Strategy that needs a bit of advice

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
karl78

Hello All,

Wondering of anyone can help me.

I am trying to set up a strategy to where I am backing the 6th best horse in a race where I am able to green up when making a 1% profit before the race has even started.

The above numbers may alter after testing my strategy, however I have tried my strategy and for some reason it is not automating properly and not sure what I am doing wrong.

My conditions are as follows but I am unsure if there is anything I need to add or is there something I am missing?

So, I have started this 30 minutes before the off, may adjust this to a different time but this is my starting point. I have allowed then rule to trigger 1 time 5 seconds before the off. This applies to the 6th favourite in the race.

Parameters - Placed at the best market price, with a fixed amount of £50. Global setting - Action - Offset bet with greening with an Offset percentage of 1%. I have NOT added a fill or kill (this is something I need to read up on more) and I have offset batches set at 1.

Conditions -
The market is not in play
Green ALL Profit Condition when greater than £0.50
Number of selections is greater than 6.

Anyway, when I saved this then added it in nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to add further rules?

Any help would be most grateful.

Thanks

Karl
jimibt

karl78 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:01 pm
Hello All,

Wondering of anyone can help me.

I am trying to set up a strategy to where I am backing the 6th best horse in a race where I am able to green up when making a 1% profit before the race has even started.

The above numbers may alter after testing my strategy, however I have tried my strategy and for some reason it is not automating properly and not sure what I am doing wrong.

My conditions are as follows but I am unsure if there is anything I need to add or is there something I am missing?

So, I have started this 30 minutes before the off, may adjust this to a different time but this is my starting point. I have allowed then rule to trigger 1 time 5 seconds before the off. This applies to the 6th favourite in the race.

Parameters - Placed at the best market price, with a fixed amount of £50. Global setting - Action - Offset bet with greening with an Offset percentage of 1%. I have NOT added a fill or kill (this is something I need to read up on more) and I have offset batches set at 1.

Conditions -
The market is not in play
Green ALL Profit Condition when greater than £0.50
Number of selections is greater than 6.

Anyway, when I saved this then added it in nothing happened.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to add further rules?

Any help would be most grateful.

Thanks

Karl
Karl -you seem to have confused the conditions a bit. I'm assuming you are using a single rule to place the back bet. however, you have a condition: Green ALL Profit Condition when greater than £0.50. In effect, the back bet would only be placed if there was a profit of 0.50p exisiting on the race. As you are hoping to place a bet onto a clean market, this will never be the case. Remove that condition and add a seperate green up rule and you should be off to the races!! ;)
karl78

Thanks for the quick response.

So, I have taken out that condition and added a Close Trade Profit Condition with The selection's trading profit with greening (ticked) is greater than 50p and this is still not working.

Totally confused here.

Thanks

Karl
jimibt

karl78 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:38 pm
Thanks for the quick response.

So, I have taken out that condition and added a Close Trade Profit Condition with The selection's trading profit with greening (ticked) is greater than 50p and this is still not working.

Totally confused here.

Thanks

Karl
Karl - either attach the rule to a reply, or send me a PM if you'd rather not put the rule up for public display ;) and we can take it from there.
karl78

Karl 1.baf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jimibt

ok, took a look. looks like you may have misunderstood a few things on the rule. You were (as i had anticipated) applying a condition to the back bet that the market must be in profit by 0.50p before any bet was actioned. this of course cannot be the case unless you have already manually added a bet into the market. also, i wonder what this condition was intended to do??

I added it as a second rule that exits the market on a green if the profit is >0.50p. This seems like a wrong rule to me as you are already looking for an offset of 1% which would take you there anyway. However, I've added this rule and left it in the file (Karl v1.1). I'd think you'd wish to remove this greening rule. As a final note, I've added a fill/kill parameter. this means that the offset bet will only be added into the market if the opening bet is matched. i've set the fill/kill setting to 1800 seconds, which corresponds to your timewindow of 30 minutes. you may wish to review this.

As an aside, I'd suggest that you pitch your back bet ABOVE the current price and set a shorter fill/kill. On that basis, i'd also trigger it multiple times but only allow it to have one bet on the market once matched. The rationale here being that you probably want to back into a downtrending market, but grab the oscilating price above best. I've added a v1.2 to illustrate what i THINK you're really after.

Hope this makes sense...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
karl78

That is amazing, thank you so much for helping me out in your spare time.

I will give them a whirl

Thanks again.

Karl
jimibt

no worries. hope it helps. you will probably want to look at a few more variables to determine whether your selection is trending up or down ahead of placing the back bet. as it stands, it just blindly puts the bet on. this could see you launching into a drifting market with no hope of recovery (as it's most likely a long outsider). Historic Relative odds may be a little help here, as well as fixing the market order and looking at adjacent prices a few times, before placing your opening bet(s).
ShaunWhite

karl78 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:59 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:15 pm
no worries. hope it helps.
If I'd known you had some spare time jimi, I'd have got you to do a few jobs for me ;)
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:23 pm
karl78 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:59 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:15 pm
no worries. hope it helps.
If I'd known you had some spare time jimi, I'd have got you to do a few jobs for me ;)
Shaun -as ever, when *dodging* a deadline, spare time seems to accumulate and focus more clearly -lol

right, back to that *deadline* ;)
ShaunWhite

jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm
Shaun -as ever, when *dodging* a deadline, spare time seems to accumulate and focus more clearly -lol

:D To misquote the old adage, 90% of your spare time occurs in the first 10% of a project.
Especially true of Monday's, hence me metaphorically wandering around the office and chatting to you.
jimibt

ShaunWhite wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:40 pm
jimibt wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:31 pm

:D To misquote the old adage, 90% of your spare time occurs in the first 10% of a project.
Especially true of Monday's, hence me metaphorically wandering around the office and chatting to you.
yes, get back to dreaming :D

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”