have to ask

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
stefan084

so I've been investing my time, money and energy studying, watching my race recordings etc. I bought 2 ebook type things--Caan Berry (total waste) and Pre Race Traders Bible (superb and has helped put everything together) . Both these are expensive and I don't have a ton of money but thought it would pay off and I believe it has. Just to set up my Betfair account was a pain in the ass because I live in the US--and not in New Jersey (only legal Betfair state currently) so it's not exactly legal yet. All this and I was doing great at Cheltenham and heard one of the horses in the race I was trading on was hurt. Then I looked up info on how many times this happens and learned 6 horses died last year at this same racetrack. I was crushed. Even though I truly love trading and even watching the races I can't justify participating in this. I'm honestly not trying to provoke anyone into an argument with this post because I really would like to keep going with this. I just want to know how people continue this if they are aware of these things. Of course there will be people that just don't really give a sh*t and make good money with it, but I have to think I'm not the only sensitive soul that does this (or did). When I learned this I immediately went into desperation mode looking for reasons to continue trading. It doesn't seem fair that when I was finally making decent progress in learning to trade I came to realize what happens at these races.
Derek27

Stefan, is it really relevant that 6 horses died at the same racetrack or meeting? Do you know how many horses died on racetracks in the last year? I'm sure it's in the hundreds!

I've never understood why animal rights campaigners are up in arms when a horse dies at the Cheltenham Festival or Grand National meeting, and it's branded all over the media, but they couldn't give a shit how many horses die at flat meetings or the rest of the year and don't complain about that!

I've worked with cobs and rode them when I used to help with Riding for the Disabled and love horses as much as I love cats. My justification for horse racing is that horses need to have a life, and having the odd hard race and risking injury is better than spending a whole life in a field. Kauto Star had a very prolific career on the race track but died in a freak accident at home, so these things can happen anyway.
MemphisFlash

Become a VET!!!!
stefan084

MemphisFlash wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:49 am
Become a VET!!!!
why? If I was a vet what would I do to help a horse with a broken leg? shoot it?
Last edited by stefan084 on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
stefan084

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:09 am
Stefan, is it really relevant that 6 horses died at the same racetrack or meeting? Do you know how many horses died on racetracks in the last year? I'm sure it's in the hundreds!

I've never understood why animal rights campaigners are up in arms when a horse dies at the Cheltenham Festival or Grand National meeting, and it's branded all over the media, but they couldn't give a shit how many horses die at flat meetings or the rest of the year and don't complain about that!

I've worked with cobs and rode them when I used to help with Riding for the Disabled and love horses as much as I love cats. My justification for horse racing is that horses need to have a life, and having the odd hard race and risking injury is better than spending a whole life in a field. Kauto Star had a very prolific career on the race track but died in a freak accident at home, so these things can happen anyway.
[/quoti

I didn't mean I was concerned about big meetings or small ones.I'm talking about all of them. Yes freak injuries can occur anywhere but they're obviously much more frequent when the horses are tired, bumping into each other,clipping the tops of obstacles etc. My thoughts too were "well it's probably better than just standing in a field" but then I see them jammed into stalls not wanting to race or some that are obviously already distressed before the race still having to run. There was a case like this I read about where that was the case and the horse ended up dying from exhaustion. By the way I'm not an animal rights campaigner-I don't go around with posters telling people about abused animals I'm simply asking for feedback so I can see both sides.
Derek27

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't referring to you when I said animal rights campaigners, just making a comparison between their views and reality.

Going slightly off subject, I sometimes feel that horses get better medical treatment than humans. I need to see a doctor but can't make an appointment unless I stay up until 8am. I had a friend who spent several months in agony waiting for a hip replacement, but racehorses that need an operation or diagnosis, I reckon, have much faster access to veterinary care.
LinusP

Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:18 am
Don't get me wrong, I wasn't referring to you when I said animal rights campaigners, just making a comparison between their views and reality.

Going slightly off subject, I sometimes feel that horses get better medical treatment than humans. I need to see a doctor but can't make an appointment unless I stay up until 8am. I had a friend who spent several months in agony waiting for a hip replacement, but racehorses that need an operation or diagnosis, I reckon, have much faster access to veterinary care.
Stay up until 8am?

Did the friend pay for the hip replacement? The owner would have done.
jimibt

MemphisFlash wrote:
Become a VET!!!!
there are times when i'm positive that you are growing up and maturing, seems you're just getting older!!
Derek27

LinusP wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:14 am
Derek27 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:18 am

Stay up until 8am?

Did the friend pay for the hip replacement? The owner would have done.
She didn't pay but her husband, while he was alive, would have paid a lot of tax ‒ it still doesn't buy the medical care horses get.
stefan084

jimibt wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:03 am
MemphisFlash wrote:
Become a VET!!!!
there are times when i'm positive that you are growing up and maturing, seems you're just getting older!!
:lol:
spreadbetting

stefan084 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:56 am
Even though I truly love trading and even watching the races I can't justify participating in this. I'm honestly not trying to provoke anyone into an argument with this post because I really would like to keep going with this. I just want to know how people continue this if they are aware of these things.
So you were more than happy to watch little fellas whipping horses to make them jump fences/run faster but were shocked to hear some actually die? I'm no big fan of the cruelty that goes on in these sports and rarely watch the race but I'd guess eating meat contributes a lot more to the suffering of animals than trading on horse racing.
stefan084

Well I spoke to the elders. They said " are you kidding me? Horses run and jump over stuff in the wild all the time...look at the wild horses on Assateague island, they love to run and they don't get the care that champion racehorses get"
Derek27

stefan084 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:06 pm
Well I spoke to the elders. They said " are you kidding me? Horses run and jump over stuff in the wild all the time...look at the wild horses on Assateague island, they love to run and they don't get the care that champion racehorses get"
You've got wise elders. ;)

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”