Attitude to risk and return. Am I going wrong?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
brimson25

I traded 5 races at Cheltenham yesterday. I won on all of them, by scalping and being very risk averse.

However, this is not an idle, annoying look how good I am post.

I was using £5 stakes, usually 2 or 3 trades a races, but sometimes just one. I feel I very vaguely know what I'm doing, but I would it know higher than that.

I won: 6p, 2p, 13p, 7p and 8p. A grand total of 36p!

Even if I had be using x10 the stake, x10 the return is hardly exciting. This leaves me feeling a bit flat. Perhaps I am too much of a gambler and actually prefer the steady drumbeat of losses and then a reasonable win every once in a while.

So, perhaps, I am:

- under staking?
- not making enough trades?
- too impatient?

I guess I would really like to know - when you go into a trade do you think: I would really like to make x% (even if that is a fraction of a %) or do you just want any green at all?

And has anyone else felt like this? I don't want to be greedy, but I'd like to envisage a path to higher returns than 36p!

Cheers for any comments.
wearthefoxhat

brimson25 wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 8:01 am
I traded 5 races at Cheltenham yesterday. I won on all of them, by scalping and being very risk averse.

However, this is not an idle, annoying look how good I am post.

I was using £5 stakes, usually 2 or 3 trades a races, but sometimes just one. I feel I very vaguely know what I'm doing, but I would it know higher than that.

I won: 6p, 2p, 13p, 7p and 8p. A grand total of 36p!

Even if I had be using x10 the stake, x10 the return is hardly exciting. This leaves me feeling a bit flat. Perhaps I am too much of a gambler and actually prefer the steady drumbeat of losses and then a reasonable win every once in a while.

So, perhaps, I am:

- under staking?
- not making enough trades?
- too impatient?

I guess I would really like to know - when you go into a trade do you think: I would really like to make x% (even if that is a fraction of a %) or do you just want any green at all?

And has anyone else felt like this? I don't want to be greedy, but I'd like to envisage a path to higher returns than 36p!

Cheers for any comments.
IMHO, when trading, the original stake can be a bit bigger. The reasoning is that it's a trade and the initial liability that is seen, is not the final amount as the trade will be closed out, either green or red. (If let it run, it's normal punting)

Your results are actually very good. Others can probably advise on money management and % liability...etc. The trading psyche is certainly different to normal punting for sure.

The target profit bit can be steered by the number of ticks, 1,2,3 etc or if using the In-Play Trader programme, a set profit for greening can be used with a little automation. (Exit point). This way, you decide the entry and the automation supports the closing of a trade...(the option to red trade is there too)...man and machine in harmony? :D
brimson25

Cheers, that's helpful.

And maybe setting targets would help me to feel a bit more meaning. I'll look into that.

I suppose I'm after a way to progress, as I am sure we all are. I don't mind 36p, as long as it's 36p + x this time next year :D

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”