Which version of Windows for a VPS

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
jimibt

the clock is synced by a windows service once a week by default. the rationale here is to ensure that the clock is up to date bang in front of the trading session. the clock CAN and DOES slip by varying amounts across 7 days (even if only a few seconds over that time period!)
Dallas

I just checked my net clock log on the VPS which re-syncs every 15mins
During that time on average it drops out around 20ms-30ms with a few entries as high as several hundred ms
jimibt

Dallas wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:39 pm
During that time on average it drops out around 20ms-30ms with a few entries as high as several hundred ms
if left for a week, that would be about 2-3 minutes - whao!! certainly worth recalibrating regularly then. I thought once a day was fine :D
Dallas

jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:45 pm
Dallas wrote:
if left for a week, that would be about 2-3 minutes - whao!! certainly worth recalibrating regularly then. I thought once a day was fine :D
Those larger entries were few and far between but even just working an average of 25ms every 15mins that's still around 2.4secs a day if left which isn't ideal when running automation and gathering data
PDC

Dallas wrote:
Are you able to check that log in the program you recommended Dallas, Net Time? Or are you looking somewhere else?

I am surprised the time slips that much, over the course of a week that is significant slippage.
jimibt

PDC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Dallas wrote:
Are you able to check that log in the program you recommended Dallas, Net Time? Or are you looking somewhere else?

I am surprised the time slips that much, over the course of a week that is significant slippage.
if you follow the steps in a previous post i added, it gives instructions for using the inbuilt windows sync tool via Task Scheduler. i have this runnning (albeit once a day at midday) on my VPS.
Dallas

PDC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:12 pm
Dallas wrote:

It has a 'view log' option within the program
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PDC

Just installed it Dallas and ran it, I was 42.67 seconds behind!

Thanks for the tips everyone.
ShaunWhite

Dallas wrote:
That's because world clock only gets you to within about 50ms (due to the variation in your ping so could be more) so that's less stable as a relative measure through the day than your server clock doing 1 resync a day and letting it run. I was always told you shouldn't resync more than once an hour but even that's a bit ott really.

w32tm.exe does the job without installing any freeware.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:30 pm
Dallas wrote:
That's because world clock only gets you to within about 50ms (due to the variation in your ping so could be more) so that's less stable as a relative measure through the day than your server clock doing 1 resync a day and letting it run. I was always told you shouldn't resync more than once an hour but even that's a bit ott really.

i agree and would attach my task schedule xml if xml attachments were allowed. that said, the link to the article from earlier is simple to follow. https://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/
ShaunWhite

Rumour has it, the 'proper' way is to install a rubidium clock in your server room and sync all your machines to that....just a rumour obv ;)
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:35 pm
Rumour has it, the 'proper' way is to install a rubidium clock in your server room and sync all your machines to that....just a rumour obv ;)
ANYWAY!!! .... :D
PDC

jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:32 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:
Dallas wrote:

i agree and would attach my task schedule xml if xml attachments were allowed. that said, the link to the article from earlier is simple to follow. https://www.pretentiousname.com/timesync/
Thank you both, I think I will switch to this method and just sync once a day as the article suggests at 01:15am each day.
jimibt

PDC wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:53 pm
jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:32 pm
ShaunWhite wrote:

Thank you both, I think I will switch to this method and just sync once a day as the article suggests at 01:15am each day.
i changed that time to 12:00 noon, so that all primed just ahead of trading start.
PDC

jimibt wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:56 pm
i changed that time to 12:00 noon, so that all primed just ahead of trading start.
Thats a good idea, I will go with 11am so it covers the early winter starts.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”