How long will it take to learn to trade

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.

How many markets did you trade before you started being consistantly profitable?

19%
8%
2%
6%
2%
5%
7%
3%
10000+
48%

Total votes: 86
arbitrage16

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 4:04 pm
arbitrage16 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:57 pm
Locatat45 wrote:
Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:36 am
master the market...If it takes me 1 month to do that good for me, it it's 3 months, not so bad also.
LOL
tbf he did say 'to a reasonable level'. He should have enough idea to have a not too lossy try in that time.
But I agree with what you were pointing out, like poker it takes 5 minutes to learn and a lifetime to master.
It was more the framing that came across as arrogant - a range of between 1-3 months to master the market. With that kind of hubris I'd guess 18 months minimum :)
laspiedras365

IMO it takes a significant amount of time to learn to trade before you ever make consistent profits, it looks easy but it isn't and anybody new to trading who thinks it is will be kidding themselves.

Like everything in life it costs to learn and by that I mean you will lose your banks multiple times over, that's why it's best to start with a very small bank and learn from there.

Folks pay to learn whatever it is on courses e.g. how to be photographer or a driving instructor and pay good money for the experience, in the case of trading IMO your course fees are you losing your banks it's a fair call so just expect it.

I have traded on and off since 2007 , perhaps 3 years in total and I can say that I learnt the trade by losing over the 1st 2 years in total £1700 my course fee and hundreds of hours of my time and now I can trade fairly consistently for a profit.

My love is racing but it is probably the hardest to be consistent at..tennis is easier, basketball is fairly easy, but T20 and T10 cricket I find the easiest by far and has massive liquidity but I still predominantly trade racing then and the others as and when.

IMO the golden rules To be successful as all the profitable traders will probably vouch for - you need oodles of discipline, you must obtain value vs the likelihood of the trade event being successful or not - the odds must be in your favour so making your own price requisites before entry and exit is a must in my humble opinion.

Another thing, I have tried every strategy under the Sun over the years but ultimately I found the simplest has been the most successful for me anyway.

I'm no expert and there are folks on here who are experts and I take my hat off to them..but for me it took dogged persistance to trade profitably and not giving up when you've lost a pile of money. As i found too you need a supportive partner if you have one, avoid negative people !

This forum is a mine of good info and the Bet Angel software is nothing short of brilliant for me anyway..

Well that's my two pence worth for what it's worth!
Locatat45

I would say 2-3 years in an average case*. I think it takes at least 1000+ hours on trading screen for a trader to develop an impulse for successful trading.
eightbo

Locatat45 wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:10 am
I would say 2-3 years in an average case*. I think it takes at least 1000+ hours on trading screen for a trader to develop an impulse for successful trading.
Yes sometimes it's average or even small, but maybe by spending some money, you could make it longer. ;)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”