Newbie with some newbie questions

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
betmonty

Hi all,

My interest in football betting was revived after having had 3 winning seasons in the early 2000's, but quitting because research became just too time consuming.

World Cup fever, so here I am. I ordered some books on Amazon, to refresh my memory and re-read basic concepts and so on. I also ordered the book of Peter Nordsted, so here I am.

So, I have a couple if questions, and I hope you can get me on the right track.

1. I am new. What should my starting bank be? Is it worth it to start say with 1000 euro and try to make this grow?
Also, in basic football betting, protecting your money is key. I am planning on putting max 2% of my bank on any given selection. However, when I enter a market laying a team, is there a way to make sure that I don't overshoot this 2%?

2. I have seen many ROI's flying around. What is a realistic target for a decent trader?

3. Resources. As in any potentially money making environment, people offer you the holy grail if you just buy their system, subscribe to their tips and so on. For instance, I found this website that is pretty decent in explaining some basic concept of Betfair.
http://www.betexchangetips.com/

Looks pretty ok, but then it says " to learn more about football trading" and it links to http://www.ftsincome.co.uk/?hop=rapidcd

Now this already looks a bit dodgy. I might be wrong though. Am I? Also, can the experienced users maybe suggest some webpages/resources/books?

4. Soccermystic. Saw some tutorial videos, looks great. But there are hidden charges? Data charges, I read somewhere. Can somebody confirm this to me and give me some detailed info about it?

5. I saw a thing called "PC" mentioned on the Betfair Forum. Is this commission? As it was my understanding, the commission is paid on each individual transaction. Am I missing something here?

6. And finally...following courses. I am from the continent, I have zero affinity with horse racing, and I understand the course focuses on this market. I understand the value of grasping concepts that surpass any market though. Is following a course a good idea?

I hope this all is not too much to ask for, and I also hope I can make a serious contribution to this forum in the future.

Oh yeah, Interwetten has both Uruguay and Mexico at 4.75 to win group A. Double chance that one and you are looking at odds of 2.38. I think that is way overpriced.

Sorry if I am out of line now :)

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”