Results in Practice Mode

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
firlandsfarm

Hi all, I just want to check something out. I've not used Guardian as an automated BOT' much in the past but have a couple of things I want to try. Trouble is when using Practice Mode is there a way to record the winner of a race? The reports tell you what the BOT did and what your positions are in the market but not the result. Is there an alternative to plugging away manually with the Results pages in one window and the Market Report in another? It's very tedious! :roll:
Dr Ginhog

Hi,
This is a great workaround to the overwriting issue. Cheers dallas et al. As regards all files looking alike you could place a signal only rule in the rules file to trigger at start say with inplay as a condition in each baf and have the signal named same/similar as the individually recognisable BAF name. Each baf name would show up in the logs to identify what baf it is.Or you might do it at end time when Fav reaches fav 1.05 as the condition or both.
Another method I would use is go into settings and give each baf its own distinguishing colour and also give the baf its own profile setting
which has all or part of the original Baf name. I also like to put the colour abbreviated Blu,Yel,Gre,Bro etc both in the baf and the settings name.
When you are logging in to new version of BA for each baf when selecting the Profile setting the baf accompanying it should be in the
window as the last BAF used for that setting.
Another issue of course is the back and forth checking of the results . Of course this can be mitigated using a spreadsheet and having
all the race times and the results adjacent which saves on the back_n_forth. If you need my time saving method of downloading the results sorting etc send me a pm and I can send you the details..too numerous to set out here.

regards
firlandsfarm

grindhog wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:42 pm
Another issue of course is the back and forth checking of the results . Of course this can be mitigated using a spreadsheet and having
all the race times and the results adjacent which saves on the back_n_forth. If you need my time saving method of downloading the results sorting etc send me a pm and I can send you the details..too numerous to set out here.
That could be a neat idea grindhog, thanks for pointing the grey matter in the right direction but are you referring to scalping for the spreadsheet or using BA prices? (BA prices could only be used when there is an in play market, yes?) I'm just looking to see if I can find some quirky markets away from the more traded markets of racing and football, want to explore if there are any advantages with the less mature ones. May well be a complete waste of time but you don't know if you don't look. Trouble is that basically means there is no in play market so you can't get the result from the final in play prices. :(
Dr Ginhog

Hi Farlandarm,
I was replying to the similar post you made elsewhere and i assumed you were finding the collating of your baf results to a spreadsheet a bit tedious and you were looking for ways to minimise that and you also had the problem with market export sheets overwriting which Dallas solved for you.
Everyone who uses Practice mode and applies different variations of their strategy has trouble both keeping track of which baf is which
and also checking off the race results against their guardian screen results. What i was suggesting is a way to identify your logs by a signal
and also the other signal suggested most often will give you the winner of the race (FAV under 1.05) etc.The other bit I was suggesting was how to download all the racing results in an easier fashion for checking off against guardian. Hope i have not complicated matters as I sometimes do.

Grindhog
firlandsfarm

grindhog wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:40 pm
Hi Farlandarm,
I was replying to the similar post you made elsewhere and i assumed you were finding the collating of your baf results to a spreadsheet a bit tedious and you were looking for ways to minimise that and you also had the problem with market export sheets overwriting which Dallas solved for you.
Everyone who uses Practice mode and applies different variations of their strategy has trouble both keeping track of which baf is which
and also checking off the race results against their guardian screen results. What i was suggesting is a way to identify your logs by a signal
and also the other signal suggested most often will give you the winner of the race (FAV under 1.05) etc.The other bit I was suggesting was how to download all the racing results in an easier fashion for checking off against guardian. Hope i have not complicated matters as I sometimes do.

Grindhog
Hi Grindhog and thanks for contributing again.

I've solved the overwriting and 'filing' of Reports problems … thanks to Gianni for telling me where to go for a solution (well, we all make typos :) ) and to Dallas for spotting and correcting the typo :) The 'filing'' of P&L reports has been resolved by simply having a different installation of BA for each trial and only allowing one of each category per trial. For example … I have one install for Racing per trial and one install for Greyhounds per (maybe same) trial. While there is no overwriting between Races and Greyhounds it is a pain to separate them. Search per venue? Have you seen how many Racing and Dogs venues there are (yes I know you have, rhetorical) and then to make it even more difficult you have Newcastle and Doncaster doing both! It's much easier to have a separate installation for each saving to different folders. If you are covering Aus and US racing you also have to filter out "Pace" and "Trot" in the case of Aus and "harness" in the case of US if you just want pure Racing. I've put together some good old DOS batch files I run to filter, combine into one .csv and move the data from the BA ProfitAndLoss folders to my folders for filing. Finding an efficient way to import the winners into the combined individual P&L files is the last step.

Getting UK and IRE racing results is a doddle, I find Timeform the easiest, all the days winners on one page … the problem is the greyhounds and the Aus and USA racing … there are many websites offering the results but it's a pain when they are only displayed race page by race page and you have to keep clicking from the race back to the main menu and then on to the next race. I'm wondering if it would be worth exploring a web scraper that could be set up to go through all the links and present me with just one list … even better if the list can be pasted into Excel and then explored via 'vlookup'.
Dr Ginhog

Hi Firlandsfarm,
Seems like you are sorted.Glad to be of some help.
grindhog
Dr Ginhog

Hi Firlandsfarm,
I would suggest that you use bbc.co.uk /sport/horse racing from where you can copy/paste the days race winners results in just a click into excel and they can be sorted in race time order from there all in minutes.
grindhog
firlandsfarm

Thanks for that suggestion grindhog, yes that's good, the output is the same as Timeform through the Betfair website but in a different form and with Timeform you don't even have to click for the Meeting to be expanded … it's already done :) (https://www.timeform.com/horse-racing/results/yesterday) and they also include the Places if they are relevant. What I really want is the same for dogs (UK, IRE, AUS and US) and racing (AUS and US)
Dr Ginhog

Hi Firlandsfarm,
If you have not already checked this site out then its what your after.It has UK/IRL/AUS horse/Greyhound results.
https://promo.betfair.com/betfairsp/prices

Grindhog
firlandsfarm

yes, I have those files downloaded and incorporated into my database but … I forgot they give the winner even if no in-play market, thanks for reminding me grindhog, you're a star … what a dummy! :)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”