why odds move?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
struttshumming

I am looking to find the answer to this question, and hope that someone can help me out with this. I am new to all this so thank you for your patience on this.

What I would like to know is why the odds value moves? I understand that money comes into the market from backers and layers, but how does this make the odds value move?

For example, on the ladder screen the odds value that flashes, money is added/ removed from the back and lay side and then the odds value moves up or down. What is the relationship between the money and the odds movement?
sa7med

its supply and demand really..

layers offer money for backers to take (or take money offered by backers) and vice versa

if all the available money at a certain price is taken, then the price will move (either lay or back) to the next available money and so on
Euler

It's a basic balance between backers and layers. If there are more backers than layers then the money available at those odds run out and the price moves one tick or vice versa.

Say there is only £50 left to back or lay, but you want to back with £100, the £50 vanishes and you are left with £50 on the lay side, which is your back bet. The odds move one tick as a result, repeat until end.
struttshumming

Thank you for your replies. Nice explanations, and now I understand. It is a bit like an opposite tug-of-war. Each side pushes the other and the stronger one will create the movement.

Now all I have to do is figure out what every one else is going to do.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”