Very new to automation

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Galilee66

After 10 years of manual trading I am investigating the possibility of using automation. As you can see from the question below, I am starting from absolute scratch - or perhaps even a bit behind scratch. I notice that all the auto info mentions using Excel - I don't use MS Word - I use Libre Office. My question is: will Libre Office work with BA automation - or do I need to purchase MS Word? I hate paying anything to MS!!

Thanks
Galilee66
jimibt

BA automation uses Excel (rather than Word). unfortunately, the microsoft.interop between BA and Excel is vendor specific, so it will have to be MS excel. That said, excel is not required in order to use automation. BA has a built in rules engine which can be used without excel (the excel route is there as an option, it's not a requirement).

that may well be your best starting point and in actual fact, i'd reckon that 75% of automation users DON'T use excel, so you should get off to a flying start just by downloading some of the example rules that Dallas has kindly put onto the shared files section.
Galilee66

Thanks very much for your prompt and detailed reply. I will now discuss that with my advisor (my grandson who knows about such things) and see if I can advance along the mysterious path to automation. Hope you are well and enjoying life.

cheers from Melbourne
Galilee66
ShaunWhite

Galilee66 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 9:31 am
I hate paying anything to MS!!
You can get a lifetime licence to the entire MS Office suite for about £25 if you buy from the right place. I think that's reasonable value when your subscription to a trading application might be costing you £150 a year. Programmers like artists and musician all need to eat, I never begrudge paying the price of a decent lunch for all the effort it's taken and the benefit I get.
Galilee66

Shaun, I agree about paying programmers, artists and musicians for their work. I just have an irrational dislike of MS probably from the view that it appears to have taken over the world. Are you able to point me in the direction of the 25 GBP (about 55 AUD) lifetime subscription? I assume those are legal?

BTW - I enjoy some of your posts which seem to often inject some reason into otherwise potentially heated arguments.

cheers
G66

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”