Best trading books

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
brimson25

I've decided I'm in the market for some books on trading. There are hundreds! Are there any out there that have really made a difference to you? Conversely, are there any to swerve?

Grateful for any recommendations. Cheers.
Dallas

brimson25

Thanks, that's brilliant
brimson25

That thread is great. Cheers.
wearthefoxhat

The best trading book hasn't been written yet....why would they?
brimson25

Good question. People often ask it about poker coaches too in the poker world.

I've believed several answers about this and often switch depending on mood.

1. Of course they wouldn't.

But, having said this, I've been on Peter's masterclass, and while it did not deliver the golden bullet, it was certainly useful to me. So perhaps:

2. (Most) people like recognition. They like social interaction. If I got any good, I wouldn't tell anyone or need to, because I really struggle with groups of people. But some people like teaching. Good luck to them!
And

3. They like solid income, from classes and from books. And they figure someone is going to release this information... so it may as well be me, because at least then, I'll be paid for so doing.
wearthefoxhat

brimson25 wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:36 am
Good question. People often ask it about poker coaches too in the poker world.

I've believed several answers about this and often switch depending on mood.

1. Of course they wouldn't.

But, having said this, I've been on Peter's masterclass, and while it did not deliver the golden bullet, it was certainly useful to me. So perhaps:

Nice one. I'm booked on the next one in April. My reason for doing is to hear from someone who is a good communicator about the overall subject (also succesful) and absorb information about the whole spectrum of trading. Not expecting a golden bullet, but who knows, ply Peter with enough Guinness... :)

2. (Most) people like recognition. They like social interaction. If I got any good, I wouldn't tell anyone or need to, because I really struggle with groups of people. But some people like teaching. Good luck to them!
And

I can see that for sure. Some do like to pass on their knowledge, it's important to differentiate between what works for you and what doesn't. You tube is the very essence of this. I would get more out of the masterclass in a group than on you tube, so am willing to pay accordingly.

3. They like solid income, from classes and from books. And they figure someone is going to release this information... so it may as well be me, because at least then, I'll be paid for so doing.
Yes, I can see that too. Some books hold their value over the years, trading ones have to be updated with some of the new techniques, new thinking and new markets. The crypto market is good example, its' volatility can crush the unprepared trader, get it right... ;)
ShaunWhite

wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm
It's an income stream and boosts reputation which opens up other opportunities. You can tell someone how to trade without it automatically ruining your edge.
wearthefoxhat

ShaunWhite wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:33 pm
wearthefoxhat wrote:
Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:45 pm
It's an income stream and boosts reputation which opens up other opportunities. You can tell someone how to trade without it automatically ruining your edge.
Yep, sounds about right.
northbound

One thing that helped me massively in terms of mentality has been a Youtube poker vlog from a guy called Andrew Neeme.

Here's a profitable risk taker that shows you his ups and downs. The more you watch it, the more you realise that:

- You'll have winning trades and losing trades, and that's OK
- You don't need to trade every market and every situation
- It's OK to wait patiently for hours for a suitable trading situation to occur

All of this makes sense to a pro, but I can assure you that it took a while to sink in for a budding trader like myself (I'm in my first year) and watching his vlog helped a lot.
invisiblelayer

The best book you can own is the one you write yourself: the record of all your bets.
Euler

I tend to only read books by people who have actually achieved something and can give insight into it. Too many books are written to be sold. There are good books out there, just very few and far between.

My work has been often been in part and put into book(s) against my wishes, so I am thinking of writing one just so there is an authoritative guide.
ShaunWhite

If you do write a book I've got two words of advice...'proof reader' ;)
Euler

Yeah, always short on time to proofread!
ShaunWhite

Euler wrote:
Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:15 pm
Yeah, always short on time to proofread!
:lol: I failed the interview....it's one word.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”