow me to load up xp with windows 7 operational.

Did you or anyone have this problem, and did u uninstall win 7 before installing your dual boot? Im having an absolute nightmare with this so any advice would be greatly appreciated
lilgreenback

Hi,

Not sure if this is any help to anyone; I rebuilt my computer again recently and installed Windows 7 Ultimate wich runs BA no problem.

However I notice that you are using a Nvidia GPU I have a Radeon 5 Series in mine (not the top notch one I might add) and that runs fine, maybe you could try asking a friend to lend you theirs for the day with the drivers and try it out before you buy.

I wonder if that is the problem however my previous build had Windows XP and that ran a Nvidia Palit card no problem, XP seems to forgive so much though.

Hope it helps

LIlGB
mulberryhawk

Hi lilgreenback, thanks for your input.

At the moment im in the process of restoring my computer to the factory settings to load Win xp and set up a dual boot. However i keep getting an blue error screen saying that I have to check my hard drive to make sure its properly configured and terminated.

So im stuck basically. I know some of the more technical guys would be able to solve this problem easily but I am lost. anyone have any idea what to do?
andyfuller

Not got a clue what to do to fix it, but if you are a full time trader and this is stopping you from trading it might be worth taking it to a good local PC repair shop and getting them to fix it as I know from my own experience it can take me ages to fix something they can fix in a matter of hours so can be money well spent. Or perhaps even consider buying a brand new PC for a few hundred.

Hope you get it sorted soon, I can imagine how frustrating it must be!
haniukaz

mulberryhawk wrote:Hi lilgreenback, thanks for your input.

At the moment im in the process of restoring my computer to the factory settings to load Win xp and set up a dual boot. However i keep getting an blue error screen saying that I have to check my hard drive to make sure its properly configured and terminated.

So im stuck basically. I know some of the more technical guys would be able to solve this problem easily but I am lost. anyone have any idea what to do?
try to disable AHCI drivers in bios setup. if there isnt such option then you can try to load these drivers to xp install cd because if you have newer motherboard they all use AHCI connection interface and xp windows do not recognize your hdd because they are too old. hope it helps ;)
Zenyatta

I've had some performance problems with BA in general, but I assumed it's my laptop, I'm using a 2-year old fairly basic laptop and my hardware may not be fully up the job... BA keeps freezing up on me... the entire desk-top keeps slowing down a crawl, and the only way to fix the problem is to reset - obviously a major headache for me. (I'm using Windows Visa, so if my problem is the same as yours, its not in Windows 7). Like I said, it may be time for me to buy a new computer, BA seems to hog a lot of system resources.

You can imagine the problem. You put in one side of a trade, suddenly the whole computer freezes up, desperate you reset and log back on... only to find the other side of the trade was not made, the original bet stood in play and you lost the lot :twisted:

Thats another issue I have with trading, one computer problem, hardware failure, API problem at Betfair, software problem, internet connection problem, a non-runner (rule 4) cancelling the lay side...you can't gaurantee that you will close the trade. You can lose the lot.
Alpha322

CaerMyrddin wrote:Hi, just to let you know BA has been running perfectly on XP, for the last days ;)
That answers my question, i need to get XP installed on my machine
CaerMyrddin

Hi mulberryhawk.

The problem you're having is somewhat tricky and is connected to your HDD.

XP doesn't have IDE drivers and that's why you're having that bluescreen. If you know how to, you can make a tweak to XP and add those drivers. You will have to use something like nLite, but you must be sure about the drivers you're adding to XP.

If you don't have a clue what I'm talking about, try to get help from a friend that is more keen into computers.

Sorry about the late response!

(I confess, I'm addicted to trading :D )
mulberryhawk

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the tips, in the end I just gave up running BA on WIN 7 as it was just inoperable. I followed Haniukaz advice and altered the advanced visual performance settings to adjust for best performance. It now runs like WIN 98 (very retro) now but it runs almost perfectly.

Caermyrddin, thanks for the tips but yes your advice sounds like another langauge to me :? . I may have to ask someone with more IT knowledge than myself!
CaerMyrddin

No problem!

I hope it works fine for you.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”