Trades drifting away

We were all new to Bet Angel once. Ask any question you like here and fellow forum members promise not to laugh. Betfair trading made simple.
Kai

odchamp wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks for all your opinions and advise.
I will take a look at more videos from Peter, and trading range when it's at it's lowest ever or highest ever with only 2-3 mins to off.
If at the bottom of ranger and second is coming in i would assume that it has reached it's lowest point and expect it to drift out etc.

Thanks

Gary
The questions that Ajdal asked are spot on, if you can't answer those that means that you have no real trading plan in place.

Worth saying that it's very easy to misinterpret Peter's videos if you're inexperienced, not sure how many races worth of experience you have so far but you need a lot of it to be able to judge just how far a steam or a drift can realistically go depending on circumstances, and which prices are the likely turning points. Even if you can do that most of the time, you can still easily be wrong when a trend endlessly continues, take a look at the chart of the day thread and you'll see ridiculous price moves, so very important to keep your execution in check and take your losses correctly.

It was already discussed in similar threads how difficult it is to actually practice good trade execution with minimal stakes since you don't care about pennies and are happy to sit and wait for price to come back, but ask yourself is this trading style actually scalable, are you going to be able to do the same with say 300 stakes? If you think you're struggling now, wait until you start scaling up, but if you're determined to learn nothing can really stop you. To start off I'd definitely avoid being on the wrong side of late momentum.
ajdal

odchamp wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:23 am
Thanks for all your opinions and advise.
I will take a look at more videos from Peter, and trading range when it's at it's lowest ever or highest ever with only 2-3 mins to off.
If at the bottom of ranger and second is coming in i would assume that it has reached it's lowest point and expect it to drift out etc.

Thanks

Gary
What makes you assume that ?

Because it sounds logical ??.. because your data suggests at those points the %s suggest they are in your favour ??.. because a YouTube training video suggests that is the setup you are looking for ??... Because there is more money visually supporting it at that point than resisting above ??... near a resistence point ??... consolidation ??... etc

Ask yourself, when you made that assumption, were you falling foul of a confirmation bias...

Because the scenario you described to me equally suggested that the fav had never been more popular, but some traders were also thinking the 2nd had drifted too far... why would either drift ??... there isn't enough information there.. what if the 3rd had just bolted.. or started playing up ??... what would happen to the price of most of the more fancied runners ??

Not all trades taken are placed to be traded out.
ruthlessimon

Kai wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 pm
ruthlessimon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 pm
Kai wrote:
Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:33 pm
Sometimes I liked to think out loud when trading, that way when I analyzed my recordings I knew exactly what I was thinking, sounds weird but it's effective and helps to outline a clear trading plan.
The question is, how do you audit that? How did you work out what's working & what ins't?

Through actual trial and error? It's not like you have to start completely from scratch and invent unique trading styles
But how did you scrutinise that trial & error?

("this isn't working very well", "there's something I like about that trade", "I think this one could work longterm", "What if I shift this variable slightly, does it improve it")

To me, that's doable with data - I just cannot get my head around how you could do that type of analysis (efficiently) with videos!
SweetLyrics

Try out a strategy for a week with tiny stakes.

If it works, great, stick with it. If it continues to work, gradually up your stakes.

If it doesn't work, try something else.

Rinse and repeat.
ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 pm

("this isn't working very well", "there's something I like about that trade", "I think this one could work longterm", "What if I shift this variable slightly, does it improve it")

To me, that's doable with data - I just cannot get my head around how you could do that type of analysis (efficiently) with videos!
Last edited by SweetLyrics on Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kai

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:21 pm
Kai wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:47 pm
ruthlessimon wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:10 pm

The question is, how do you audit that? How did you work out what's working & what ins't?

Through actual trial and error? It's not like you have to start completely from scratch and invent unique trading styles

By actively looking for my own mistakes in bad trades (if there are any) and to form opinions on how I should have approached and traded this race so that I can try better next time on this type of race/setup. It's a process, the results are the only real data that one should need, for me it's the only real measure whether something is working or not.

Besides, are videos not considered data? Is there a better way to capture and measure an entire market, your every move on it, your every thought and emotion as you trade it? If so, I'd like to know about it :) Don't think I'm the first person ever to suggest recording one's trading. I believe that sometimes you can get more out of fully analyzing 1 race recording than superficially analyzing 1000. I prefer quality over quantity in everything that I do and that approach has been working for me.
ruthlessimon

SweetLyrics wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:04 pm
Try out a strategy for a week with tiny stakes.

If it doesn't work, try something else.

Rinse and repeat.
Kai wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 pm
By actively looking for my own mistakes in bad trades (if there are any) and to form opinions on how I should have approached and traded this race so that I can try better next time on this type of race/setup.
It's complicated though because how do we define "it works"/mistake? Does this work?

Also, let's assume this strategy does indeed continue falling for the next few months - does that make it right to discard what happened <July? Cos any new strategy has to somehow overcome the old bias (if we reuse the full dataset/videos) :?

I feel like I'm straying off-topic though :D
SweetLyrics

ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:02 pm

It's complicated though because how do we define "it works"? Does this work?
I can't see the image, but basically, if you get a net profit over the last several hundred trades, I'd continue to run with the system, and if you don't, try something else.
ruthlessimon wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:02 pm
Also, let's assume this strategy does indeed continue falling for the next few months - does that make it right to discard what happened <July? Cos any new strategy has to somehow overcome the old bias :?
Edges can disappear. You need to make a judgement call as to whether it's worth pursuing. Personally, I wouldn't continue with it if the sample since July represents hundreds of trades.
ruthlessimon

Kai wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 pm
Don't think I'm the first person ever to suggest recording one's trading. I believe that sometimes you can get more out of fully analyzing 1 race recording than superficially analyzing 1000. I prefer quality over quantity in everything that I do and that approach has been working for me.
I'm genuinely fascinated by your stance :)

I'll always record my trading - but the way I use them has changed drastically since I first started.

2017 etc, & I'd be using them for idea generation - reviewing what I did/think I should've done - then try my best to backtest it (by re-watching more vids..). The problem (other than being extremely time consuming!), it made me focus more on calling huge moves, pre-empting turns - curve fitting.

Whereas 2019, & I'll use them for spreadsheet error checking - & my trading is significantly better. Checking strategies which have come from "consistent generic/random backtesting". Could that be done in videos, yes - but it's just so inefficient. Unless someone tells you exactly where to look & when - but how many have that luxury?

This is also why people have got to be careful advocating subjectivity (i.e. manual), over objectivity (potential auto) - because two trader's could be trading the same pattern but one labels it subjective, the other objective (simply because the latter has access to better data). Someone saying "you simply can't automate it", is as bad as saying "no-one trades profitably"
Kai

I can see why you'd think it would be so time consuming if you're going to watch every video and re-watch it while backtesting etc. Don't know if these discussions are really helping OP, since he is trying to manually trade so I'm not sure why you're viewing everything from an automated perspective in the first place :) But that's fine, speaking from a manual trading perspective I'm not a fan of backtesting at all, don't see the point in simulating a trading environment when there are plenty of live markets around. I did not suggest watching every single recording, that just screams diminishing returns, not every trade deserves that much attention or any at all, probably only a select few in a trading session where someone seriously messed should be put under a microscope. Goes without saying, if you already know exactly why and how you messed up, then there is no need to analyze anything, you just try and do better next time. I don't see anything inefficient about that, in fact I'm probably obsessed with efficiency in general and I try to avoid diminishing returns wherever possible.

I am equally fascinated as to why and how this concept is so difficult to grasp :D Analyzing past performance in order to improve? I've been honestly doing that since my teens and my 20s when I was a competitive e-sports player, the coaches and mentors instill that approach from a young age so you get obsessed with trying to improve so that you can perform better, it's the same in regular sports and in other industries, I've merely applied this concept to trading like many others have done as well, there is nothing revolutionary about it.
ruthlessimon

Kai wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm
he is trying to manually trade so I'm not sure why you're viewing everything from an automated perspective in the first place :)
It's because the trader's struggling. In that instance, to me, the fall back is pure objectivity - a very rigid strategy. & this kinda links into how I'd define the quality of an edge

1st Class: Completely objective
2nd Class: Mostly objective
3rd Class: Mostly subjective

Every one of those "classes" carries "psychology risk"; but they carry different levels of "interpretation risk". Now, to me, especially for a newbie, that's a really important point. The less risk of misinterpretation the better - the problem, no-ones gonna wanna talk about it (myself included :) ) - because that trader would instantly become 100% correlated.
Kai wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:10 pm
I am equally fascinated as to why and how this concept is so difficult to grasp :D Analyzing past performance in order to improve? I've been honestly doing that since my teens and my 20s when I was a competitive e-sports player, the coaches and mentors instill that approach from a young age so you get obsessed with trying to improve so that you can perform better, it's the same in regular sports and in other industries, I've merely applied this concept to trading like many others have done as well, there is nothing revolutionary about it.
I'm just offering the other side of the argument :)

For me, that approach of analyzing single videos, didn't work - & without data I'd no be nowhere. Trust me, I'd love to able to use videos more effectively - because my trading still lacks in vital areas - but my biggest steps forward have always come from a spreadsheet.

Analyzing past performance to me, is something like: downloading the p&l, grouping it by race type - & seeing if there are any major patterns.

I would not wanna do that via videos!!!! (unless you're a masochist) :D
ajdal

Final post by me on this subject, more for fun, I'm bored and something for the OP (or maybe someone else) to think about...

So I'll ask the OP to imagine a trade... and ask do you recognise/identify with any of this...

Imagine a football match... outright betting.. 2 teams.. Man Utd vs Liverpool on neutral ground... eveybody agrees it's a good match... 50/50.. 2.0 each..

Now you decide how you're going to make some money... you agree it's a level match... but you slightly fancy Utd... you place 5 trades of £100 on Liverpool to lose (You have £1000 limit) @ 1.99,1.98,etc to 1.95... if they get matched, the price will surely go back to 2.0 (because everyone agrees at the moment that's the right price).. Jeez I'll even be able to sell them back at 1.98 for breakeven... easy money... great bet !!!

But no-one takes your 1.99... nothing is happening... and you do fancy Utd.. so you move them up 1 tick... boom... someone takes all your trades... and leaves £500 at 1.96

You think "Oh Good, that's what I wanted... they were good prices.. everyone agreed.. I'm matched... just got to be patient".. but the price is now at 1.96.. and you're at a loss already... but it's a good bet in your mind.. and you might even be right... but you're at a loss.

Queue jumper jumps in front.. 1.95

Next Trader comes in.. Liverpool fan... "ohhh yeah, people think L'pool will win today.. and I heard the Utd #7 ain't playing.. I'll have that"

Next Trader... also a Liverpool fan... "Look at all that money for Liverpool"... he puts down a wad at 1.93...

The trader who took your trades cashes a load in... he's now sitting on an average price of 2.1... it ain't going wrong for him from here..

But you're sweating on the price at ~1.94.. hoping some money will appear for Man.Utd...

Next few traders just see the money has come for Liverpool... they tell themselves Utd must have some problem... nothing has actually changed... just perception... "follow the money" they say to themselves... 1.9

You can't believe it... you're down 8 ticks already... what do you do ???

You say to yourself "Double up... bring my average down to 1.94... it's almost there already .. 1.9 is a fantastic price... everyone agreed 2.0 was a fair price... it MUST go up... I can still get out for no loss..."

You double up...

But the rest of the world just sees MOMENTUM... what they are waiting for... as far as they are concerned, the #7 is already confirmed he's not playing... the money can't be wrong...

1.85... 1.8...

You can't believe it... you're frozen... it doesn't make any sense... it must come back...

The team sheets get announced... #7 ain't playing for Utd...

1.75.... 1.7...

You've gone numb... what do you do... If you trade out you're down £100's... might as well let the match play and hope Utd pull it off... they still have a good team... you say to yourself "I'll trade out if they go 1-0 down"..

The other trader has sold out long ago for a huge profit (after taking what at the time seemed a bad trade) and is sitting down with a drink wondering who'll win...

The match kicks off... Liverpool score after 3mins and win 3-0... you lose the lot... suffering from the very start of the trade.. all the way through... and yet you're not quite sure how it went so wrong...

Where did it go wrong ??... because it must of as the lot has been lost, while the payoff was only ever going to be ???????????

It's literally Game Over...

Don't be that trader...

Good luck with your trading adventure...
Kai

ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 pm
It's because the trader's struggling. In that instance, to me, the fall back is pure objectivity - a very rigid strategy. & this kinda links into how I'd define the quality of an edge

1st Class: Completely objective
2nd Class: Mostly objective
3rd Class: Mostly subjective
The trader in question is honestly miles away from a concrete edge on this market at this moment judging by the video, I know it sounds harsh but he first has to go through the tiresome process of eliminating the classic mistakes that everyone makes when starting out like chasing losses etc. The biggest mistakes should be blatantly obvious in the videos, that's why I suggested to have a closer look, his perspective will be a lot more objective and neutral than it is in the heat of the moment while he is tunneling on a bad trade struggling to control all of the emotions, and missing out on all of the action in a fast moving market. Being able to replay the sequence of events and understand what actually went on both in the market and inside his head can be extremely helpful and educational. And you already know what people like to do instead, the complete opposite, they look at the big losses in their P&L and they try to ignore it and forget about it asap and continue trading, which means they will keep repeating the same mistakes. If he doesn't learn anything after re-watching a couple of recordings then so be it, can easily drop that approach and try something else.
ruthlessimon wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:15 pm
I'm just offering the other side of the argument :)

For me, that approach of analyzing single videos, didn't work - & without data I'd no be nowhere. Trust me, I'd love to able to use videos more effectively - because my trading still lacks in vital areas - but my biggest steps forward have always come from a spreadsheet.

Analyzing past performance to me, is something like: downloading the p&l, grouping it by race type - & seeing if there are any major patterns.

I would not wanna do that via videos!!!! (unless you're a masochist) :D
Then I probably shouldn't tell you how I do my testing because I wouldn't want you to have an aneurysm :D But that is fantastic news, if we can achieve the same goals with different approaches, the more the merrier :) Although I already knew that since people love their data on this forum. I for example don't even have Excel installed, last time I was forced to use a spreadsheet was in 2014 when I was messing around with basic LTD strategies and similar nonsense, I hated looking at data in general. So I don't collect or analyze any real data, I know it's out there if I need it but what little data I consider relevant for my purposes is all kept in the crude form of screenshots, videos and notes. Definitely not a fan of any backtesting, paper trading, practice mode or minimal stakes, I personally see all of it as just pussyfooting around and avoiding the real issues of trading and postponing the inevitable, there's nothing more time consuming than that imho. If I'm testing a new trading approach that means that I at least have a basic understanding of where the opportunities are and how I should trade it beforehand, so I prefer testing with normal sized stakes for a decent period and I'm confident enough to think that I can't do too much wrong, I like to improvise and rely on intuition as much as I can. When I do mess up sometimes with a more expensive mistake that to me means that it was a necessary lesson and I will definitely remember it, although I generally either do well or at least break even, and even by breaking even or making an overall loss I feel like I've gained invaluable experience and that genuine progress has been made for next time.

I should probably keep this to myself but it's late and I don't really care what others think :D I would never in a million years suggest this but sometimes I even like to "chase a loss" as a fun challenge, occasionally when I get something completely wrong when trying something new, if that market is still alive and if there are more opportunities around I will really start focusing and lower stakes to try and crawl back into profit, maybe risking an additional 10-20% if it doesn't work but I often somehow make it work and in the process I sometimes purely by accident discover a whole new strategy that I never even thought about, a strategy that I would probably not even dare to try in normal circumstances, which then snowballs into an automation idea and so on. So there, I said it, chasing losses is a fantastic strategy and everyone should do it :mrgreen:

But I swear there is something in this, when you're looking at a red it can sometimes bring out the best in you, sort of like when a big favorite in football is a goal down so now they have to try super hard to crawl back into the match, the market is not over until its over. In a similar way sometimes when I see a completely boring market with zero clear cut opportunities and while I'm waiting for something interesting to happen, I sometimes randomly start getting involved with lower stakes just for the sake of being involved, even if it's for a fast scalp or something, and then once I start getting involved I automatically get more focused and the autopilot takes over, you get the feel for the market and the order flow and you can sometimes end up building a decent position out of practically nothing, you may even get a bit lucky with a little move here or there and it can sometimes turn into a proper trade, even if there was no real opportunity to begin with. But I feel like I'm starting to ramble, don't think these last few paragraphs were of any use to OP, it would likely make him go bankrupt so please ignore them, I feel like I'm typing way too much on this forum :mrgreen:
ruthlessimon

Kai wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:56 am
they look at the big losses in their P&L and they try to ignore it and forget about it asap and continue trading, which means they will keep repeating the same mistakes. If he doesn't learn anything after re-watching a couple of recordings then so be it, can easily drop that approach and try something else.
This is one of those times where I could bring about the wrath of Peter - he said something similar; but I really dislike it :mrgreen: . it should be about expectancy, not biggest single losses. The easiest way to solve the "biggest losses" is by having a tighter stop. But a tight stoploss has just changed the entire expectancy. i.e. Instead of 1 massive loss, we've now probably got 10 minor ones - which might add up to more than a single disastrous trade.
Kai wrote:
I probably shouldn't tell you how I do my testing because I wouldn't want you to have an aneurysm :D But that is fantastic news, if we can achieve the same goals with different approaches, the more the merrier :)
It's been a good discussion imho. Two alternate views; plenty of food for thought - myself included!
Kai wrote:
I sometimes randomly start getting involved with lower stakes just for the sake of being involved
Right That gives me an aneurysm :D I guess party fueled by threads like dis one! (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19437). I am naturally risk averse though - probably explains a lot ;)
Kai

ruthlessimon wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 am
This is one of those times where I could bring about the wrath of Peter - he said something similar; but I really dislike it :mrgreen: . it should be about expectancy, not biggest single losses. The easiest way to solve the "biggest losses" is by having a tighter stop. But a tight stoploss has just changed the entire expectancy. i.e. Instead of 1 massive loss, we've now probably got 10 minor ones - which might add up to more than a single disastrous trade.

I really need to go to sleep Simon :mrgreen: I wouldn't be surprised that he said something like that, sometimes I feel like I'm just going around linking his video examples and paraphrasing things he has at one time said, or paraphrasing Anton Kreil :D But how is it my fault that he speaks the truth and that nobody else makes any videos?!?! I've already said that a good chunk of my understanding of trading comes from his knowledge and I've filled the gaps myself or from somebody else, I'm sure he learned it from somebody else and they learned it from somebody else who probably learned it from Jesse Livermore :mrgreen: Wonder what Jesse would say about out little exchange here if he was still around.
ruthlessimon wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 am
Right That gives me an aneurysm :D I guess party fueled by threads like dis one! (viewtopic.php?f=36&t=19437). I am naturally risk averse though - probably explains a lot ;)
I am sure that eightbo has all the tools and all the time in the world to become a monster trader, if he isn't one already ;) I really like advice threads, somebody says something and the others just fill in the gaps that the previous posters missed and the OP has direct benefit of vastly different points of views etc.
TipTopTrader

ajdal wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am
Final post by me on this subject, more for fun, I'm bored and something for the OP (or maybe someone else) to think about...

So I'll ask the OP to imagine a trade... and ask do you recognise/identify with any of this...

Imagine a football match... outright betting.. 2 teams.. Man Utd vs Liverpool on neutral ground... eveybody agrees it's a good match... 50/50.. 2.0 each..

Now you decide how you're going to make some money... you agree it's a level match... but you slightly fancy Utd... you place 5 trades of £100 on Liverpool to lose (You have £1000 limit) @ 1.99,1.98,etc to 1.95... if they get matched, the price will surely go back to 2.0 (because everyone agrees at the moment that's the right price).. Jeez I'll even be able to sell them back at 1.98 for breakeven... easy money... great bet !!!

But no-one takes your 1.99... nothing is happening... and you do fancy Utd.. so you move them up 1 tick... boom... someone takes all your trades... and leaves £500 at 1.96

You think "Oh Good, that's what I wanted... they were good prices.. everyone agreed.. I'm matched... just got to be patient".. but the price is now at 1.96.. and you're at a loss already... but it's a good bet in your mind.. and you might even be right... but you're at a loss.

Queue jumper jumps in front.. 1.95

Next Trader comes in.. Liverpool fan... "ohhh yeah, people think L'pool will win today.. and I heard the Utd #7 ain't playing.. I'll have that"

Next Trader... also a Liverpool fan... "Look at all that money for Liverpool"... he puts down a wad at 1.93...

The trader who took your trades cashes a load in... he's now sitting on an average price of 2.1... it ain't going wrong for him from here..

But you're sweating on the price at ~1.94.. hoping some money will appear for Man.Utd...

Next few traders just see the money has come for Liverpool... they tell themselves Utd must have some problem... nothing has actually changed... just perception... "follow the money" they say to themselves... 1.9

You can't believe it... you're down 8 ticks already... what do you do ???

You say to yourself "Double up... bring my average down to 1.94... it's almost there already .. 1.9 is a fantastic price... everyone agreed 2.0 was a fair price... it MUST go up... I can still get out for no loss..."

You double up...

But the rest of the world just sees MOMENTUM... what they are waiting for... as far as they are concerned, the #7 is already confirmed he's not playing... the money can't be wrong...

1.85... 1.8...

You can't believe it... you're frozen... it doesn't make any sense... it must come back...

The team sheets get announced... #7 ain't playing for Utd...

1.75.... 1.7...

You've gone numb... what do you do... If you trade out you're down £100's... might as well let the match play and hope Utd pull it off... they still have a good team... you say to yourself "I'll trade out if they go 1-0 down"..

The other trader has sold out long ago for a huge profit (after taking what at the time seemed a bad trade) and is sitting down with a drink wondering who'll win...

The match kicks off... Liverpool score after 3mins and win 3-0... you lose the lot... suffering from the very start of the trade.. all the way through... and yet you're not quite sure how it went so wrong...

Where did it go wrong ??... because it must of as the lot has been lost, while the payoff was only ever going to be ???????????

It's literally Game Over...

Don't be that trader...

Good luck with your trading adventure...
All I want to know is why would the Liverpool fans trade out? especially if they knew number 7 wasn't playing, wouldn't they put more on.

Return to “Bet Angel for newbies / Getting started”