Data usage

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Kafkaesque

Yesterday's outage got me thinking about something about one of my backups. In case my main internet connection goes down it's simply to connect via my phone. I don't really use my phone for a lot of web-based things, so I have a rather small package deal in terms of data. Thus my question is: Does BA have any number for have much data BA consumes with Guardian running markets? Or have anyone tested it?
Dallas

I assume you mean when connecting to a VPS via your phone?, the data would be very little as its just the screen that's been updated, everything else is ran on the VPS its self
to75ne

download their exchange app, have it running while your trading (does not use much data) if your internet crashes, then close your positions out on the exchange app on your phone (4g). no need to be concerned about how much data ba would use.
Kafkaesque

Dallas wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:38 pm
I assume you mean when connecting to a VPS via your phone?, the data would be very little as its just the screen that's been updated, everything else is ran on the VPS its self
You're catching me out a bit here, mate :) This end of the tech spectrum really isn't my strong suit. What I mean is, if and when my wifi sets out, to then activate the mobile hotspot from my phone and run internet on my computer via the phone's internet connection. I haven't the slightest whether that's through a VPS, or whether we're talking about two different things? :?
to75ne wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:40 pm
download their exchange app, have it running while your trading (does not use much data) if your internet crashes, then close your positions out on the exchange app on your phone (4g). no need to be concerned about how much data ba would use.
Solid enough suggestion for a lot of spots. However, given that I'm mostly trading pre-match football, which is a lot less time sensitive than say horse races, I'd much prefer to keep the automations and/or manual trades ticking along rather than trade out, given that it's an option to do so.
ShaunWhite

I'm not sure but it's fairly trivial, you probably only want to run it for under a minute to close stuff out. You can get a hell of lot of numbers sent to you for the same amount of data as there is pixel data in a picture.

That said, I don't use my phone out and about much so was on a PaYG, but decided a £5/mo deal with some data was reasonable as insurance. I've tested it and the usage meter barely moves.

...just read you want to keep stuff running longer.....i'd get a samll data package if i were you, pretty cheap these days.
ShaunWhite

Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 pm
I haven't the slightest whether that's through a VPS, or whether we're talking about two different things? :?
VPS allows you to run BA on their servers instead of on your PC. While using VPS the only data flowing between the net and you is the mouse and kbd clicks and the image of BA's screen running at HQ...ie no BF data.

That's the theory anyway but is the constantly refreshing 'image' of BA shown on your screen using less data than the data feed from BF? I'm not sure.

The idea is also that you're BA machine is running 24/7, super fast with hi-speed connection etc and managed for outages by support staff, I assume. You just connect to it and use it, and it will continue to run if you disconnect.
Kafkaesque

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 4:06 pm
Kafkaesque wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:56 pm
I haven't the slightest whether that's through a VPS, or whether we're talking about two different things? :?
VPS allows you to run BA on their servers instead of on your PC. While using VPS the only data flowing between the net and you is the mouse and kbd clicks and the image of BA's screen running at HQ...ie no BF data.

That's the theory anyway but is the constantly refreshing 'image' of BA shown on your screen using less data than the data feed from BF? I'm not sure.

The idea is also that you're BA machine is running 24/7, super fast with hi-speed connection etc and managed for outages by support staff, I assume. You just connect to it and use it, and it will continue to run if you disconnect.
Cheers for that. One of the best feelings in the world is being aware that you now randomly know something useful, that you didn't know five minutes ago. Or maybe I'm just weird :lol:
ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:57 pm
I'm not sure but it's fairly trivial, you probably only want to run it for under a minute to close stuff out. You can get a hell of lot of numbers sent to you for the same amount of data as there is pixel data in a picture.

That said, I don't use my phone out and about much so was on a PaYG, but decided a £5/mo deal with some data was reasonable as insurance. I've tested it and the usage meter barely moves.

...just read you want to keep stuff running longer.....i'd get a samll data package if i were you, pretty cheap these days.
I do have a small package now. Without knowing what BA with Guardian running tots up in data though, I'm either running the risk of running out of data if it's more than a short outage on the main internet. Or chucking money out the window on a large package that I don't really need.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”