Hello to all, looking for a mentor!

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Scotty74

Hi all, as above looking for someone to help me with my learning of trading I've read several posts ect, but could be doing with further explanation for me.

Thanks
wearthefoxhat

I'm no mentor, but happy to post up some thoughts about my journey..so far. (if it helps).

Over a year ago, I made the decision to ask for some assistance and learn from someone who is well established in the field. (sounds familiar)
I had read a few books, which gave me a point of view but I knew it needed more. So I found that Peter Webb ran a masterclass, and immediately booked a place and a hotel room nearby. With regards to trading, the best decision I made.

One thing I found, was that even with all the examples/handouts, advice/guidance, I didn't have the right mindset, in as much, I hated to lose. This had to change and when it did and I became more accepting of losses, I began to win. (a life lesson too)

Here's some Rudyard Kipling and a snapshot from an old pdf that might help. (or not).

RK1.PNG
RK2.PNG
routine.PNG

I also found that Dallas posted many interesting and thought provoking automation files. (some beyond my understanding) but most easy enough to learn and test/tweak. The football ones were the ones that did the best.

I also read this forum on and off, not for a new ball busting strategy, (although there are some that give stuff away), but for the bantz. Always worth joining in and contributing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
luckytrader

re looking for a mentor. agree with everything you have said i packed my job in 8 month ago to trade full time i have read lots of books and watch all the you tube vids with peter webb i watch them over and over again untill i understand them . The first few month i lost everything i deposited just because i would not take a loss before the race off then blew it all in play not just once but time and time again till it got to the point where i started to question what am i doing .When i started i made sure i had enough money locked away to pay my bills rent for 6 month i have made some costly mistakes since i started and i am now playing catch up i have stopped thinking that i need to get all my money back in the short term. its now one step at a time no need to rush it i have now saw the light and allways protect my bank since i have stopped going inplay and taking a small loss i am slowly starting to get some of my losses back but i still have a very long way to go. i am round about peter webbs age so have started trading at a late age as i have being a gambler for the last 30 years. My only regret is that i never started trading 10 15 years ago. now every morning i jump out of bed excited and looking forward to getting stuck into the markets. It sure beats standing outside up a ladder for 8 hours a day painting windows.Yournever to old to learn new things i will still be learning till the day i die. but at least i will die doing something i enjoy.
Scotty74

Thanks for the replys, I started reading about 7 months back learning about the stock markets , I suffer a bit with dyslexia and Add, I'm in no way mathematical and have no experience with betting or sports so it's been a tall order for me, however the passion to learn has been full on, I switched from practice mode on Friday and Saturday to dip the toes in the water so to speak, quite surprised that I've left with 2 days well in the green, so silly questions are bugging me at the moment, like am I right in thinking that an offset bet with trailing stop and greening function? Will this rule automatically lock in profits straight to betfair account or will it be displayed on final green up?
ShaunWhite

Scotty74 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 3:50 pm
Will this rule automatically lock in profits straight to betfair account or will it be displayed on final green up?
While a market is open your balance is reduced by your total liabilities, profits are only realised once a market closes and settles.
Scotty74

Fantastic shaun thanks, I have one other above best market price! If we approach the market at say odds of 5 if the price point moves to 3 is this above or below?
ShaunWhite

Scotty74 wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 4:06 pm
Fantastic shaun thanks, I have one other above best market price! If we approach the market at say odds of 5 if the price point moves to 3 is this above or below?
Don't over-think it, 3 is below 5.

Being straight with you scotty you're not ready for a mentor, i think their value would be a bit over your head at the moment. But please do keep asking questions on the forum, everybody has to start somewhere.
SeaHorseRacing

1) remove the balance from betfair (hide it) forget all the trading systems, ups and downs... where’s the market going bullshit. Just concentrate on not checking your balance.
2)see if you can teach yourself to check your balance just once a week.
3) concentrate on not losing money. Cut those loses. If your in an open trade and and its in the and your thinking... I’ll cut it out soon. Cut it out now. Take that loss.
4) the day it all changed for me was the day I stopped letting most of my trades not even go a tick behind.
This sounds kinda going against the advice of what many say in chose a position and stick with it...
However for me, I don’t not let any loss. I mean any loss get out of control.
If it goes in the red. I’m out of it. 9 time out of 10.

Scratching is the most powerful part of trading.
Stick your money in, within a split second you can get your money straight back. You enter think you have value and you can get your money straight back when you realise you don’t have value. Think about it.
Nearly every trade I ever place is either a scratch or a profit.

Some may not agree but for me, these were life changing. All the other fundamentals will come from doing it long enough.
Scotty74

Last edited by Scotty74 on Mon May 13, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scotty74

All points taken and I will read everything over and over, cash account consists of money I can afford to use, one of the advantages of being successful in my skill set, I don't look at money like most altho I have the same respect for it if you get me, essentially the way I'm looking at this is as a hobby, I find it fascinating looking at charts and the ladder and stuff, ovbsly I can see what you guy's are doing here and can actually see it for myself, support, resistance, pullback, and conformation, homework req regarding form odds ect but fundamental taking positions to secure a percentage of profit relivent to stake size, I need a bias to swing me more in the more wins than losses over Time to increase growth with as much limited risk as possible, I'd like to achieve £1.80 per market, however I'm playing with money that I've already written off so any profit is profit gained never lossed if that makes sence, its the experience, the sacrifice of time learning which money will never buy.
Scotty74

luckytrader wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:04 am
re looking for a mentor. agree with everything you have said i packed my job in 8 month ago to trade full time i have read lots of books and watch all the you tube vids with peter webb i watch them over and over again untill i understand them . The first few month i lost everything i deposited just because i would not take a loss before the race off then blew it all in play not just once but time and time again till it got to the point where i started to question what am i doing .When i started i made sure i had enough money locked away to pay my bills rent for 6 month i have made some costly mistakes since i started and i am now playing catch up i have stopped thinking that i need to get all my money back in the short term. its now one step at a time no need to rush it i have now saw the light and allways protect my bank since i have stopped going inplay and taking a small loss i am slowly starting to get some of my losses back but i still have a very long way to go. i am round about peter webbs age so have started trading at a late age as i have being a gambler for the last 30 years. My only regret is that i never started trading 10 15 years ago. now every morning i jump out of bed excited and looking forward to getting stuck into the markets. It sure beats standing outside up a ladder for 8 hours a day painting windows.Yournever to old to learn new things i will still be learning till the day i die. but at least i will die doing something i enjoy.
I'm a painter to buddy using homer cash lol

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”