Greening?

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
happiness70

Hello all,
As a new user who has undertaken match betting previously (albeit that I'm fairly new to that too), I have a query on the greening (across the whole market) function.
As I understand it with match betting, on a single horse, the stake is adjusted to allow for a profit whatever the outcome. I use Oddsmonkey for this so as not to tax the brain too much.
I notice that Bet Angel has the option to green across the whole market and I am not sure I understand why this would be necessary. Could someone help me?
For example, if I place only a single back and lay bet on a single horse with betangel, where a profit is shown near the name of the horse (on the ladder screen). Why would I then green across the whole field?
Thanks, and apologies if this is a daft question.
JTEDL

Are you matched betting or trading?

If backing and laying on betangel, then greening up will give equal profit whatever horse wins.
CallumPerry

If you Back for a price and Lay for a lower on a single horse the ladder will show a profit if that particular horse wins. If any of the others win, you break even. Greening up across all selections or hedging means you win a reduced total no matter who wins, it is guaranteed when the market ends that figure will be added back to your funds (- commission).
ShaunWhite

If you've only done matched betting then you're probably unfamiliar with losing, equalising a loss helps to preserve your working capital in much the same was as equalising your gains helps to smooth out your income.

Trading isn't about getting free bets, sp efficiency and your much larger number of transactions makes equalising your position the sensible choice in most situations.
happiness70

Marvellous, thank you all. that makes more sense. Much appreciated.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”